In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Your gun cleaning/maintenance preferences?

stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
edited March 2003 in General Discussion
I use a combination of Birchwood Casey, Hoppes, Kleen Bore and Tetra products.
This works ok for me, but I would like to use one family of products just to simplify the purchasing process.
As it is now I have to shop at least 3 different places to find all of my supplies.
Problem is, I havent found the one manufacturer that has the best products for every cleaning chore.
What does everybody else use??

Comments

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use hoppes solvents and rods for my centerfires and rimfires. I use outers for my .50 muzzleloaders and my shotguns. My main grievance is that all the manufacturers have different threads for thier rods. I also hate it on hoppes that you can screw the brushes onto the any segment except the end one. I'd love to use the same rod for my pistols, and just move the brushes to the proper length.
    It was suggested to me to use apple vinegar for my muzzleloader so I'll give that a try next time.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    BerettafanBerettafan Member Posts: 592 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also use Hoppe's. Occasionally I may swap it for something else, but it usually works just fine for me. I use it on my rifles, shotguns, and pistols; no problems.

All it takes for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing.

For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration; the streets are safer, the police are more effective, and the rest of the world will follow us into history--Hitler 1937
  • Options
    pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    I use hoppes on my guns for the intial cleanup...then put some Blue Wonder down the barrel and let it sit for a few minutes...then put patches through till they come out REAL clean. that blue wonder stuff gets what the hoppes leaves behind.

"The only way American citizens can adequately be protected from terror and violence is when" those in authority protect us from those who would harm us, instead of protecting us from ourselves.
  • Options
    VonflakVonflak Member Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use G.I. bore cleaner (it's cheap) Hoppes smells too bad.
    I'm gonna try some Ed's red here real soon.

sometimes I'll dig out the JB bore compound.

Outers for general oiling/cleaning.

Finish up with a coat of RIG, or Sheath for a carry gun.

Cpl RRG, Oxidation NCO
    byf
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I collect the products I like whenever I'm in the store or gun show and frankly I haven't used them up fast enough to feel inconvenienced by the fact that I may go to a couple locations to keep them in stock. I have Hoppe's and Outers and will use either. My goal is to do the initial cleaning with a nitro solvent. Once the gun is clean, I get the product off the metal, and use the patches down the barrel until they come out clean. I then switch to oil. Break Free is a great product, and I just got in a supply of Dri-Slide, which will become one of my staples again as well now that I've got a source for it. I don't mind Outers or Rem gun oil really for general lube or a bit of polish on the slide, but I like the better products where it counts inside.

Life NRA Member

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
  • Options
    loruslorus Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmm... I always used BreakFree. Genereous amount of that liquid together with using a bore snake makes the bore of my old SKS shine like a mirror...

Should I use something else?

Eugene.
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    BLUE WONDER GUN CLEANER
    I was skeptical until I tried it, then GB user knovum sent me a sample. WOW! This stuff removes deposits and crap from bores that have been "Electro-solved"!

Also be on the look out in the not-too-distant future for a product from Ken & Co. that is a dry lubricant, simular to a Teflon caot is the best I can describe it. It applies like car wax and is the neatest stuff since moly-coating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fm_cr.jpgcomp45.gif

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    on my center fire rifles I use hoppes on patches and wire brush, patch dry and then use hoppes copper cleaner and let stand over night, patch again, they come out green. have to do it 3 or 4 times, before copper is gone. easy way of doing it.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Butch's Bore Shine and on the tough jobs a dab of JB Bore Paste. Don't seem to need much else, but I do want to try the Blue Wonder. What ever happend to the give away anyway?
  • Options
    Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    JB's non-embedding Bore Paste is the absolute best at removing heavy copper fouling IMHO. If you break in a new barrel by cleaning it alternately with JB's you'll have very liitle copper fouling in the future. I also like the Butch's bore shine oil,real slick stuff that stands up to temperature.

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878<P>
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shooters Choice or Montana Extreme wet patched and allowed to sit for anywhere from 15-45min, then another wet patch, allow to sit, then dry patch, then oil patch, then another dry patch. I will also add that Blue Wonder is quickly becoming a product which I am fond of. I have used shooters choice after a good cleaning with the Blue wonder, and found it to clean VERY WELL, as evidenced by the patches run afterwards with the shooters choice (no green) Give it a good look, it works!!

I try to limit the bore's exposure to a brush as much as I can.

I don't feel that any one company offers a complete line of cleaning/care products. Some stuff just works better than others.

Kroil is good bore oil, as it continues to react upon copper even after the solvent has been removed. Patch the bore before shooting and check out the copper it removes as well as lubricating and protecting.

Don't use an oil containing teflon in the bore of a rifle, my research and questioning has recently yielded an understanding that teflon in the bore is counter-productive.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    hondohondo Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always hated gun cleaning especially revolvers after shooting lead. Bought a Outers Foul Out about ten years ago. Use a Bore Snake and then the Foul Out about every fourth or fifth cleaning. I have checked the bore on several barrels thru the years using a friends borescope and haven't noticed any ill effects from the Foul Out but there is the expected throat erosion that occures in some of the rifle barrels from the normal firing...........Hondo
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1