In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ATV

will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
I want one but don't know how much to pay, what a good one is, 2wd or 4wd, etc. Any ideas would be appreciated.It will be for hunting and cruising the desert, if that matters.
Eat healthy, exercise, avoid smoking........Die anyway. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~

Comments

• will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    I am thinking about buying a new ATV 4 wheeler

I am looking at the Polaris 850 or 1000[?]

also considering the Honda Rincon[?]

any thoughts or advice from you wise ole men or women [?]
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have one myself, but have seen this question asked at many a forum on the Web, and the consensus seems to be 1. Honda 2. Honda. If in doubt, Honda.
    edited November -1
    7MM, sounds like that may not fit in the washes around here, got any honda's?
    Eat healthy, exercise, avoid smoking........Die anyway. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
    edited November -1
    I got a Chevy but it won't jump jack anything. I shoulda got a 4 wheel drive. Hey 7MM, I got a good dawg hunt in this afternoon. You shoulda heared them dawgs singin', it was real pretty. Got kinda ugly when that Model 700 went off. Shot one at 20 yds, just to see how close I could get him.
  • Dave3Dave3 Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have one because I don't have time to ride but have friends with some polaris sportsman 500's and have found the engine breaking is great in the hills. You don't even need to touch the breaks going down very steep hills. Pretty expensive though and dang big maybe to big
    "Protect the Right to Protect yourself"
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our family has about 8-10 units....all but one are Honda's. They spend less time in repair shops than any other make. Go with 4x4....expect to pay $5000+ for new....used ones are hard to find in good condition, but they are out there...Don't laugh, but in Argentina and Brazil I saw them using them on the street for transportation just like motorcycles... [This message has been edited by Rembrandt (edited 12-29-2001).]
  • HighNoonHighNoon Member Posts: 444 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you live near a military base or national forest (rangers), keep an eye out at the local dealerships because after a year or two of use they trade them in and you can get a good deal with the warranty intact. I got a Suzuki QuadRunner and Honda FourTrax that were both a year old and only had 160 miles on them. Full warranty, great condition, and saved a couple of thousand dollars.
  • gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have owned several new honda's and currently own a Polaris, cant complain about any of them.I bought a new polaris explorer 250 "2 stroke" 4x4 last year and have had no problems at all. The only thing is it sounds like a chainsaw The one thing I like about the polaris is that all the bearings have zirk "sp?" fittings and are easy to maintain whereas the honda are "sealed" units that have to be replaced. The xplorer does all I need a atv to do, and the price was right. $4000 new, even for a entry level atv it rides and climbs better than any of the honda's i've owned the 4x4 is much better than the honda and you can turn it off and on with a switch. That being said I have never put a honda in the shop and think they are solid machines.
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • OrphanedcowboyOrphanedcowboy Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have Polaris 500 4x4 sportsman in camo, only thing I ever had go wrong, before this post(cross fingers) was the starter, twice, second time took it to a rebuilder, and haven't had a lick of trouble from it since
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com www.texdeer.com www.Orphanedcowboy.com
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey wil,whats wrong, cant figure out how to get in the motor pool, keys are always in the M1123's. Ha Ha!!!
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • 4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    i own a 99 450 es honda. it just tripped the 4000 mile mark no problems as of yet. i shift gears from the handlebars via shift buttons. the new 450 es comes in and out of 4-wheel drive. it took me about 3 months to decide on the honda at a cost of 5600.00. being honest i have never seen a 4-wheeler i did not like. i rode a 660 yamaha grizzley the other day and loved it. basically what ever you buy the next day there is going be a bigger and better machine. this how business is done. when you do get one be carefull they can cause some pain. it is amazing how a 48 year old man can turn into a teenager over nightbut the bones will not heal as quick. let me know what you get and good luck.
  • 44.Special44.Special Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    rancher es honda
  • R WallerR Waller Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    for those of you who dont know, here is a forum ran by highlifter, an ATV aftermarket company. check it out, but remember, lots of chilluns have ATV's and computers... http://moon.shreve.net/~hilift1/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is bigger always better when it comes to ATV's?I kind of like the 2 wheel drive Bayou 350 cc by Kawasaki. The differential makes it real handy to turn.