In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

gun topic no kneeling allowed!

skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
Suppose a guy was 12 gauge rich, had more utilitarian(non collectable) shotguns than he needed, was thinking about selling them and turning some plain firearms into 1 sweet firearm. What would you buy in the 3-5 thousand dollar range? Let's hear what you guys would buy in that situation.

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    I suppose it all depends upon how much money the plain jane 12 gage arms would bring. If they would bring 3-5k, that is probably the range of rifle I would buy. Or combinations of nicer arms to meet the 3-5k range.[:)] I'd probably be having a short discussion with Mark Christian. [;)]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    a highly engraved hi-point
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can't go wrong with a Sig 210. Or a Korth.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The question is highly subjective. The only gun that would interest me right now would be a good target 9mm pistol. The very best production gun of that discription in my opinion would be a S&W 952 and a good one would probably run three or four grand.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    The question is highly subjective. The only gun that would interest me right now would be a good target 9mm pistol. The very best production gun of that discription in my opinion would be a S&W 952 and a good one would probably run three or four grand.

You are absolutely right. It is completely subjective! I would probably lean toward finding a good deal on a vintage S&W or an older Winchester
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 204targetman

Sir, it is a pleasure to meet a gentleman of such fine taste! And will it be tucked in the front of your sagging jeans, or carried by your boy Rock-Rock?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think the question, when you're talking about that kind of money, is are you buying something to shoot or to collect. Really kind of takes you down two different paths. One could make the point that $3,000 to $5,000 of cheap AR's stashed away could bring a stunning return on investment the next time the Democrats want to rev up the AWB train.

It will happen again, and a $600 AR will easily sell for $1,200.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't limit myself to 1 high dollar gun.
    If I were to dump some of my guns - I'd get a cowboy action rig + a couple spares (lever actions & side x sides).
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,140 ******
    edited November -1
    Python, Royal Blue[^][^][^][^][^][^]
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First Gen Colt 1873
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not enough information to point you in the right direction, would you want a semi automatic, a side by side, an over and under, a pump action? Do you want a collectible or just a high quality field gun? These questions you have to answer before we can steer you in the right direction.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1

Guess ya never laid yer paws on a Sig P210.
    There's a good reason you pay North of $2500 for one nowadays.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are correct I have never shot a 210. If you are willing to send me yours for a week perhaps you could change my mind. [:)][:p]quote:Originally posted by gunnut505

Guess ya never laid yer paws on a Sig P210.
    There's a good reason you pay North of $2500 for one nowadays.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A classic light weight English style SxS in what ever gauge would cover most of my hunting. Right now I lust after one in 28ga, though that is smaller than I really need, so I'll have to have at least 2. Of course I want the stocks fit to me.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sig P210 is prolly a sweet hand gun, however looking at GB auctions I will need to become rich to afford one :)

That said IF I get rich quick I will buy two one for me and one for ...............me.

Accuracy is great but that is one gun. I can buy about 15 AR-15s for that money and spray bullets all over the place, the Sig guy would never get a shot off :)

[:D]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks
    Not enough information to point you in the right direction, would you want a semi automatic, a side by side, an over and under, a pump action? Do you want a collectible or just a high quality field gun? These questions you have to answer before we can steer you in the right direction.

Not looking to be steered because I know what sort of things I like. I want to know what you would do with 3-5 thousand that isn't earmarked for anything responsible. The bills are payed, the repairs are finished, the kids college fund is fine, what firearm would you get just because you want it?

and no this is not a GAW![:D]
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skicat
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks

Not looking to be steered because I know what sort of things I like. I want to know what you would do with 3-5 thousand that isn't earmarked for anything responsible. The bills are payed, the repairs are finished, the kids college fund is fine, what firearm would you get just because you want it?

and no this is not a GAW![:D]

a 1970's Colt Sauer in a short action, preferably a 308.
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mlincoln
    quote:Originally posted by 204targetman

Sir, it is a pleasure to meet a gentleman of such fine taste! And will it be tucked in the front of your sagging jeans, or carried by your boy Rock-Rock?

Its a highly engraved hi-point. I wouldn't carry something like that. ruin the collector value.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,512 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That money will get you a very nice 12 Gauge O/U, skicat.

I didn't spend that kind of money on one, but bought a very nice Winchester 101 a couple of years back that is a pleasure to look at and a joy to shoot.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

I didn't spend that kind of money on one, but bought a very nice Winchester 101 a couple of years back that is a pleasure to look at and a joy to shoot.

An over/under is actually one that I don't own.

yet[:D]
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know what I would select, but it would most likely be in full auto and belt-fed.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    Python, Royal Blue[^][^][^][^][^][^]

Most certainly a python. Friend of mine is bringing one over tomorrow that his son bought from a retired Secret Service agent. The action had been worked over by their armorers when he was active duty. As I understand it's like butter .... totally smooth on double action and super crisp on single.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anything Merkel...[;)]
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So I have a number of real purpose built numbers matching vintage military sniper rifles...

And a few rescued - salvaged pieces that were incomplete or had been neglected - abused - forgotten - Bubba butchered that I have resurrected with available - affordable materials that shoot and are neat to look at - have a high fun factor - draw attention...

There are a few that have escaped me - that I never had the chance borrow - test shoot - handle - fondle - appraise or sell...

Krag jorgonson glass topped sniper rifle

Lee navy straight pull glass topped sniper rifle

1917 American built US enfield glass topped sniper rifle

(On US guns a Warner swazey sighting unit is OK)

Full length Italian carcano glass topped sniper rifle

They simply never appear - they are my unicorns.

It's rare to even find a picture or reference to these

They are all interesting platforms if you can find any info it's worth looking at

Mike
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

Depending on what options you get... A grand will get you one of these.... (I love it...)

35407-02.jpg
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suppose a guy was 12 gauge rich, had more utilitarian(non collectable) shotguns than he needed, was thinking about selling them and turning some plain firearms into 1 sweet firearm. What would you buy in the 3-5 thousand dollar range? Let's hear what you guys would buy in that situation.

Are you still wanting a shotgun???
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A couple freedom arms.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A high end M1A.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67

There are shotguns I still would like to own. I want a trench gun, a lever action 10 gauge, a Win model 12 in 20 gauge, an O/U like Don suggested, and I've always wanted a Win 21 but those get spendy in a real hurry. I have similar lists of rifles and handguns in my head and I keep watching all the time.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67

There are shotguns I still would like to own. I want a trench gun, a lever action 10 gauge, a Win model 12 in 20 gauge, an O/U like Don suggested, and I've always wanted a Win 21 but those get spendy in a real hurry. I have similar lists of rifles and handguns in my head and I keep watching all the time.

I've owned several Model 12's, 3 in 20ga. Someone always comes along and offers me way more money than I have in them, and, "poof" they're gone. One I sold was a 20ga, 26" improved cylinder, it was a great quail gun and I wish I still had it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    Anything Merkel...[;)]

Angela Merkel?

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-Angela-Merkel-gaffes

She does have some knockers, I'll give her that.