In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question about Montana

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
Since most of us here are car guys and appreciate hot rods I just gotta know something about Montana.

Can I legally hotrod a car there? You know, real hotrod with big honkin carbs, headers, glasspacks and so on without needing to be rich and have TONS of paperwork like in PA?

The state I am leaving (PA) has gotten so bad in regards to hotrodding unless you have tons of $$ you will have problems building anything less than a showcar hotrod. PA now has stricter emmisions than CA! Altleast in CA you can take a 20 year old car and do as you wish. In PA the inspection rules have gotten so friggin tight that you need to find a car from the 60s to start with, then you need a special purpose title and so on. The days of opening the hood, yanking the engine and installing something that guzzles gas are all but long gone. There are exceptions but you have to live in a full emissions inspection county. If you live in a Visual only emissions county hotrodding is not going to happen. I had to sell my short bed Chevy a few years ago because it had a Holly carb with an Edelbrock intake, headers and dual exhaust, could not get it legal without returning it back to factory condition.

BYE BYE PA!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Taking the family on a little trip this weekend. Was thinking maybe up near Troy & Libby. Anything up in those areas of not to miss or is it mainly forest? MIGHT try to go to Glacier but thats an 8 hour haul 1 way and we only have 3 days to be gone.

I got a big laugh from this blurb at the end from the Forest Service website
    Grizzlies, black bears and other large wildlife may be encountered here. Use proper food storage, keep a clean, odorless camp, and avoid close confrontations. Males in the fall, and mothers with young may be aggressive if you get too close, so view them from a safe distance. Firearms are not necessary. [:p][:p]
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/kootenai/about/forest/featured_areas/cabinet_wilderness.shtml
  • Options
    Reaper1862Reaper1862 Member Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know it used to be that you could drive as fast as you wanted as long as there was no traffic a bunch of years ago and cops wouldn't care.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    I'm not a car guy, but did like there for four years. Met a few folks from other states who were amazed we didn't have state auto inspections -- if that's what you're inquiring about. In town, there might be noise laws that would get in your way.

Warning: I loved Montana -- nice country, nice people -- but laft because their state financing is all screwed up. They have state income tax but no sales tax, so it's a nice place to visit or retire to. I was dumb enoough to be making a salary, so left.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Correction -- I used to "live" there, not like. Although I did like it there.