In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Officer: Homeowner wrong to confront intruder

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in General Discussion
An intruder awakens you trying to get inside your home. Still on your property when you find him, you tell him to leave and warn twice, yet he still approaches. He covers the last five feet between you, and what would this officer have you do? Wait til your wife is dead before stopping him!Someone explain to me why Michigan cops pronounce judgements to the press regarding ongoing cases.BTW - by their own admission, the cops didn't arrive until seven minutes after being called.
Officer: Homeowner wrong to confront intruder Thursday, November 29, 2001By Ken Kolker The Grand Rapids Press
CEDAR SPRINGS -- The Cedar Springs police officer who investigated the fatal shooting of an intruder said the homeowner who fired the shot never should have confronted the man in the first place."In my opinion, I would not have gone outside," said Officer Jack Peters, who had searched for the intruder just an hour before the shooting at 153 W. Pine St. "If the guy's just outside, you wait for the police to get there."Peters said the shooting of Kevin Lee Salinas, 22, followed a tense confrontation in the back yard of the homeowner, 48-year-old Robert Clarke, just before 3:30 a.m. Saturday.But the officer said investigators found no evidence the intruder committed a felony.Kent County Prosecutor William Forsyth was expected to rule late this week or early next week whether Clarke, who lives at the home with his wife and five children, should face a criminal charge.The Clarke family had never given police any problems, and Clarke has no criminal record, Peters said. "They're good people," he said. "I'm sure he felt his family was in danger. He obviously did."Shortly after 2 a.m., Peters was patrolling West Pine Street, about 100 to 200 yards from the Clarke home, when he came across two hitchhiking men who appeared to be drunk."My lights hit them, and they took off running," he said.One man hid behind a tree and a telephone pole, but he was wearing an orange shirt and was easy to catch, Peters said. That man was drunk and wanted on a warrant. After arresting him, Peters and a Kent County sheriff's deputy turned to search for the second man, who turned out to be Salinas, he said.Peters said he got Salinas' name from the other man, then called for him. "Come out Kevin," he said he yelled. "We're not going to arrest you if you haven't done anything."I knew he wasn't going to come out," he said.Salinas was on probation for a larceny conviction and was to appear Monday in Kent County Circuit Court to stand trial for a July incident. In that case, he allegedly assaulted an ex-girlfriend after breaking into her home, then knocked down a neighbor's porch with his car while trying to chase the woman and the neighbor.After failing to find Salinas early Saturday, Peters drove the other man to the Kent County Jail in Grand Rapids. He said he was headed back to Cedar Springs, still not far from the jail, when he got the second call. He was the only Cedar Springs officer on duty.Clarke's wife, Valerie, was awakened by a noise and woke up her husband, Peters said. The husband kept a 9 mm semi-automatic handgun in the house. The family told police the intruder was checking their doors and windows.As Robert Clarke was investigating, his wife was calling 911 at 3:27 a.m., police said.But Clarke was carrying a flashlight, not a gun, when he opened his back slider door and looked outside, Peters said. He shone the light on Salinas, who was near some outbuildings in the back yard, Clarke told police."He believed he was trying to get into those buildings as well," Peters said.Instead of leaving, Salinas walked toward the light and the house, Clarke told police. Clarke said he got his gun and watched as Salinas kept walking toward him.Police have said Clarke warned him at least twice to get off his property, but he kept approaching. Clarke told police that Salinas appeared drunk but gave no indication he was armed, Peters said.Salinas was on the back porch, about five feet from Clarke and walking toward him when the homeowner pulled the trigger, he told police. The shot struck Salinas in the abdomen.A Kent County 911 dispatcher was still on the phone and heard the shot. Clarke went into his house, put away his gun and waited inside with his wife and five children.Kent County sheriff's deputies arrived seven minutes after the 911 call, followed less than two minutes later by Peters.Salinas lay on the porch bleeding but still conscious when police arrived, Peters said. "He was stating that his stomach hurt and that he wanted to throw up," the officer said."Most of the time, he wasn't making any sense."He was curled up and kicking his legs, making it difficult for rescue workers to give him first aid, Peters said. Salinas died about eight hours later at Spectrum Health Butterworth in Grand Rapids.Peters said investigators have found no evidence that Salinas tried to break into the house or committed a felony."If Salinas only walked onto someone's property and was jiggling door knobs -- we've been able to discern so far that's what it was -- that's trespassing," Peters said.The Clarke family has "expressed remorse for the situation, not so much for the action," Peters said. "He's going to be second-guessed the rest of his life..."Rockford District Judge Steven Servaas, who would hold the preliminary hearing if charges were filed against Clarke, said a citizen has a right to use deadly force "if a number of things occur."Servaas said he wasn't aware of the details of the Cedar Springs case and couldn't discuss it since no charges have been filed.In the case of self-defense, a person needs to show he had no reasonable way to retreat, he said. He might be able to run from a knife, but not a gun, for instance, Servaas said.And they are not likely to face charges for shooting a burglar inside their home, Servaas said."The rule of thumb is, if someone is breaking into your house, you have no duty to retreat from your house," Servaas said. "That's your last bastion."Forsyth decided earlier this month not to charge a 50-year-old Grand Rapids man who shot and wounded a teen-ager who reportedly kicked in the man's front door.The prosecutor called the shooting justified.A 1990 state Supreme Court ruling allows a person to use deadly force against fleeing felons, but it doesn't appear that would apply in this case since Cedar Springs police said they found no evidence that Salinas committed a felony, and he wasn't fleeing.Servaas relied on the Supreme Court ruling a decade ago when he dismissed charges against a Sparta man who shot into a car being used by four teen-agers after they broke into his West Side General Store on Camp Lake. Forsyth had charged the store owner with reckless discharge of a firearm. http://gr.mlive.com/news/index.ssf?/news/stories/20011129gcsfolo29110804.frm [This message has been edited by Josey1 (edited 11-29-2001).]

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    Could be kinda hard to convince the Grand Jury you were in fear of your life when you had to leave your home to confront the guy.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to live in Michigan--they're not friendly to the idea of people defending themselves there.Now I live in South Carolina, where you have no responsiblity to "retreat " while on your property-- it's so nice to live someplace "civilized".
  • Options
    rodgergliderodgerglide Member Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Going outside was DUMB! If someone came into my yard,I would call for help.But if he came inside when warned not to,they would be found horizontal with a weapon in their hand,even if they did not have one when they were verticle.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always heard that if you shoot someone, make sure they are in your house ... and you feared for your life, or lives of your family.It sounds like there was time for a "warning" shot, but weather thats relevent or not I don't know ... if he'd had a Mossburg pump 12 gage, racking a shell into the chamber may have been enough to scare the guy off ... inside or out.
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also live in SC, they passed a law awhile back if someone is breaking into, or threatning you on your property, they are as good as "bait" for lead poisoning.They made it to where a person can protect life and property without fear of legal retalation from perps. You must have reasonable cause to use force but it's a lot better then most states!I had to shoot a pit bull a few weeks back and neighbor was raising he** about it, cop told him, he was lucky both he and the pit bull were not lying in my front yard. the guy asked why and he said " you are trespassing and making threats, he has legal right to protect himself and property" The neighbor also got a 360.00 fine for a loose dog.He viloated the lease law! Man was he pi**ed!
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in Michigan and I wasn't aware of the way my state handles this type of situation. So, I'm glad I read this post! I probably would have stayed inside my home too, but it's hard to say what I would have done for sure (kind of like the thread about the store clerk with a .38 under the counter). As far as I'm concerned, after being warned to leave twice the jerk got what he deserved.If I were on that jury the homeowner would be NOT GUILTY.G36
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm kinda' on both sides of this one. I don't think the homeowner should have shot the guy, BUT....I, obviously, wasn't there. Outside, the perp poses no real danger to me or my family so long as we're inside. I've BTDT but the guy was in my bedroom when I double tapped him. It'll be intertesting to see where this one goes. Sure would help the homeowner if the Grand Jury has about 8 closet NRA Life Members on it. Hope someone on the BB can keep tabs on it for us.Mudge the defender
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Too easy to "Monday morning quarterback" this event, but my initial feeling is that the homeowner over-reacted.If the dude came into the house or was trying hard to get in, then yeah, shoot his *. But going outside to waste him is a little overboard.I've been drunk and stumbling around on somebody else's property more than once in my life. Since I meant no harm to anybody, I'm glad they didn't decide to gun me down.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Quote:"In the case of self-defense, a person needs to show he had no reasonable way to retreat, he said. He might be able to run from a knife, but not a gun, for instance, Servaas said."
    You have GOT to be kidding me!! Shooting a guy with a gun is self defense, but if he's got a knife and charges you with it, if you DONT turn tail and run away you are going to be charged????Talk about turning America over to the scumbags. That's truly insulting and idiotic.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Couldn't the guy have stepped back inside and shut the door? What if the person stumbling around was deaf and had a car accident and was looking for help? As a newspaper boy I used to walk across yards all the time to deliver papers. Sounds to me like the homeowner was looking for a chance to shoot somebody. If somebody is prowling around in your yard you keep the door LOCKED and call the police. If he is beating the door down and screaming murder, that's another matter. Had a case a while ago when a local homeowner heard a noise outside and figured his car, parked in his driveway, was getting broken into again. He grabs his shotgun, opens the window and sees somebody in his driveway, and plugs the guy delivering the newspaper right in the chest. The guy died and the homeowner had the book thrown at him.Using a gun is a LAST resort.
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Lawful Use Of A Firearm For DefenseA license to carry a firearm is not a license to use it. Under Florida law, you can use deadly force only if youreasonably believe yourself or another person to be in danger of death or serious personal injury, or to prevent theimminent commission of a forcible felony (such as rape, robbery or carjacking). There are two important concepts toremember: The first is the "Duty To Retreat"; this means that if you can avoid the danger by running away, then runaway, no matter how you may feel that this affects your honor. The second is the "Castle Doctrine", which meansthat you do NOT have a "Duty To Retreat" when in your own home or place of business; you can stand your groundand defend your premises and possessions even if you could avoid personal danger by running away.It's clear to me. "In your home" No mention of your yard. Defend your premises..probably open to how the judge feels on your date in court.A bad shoot in FLA. Mich?
    Home of the Blue AngelsProviding a home for discontinued .22 Revolvers and PistolsHaving a gun in your possession is a full-time job.You cannot guess; you cannot forget.NRA & 2nd Amendment Sisters MemberNever miss a good chance to shut up (Will Rogers)[This message has been edited by 22WRF (edited 11-30-2001).]
  • Options
    semi-autosemi-auto Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If a person had a reasonable belief that he could be overpowered and he and/or his family in danger of serious harm, then the boogy-man gets the double tap! Better to live, and let the lawyers do their jobs. No jury will buy the crap the DA's peddling.
  • Options
    LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I was on the jury he wouild be NOT GUILTY. The laws on protection of life and property vary from state to state. I dont even know exactly how they stand in my state. (WV) All i know if some ahole comes on my property and harrasses me after being told to leave. I would be nice enough to donate him a part of my property. Might even make him dig the hole. WV country boys dont hide under the bed and wait for the cops to "save the day"
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have opened the door and ordered him to leave, and also asked if he needed any help. Lacking a verbal response, I would have closed the door, lights out, and watched him while calling the cops. He could have been a diabetic in insulin shock, or just a drunk guy. I would not have gone outside, but would have been armed in case he tried to get in before the cops arrived. But I wasn't there. If it's open season on drunks stumbling around the wrong property, I guess there won't be any drunks left soon. The shooter couldn't possibly have known his record. Could have been a neighbor who had 12 too many at the local tavern.
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By statutes if anyone on your property disobeys you to cease and desist of aproaching your person ,its consideredsuch aproach is INTIMIDATING and withINTENT to do HARM ,guy inside yourfence ,in your property ,disobeys yourorder to leave after warning 2 times the 3rd just shoot to stop him ONCE if you shoot him too many times it will be mansslaugter,many variables apply but undercommon law in your property you are "GOD" andcan give "heck" to the one asking for it !
    I judge Thee!, Not for what you are , but for what you say !