In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ammo availability if TSHTF

slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Ammo is tough to find and expensive just because of who we have in the Whitehouse. Any thoughts on what would happen if the whole system of government collapses? Banks close. No food in the stores. No gas at the gas station. Maybe the guys with insanely large stockpiles of ammo are not insane after all?

Comments

• NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I see you are starting to catch on.

Ammo is not the only thing you should have on hand. Know how is one of the most critical things to have. Know how to do all (or as many as you can) things that other people do for you now. Know how to fix things, know how to use tools, know how to catch and clean game, know how to.........

Also stock or have on hand other things to make it though too. Tools, food, water, parts, anything you have to rely on someone else to get now. Of course most of us do not have enough money to do it all but get what you can.

Also prep for what YOU expect the SHTF will look like. What works for one person may not work for another. Say you live in the south and worry about flooding and storms in the south a generator and lots of fuel might be a good idea. If you are planning for a real long term SHTF I would not even consider that but put that money into good hand tools that will last for years of hard use.

There are whole websites dedicated to this kind of stuff so there is way more then can be said in a few paragraphs.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yap, wish I had of stocked up when the getting was good. And people thought I was crazy?[;)]
  • PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I doubled the size of my garden this year, with lots of extra jars. Also stocked up on lids for years to come.
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ammo, the next currency of the world!

Lance
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    We are learning how to can foods, growing more in the garden. I am going to do more hunting this year than I have in the past 10. Brushing up on my first aid, getting re-certified in CPR, reading my combat life saver stuff again.

We may not need it, but those that are not prepared will wish they were. One of the biggest things we can do, however, is pool our knowledge and resources. As someone above just said, you can't do it all yourself. A band of people with different skill sets working as team will be much more likely to survive IMHO.
  • lovethemcoltslovethemcolts Member Posts: 536 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say that the industry is doing a good job or meeting the increased demand for firearms and ammo, albeit at the expense of the secondary market. Demand remains high, but is down from the surge in the months immediately following the election, and supply is now catching up. The threat of additional legislation, assault weapon bans and magazine bans remains and is likely to grow rather than recede. As a result, this may be a good window of opportunity to buy a new firearm. While it is possible prices will drop if we reach an over supply situation, I personally think that is unlikely in the next two or three years unless the Republicans win an awful lot of seats in the next congressional election.

The strong sales of pistols and lack of availability in pistol caliber ammunition leads me to believe that many people are worried about rising crime and are arming themselves. This is consistent with the up tick in people taking concealed carry courses. One has to wonder if the same lines that produced pistol ammo have been converted over to rifle calibers and if we are destined to see shortages in one or the other for some time to come.

Finally, the recent sales explosion in firearms and the sudden lack of availability in the market should be a lesson to anyone sitting on the survival fence. Do not put off your preparations any longer. A sudden change can suck all the supplies out of the pipeline and result in months of backorders for long term storage food, water filters, medical supplies, etc. The just-in-time supply situation is a precarious one and any small shock can upset the balance, resulting in shortages and price increases.
  • mauser54mauser54 Member Posts: 3,733
    edited November -1
    A person needs to prepare and store anything and everything that you will need to live from day to day! When those days arrive, and they are coming, being able to go to the store and get what you need, regardless of what it may be, isn't going to happen. Need to store up ammo, guns, food, clothing, medical supplies, tools, and the list goes on. If a person isn't already in the process of doing this, then the time for doing it is fast coming to a close and you won't be able to. It will be to late then.[:(]
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, if everything collapses, think I may be OK.

Have been stockpiling shelf stable long term foodstuffs- dried corn.

And since I will not be able to hire a plumber, have made sure I have a supply of copper pipe, so that I can make any repairs I need.

And to be able to bake bread, a good supply of yeast.

Now if I can just get a supply of charred oak barrels laid in........

[:p][}:)][8D][:I] Barter, anybody?
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    My dad and I were just discussing this. We both feel that if it hits the fan, and the government collapses, we would return to a tribe style life. Families would be banding together to share knowledge with each other but keep others out that would take but not give. Canning is a good skill, so is hunting, fishing, defensive shooting, first aid, disease prevention, mechanics, the list could go on and on.
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    you people are nuts

whats the matter w/ you

I need to go get some buckets and dry ice for the 350 pounds of wheat I bought.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think we all expected a run on certain guns and magazines but who could have foreseen a run on all calbers of ammo?
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, most people are idiots. So what if you have 20,000 rounds of ammo, it only takes one shot to kill you and then someone else will have 20,000 rounds of ammo.

I have a few hundred rounds war reserve and before those are gone I guarantee either I will be dead or I will have captured additional arms and ammo. No way around it.

Be smart with your money. Buy yourself a steak instead of a hotdog. Go on a vacation (you can't capture one of them), or build yourself a Furhrer Bunker.[;)]

Getting outfitted to reload is great for cheap peacetime practice too.[:)]
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    For arms all you need is a accurate .22 rifle and a brick of ammo. I must admit I have a little more than that, but this would serve you as well as any of the more exotic arms out there.

IMHO basic essentials, and a good plan is worth 100 times more than all the whiz-bang, gee-whiz items people are buying like mad.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    Yeah, most people are idiots. So what if you have 20,000 rounds of ammo, it only takes one shot to kill you and then someone else will have 20,000 rounds of ammo.

While a do agree with this it is not the only point. If you only have a limited amount of ammo how do you plan on staying proficient and training new shooters, either new members of your group or young ones growing up?

I dont have a stock of ammo to fend of hordes of attacking zombies, I have it to use for many reasons.
  • entdocentdoc Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    certainly it is true that "skill sets" are more important than equipment and supplys, however, supplys are important. If your attitude is that "I will probably be shot early on so why equip myself" then go about your life as usual. If you have a plan however or riding out a bad situation then ammo is a must, and lots of it. It will be a great barter item as cash will be worthless. common calibers, 22, 223, 308, 9mm, 45, 40 will be the best. I disagree on the .22 rifle being the best all around for such a situation, I would pick 308 or 223. I highly suggest you read James Rawls book "Patriots". It is an excellet primer for such an event set in a fiction novel, it will change your mind on survival preparedness.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by entdoc
    I disagree on the .22 rifle being the best all around for such a situation, I would pick 308 or 223.
    That is what is great about the United States, the ability to disagree! My supressed 10/22 will fetch me small to medium sized game without much noise or fanfare.
  • entdocentdoc Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree on the disagree thing. No doubt , the 22 is a great gun to have for that, it just would not be my choice for an only gun.

One other thing, do not underestimate how much food is required for a family. To supply a family of four adult sized people for one year you would need, 600lbs of wheat, 100 flour,110 corn,100 oats ,200 rice, 100 pasta. 52lbs of fats and oils; 150 lbs of legumes; 240 sugars; 300 dairy. that is a lot of food to store
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Todesengel
    quote:Originally posted by entdoc
    I disagree on the .22 rifle being the best all around for such a situation, I would pick 308 or 223.
    That is what is great about the United States, the ability to disagree! My supressed 10/22 will fetch me small to medium sized game without much noise or fanfare.

If I could ONLY have 1 gun it would be my suppressed 10/22 as well. It can and will so many things (not all) that larger guns can do plus a lot the larger ones can not. I would like to have a second gun in a larger gun though too.
  • jon ojon o Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing to fear except fear itself!!
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

While a do agree with this it is not the only point. If you only have a limited amount of ammo how do you plan on staying proficient and training new shooters, either new members of your group or young ones growing up?

I dont have a stock of ammo to fend of hordes of attacking zombies, I have it to use for many reasons.

Easy, you keep a "war reserve" of a certain number of rounds. You can expend and replace anything else. If you shoot up all of your training ammo and don't have the cash to replenish, you are SOL. You do not touch your WR ammo until you are ready to go to war.
    Let new shooters aquire their own ammo.
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    something that no one has yet mentioned:
    If we can't even get food supplies from normal sources...one of the first things you should do in an SHTF scenario is raid a pharmacy and steal all the antibiotics, BP meds, insulin, anti-virals etc that you can carry.

Even if you don't need BP meds (although I bet some of our older members do) you can barter meds...especially antibiotics. When conditions turn absolutely septic, life will start sucking without modern medicine.

You can't really stockpile your prescription meds (unless you are Dr. House and write your own)
  • PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Well, if everything collapses, think I may be OK.

Have been stockpiling shelf stable long term foodstuffs- dried corn.

And since I will not be able to hire a plumber, have made sure I have a supply of copper pipe, so that I can make any repairs I need.

And to be able to bake bread, a good supply of yeast.

Now if I can just get a supply of charred oak barrels laid in........

[:p][}:)][8D][:I] Barter, anybody?

You don't need charred oak barrels, charred pieces of oak in a bottle accomplishes the same thing. Search the internet and print any info that can be of use, the internet will be one of the first things shut down!!!!!!!
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Donkey- you are correct. I keep stuff I may really need in the ink-on-paper format.

You are correct on the use of a char stick if white is not your color. And yes, am looking at barter. The material is dividable, transportable, sought after, multiple uses, does not spoil, and improves with age! And while Foxfire did print a basic guide, I learned from the folks that did it. [:p]
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm afraid Meds will be what does me in. BP to be exact. Have enough for about a year that about as long as you would want to store some anyway, Shelf life.

As was said not a huge amount of ammo, but if what I have does not do it them I'm dead anyway. Have enough to load all my Mags for my Ar to include the new ones coming in.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope most of you live on your own land in a rural area, otherwise your stockpiles will probably do you no good at all! Do you think Uncle would not empty the cities of any resources or move the people to "safety". Do you think if the SHTF they will let you go down the road with your pick-up full of contraband and survival stuff? You better have a safe place in the deep forest and you better all ready be there if you really think you are going to hide out, with access to fresh water. Even then who knows what kind of bands of looters their might be. Can you and your family protect your property from all sides at all hours? Don't ya think Uncle would come in force and round you up anyway?
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Good thing I've got odd calibers here - they'd be worth more and are less likely to be stolen.

I'm a little low right now:
    Got about 50 lbs of danish Krag, 8x58RD
    Got about 75 lbs of .45/70Gov't (Federal Classic and Remington)
    Plus whatever I have in 12 gauge and .22LR (CCI Standard for when using silencer and MiniMag for anything else) - pretty much 50-60lbs there also.

I'm low... I know.