In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tax day is upon us

adminadmin Member, Administrator Posts: 1,079 admin
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
It is once again that horrible day of the year when it is painfully obvious how much the government steals from each and every one of us. This is just a reminder that if you haven't done so already, fill out your forms and stand in the infinitely long line at the Post Office.

For those of you who like to use the 'snooze' button, you can file a form 4868 to get an automatic 4 month extension of time to file.

Good luck all!

Comments

• Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It a horrible day even if you're lucky enough to get money back! Because you've given the government an interest free loan for the last 12 months!
  • Options
    muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Admin.....Thanks for the reminder. However, I have a built-in alarm system for such deadlines in the form of a 5'4" blonde that went off this morning at about 5am. Now, all the forms are done and done.
    muley
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Admin, my refund has been in the bank drawing interest for a couple of months!
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sent them over a thousand bucks today. Damn I could have bought another Kimber with that money. Instead a bunch of freeloading bums will get it.

PC=BS
  • Options
    austin247austin247 Member Posts: 375
    edited November -1
    Funny...when I'm getting money back I'm the first one to send my tax return in. But when I gotta pay, you can bet I'm tossing that sucker in the post office at 11:59:59 p.m. Had to send about $1000 this year, so I can sypathize with ya Bob. And I found out the hard way that when you get divorced all those nice refunds go out the window. My ex now gets a nice fat refund check, after filing head-of-household, child credit, child care expenses, etc., etc. And all the child support I pay each month isn't even deductible. I'm thinkin' I need to get married again, have about 10 kids, adopt about 10 more, donate everything I make to charity...then I might just about break even.
  • Options
    austin247austin247 Member Posts: 375
    edited November -1
    Or...since I'm an LEO and any guns I buy are tax deductible because they're considered job-related expenses...yeah, I like the thought of 10 more guns around the house a lot more than 10 more kids around the house.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't understand people that give the government an interest free loan every year. Best way is to plan so that you owe just under $1000.
    That way you get an interest free loan & don't pay any penalties.
    If you know in advance & make sure to have the money it is no problem.
    For those who say it is the only way they can save I suggest you buy
    Savings Bonds through payroll deduction.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it was Rep. Ron Paul of texas who wanted to change election day to APRIL 16th. Im all for that.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine are done and setting in the front seat of the car. It's an annual event to deposit in the box at the main post office as close to midnight as I can.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine are done and setting in the front seat of the car. It's an annual event to deposit in the box at the main post office as close to midnight as I can.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hehe, I got back over 4500 dollars.
    George W. did ok in my eyes.
    course with 3 kids, it makes it a little easier
    to get a little back at the end of the year.
  • Options
    oldfriendsoldfriends Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being a procrastinator, I usually wait past the filing deadline. So far, I always get something back. As a point of interest, if you are due a refund, you do not even have to file. If you want your money, you must file within three years. When you file, you get your money and interest. I know what you will say. I am giving the government a loan. It is not interest free however. I was ready to file this year in January. My problem is that my wife is not prepared with her business records.

Life is Tough!It's Tougher if You're Stupid
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is my second year using TaxCut Deluxe. I expected to owe so I waited until this weekend. Finally sent federal and state in over the Internet today and paid the state by credit card online too. I may have made an error figuring the County tax -- didn't understand the choice on one screen -- but I guess I'll let them write me a letter. At least I'm done for today. It cost me a little but at least no long line at the P.O. which is worth something.

The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am waiting for my refund...I don't know what I am going to do in a few years when the house is paid for and the boys are gone....

Time to find a good shelter I guess....
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TaxCut Deluxe froze in my desktop computer Saturday and would not uninstall or reinstall. It didnt work in my wife's laptop either. Microsoft and the TaxCut people couldn't help, so today I exchanged Taxcut for Turbotax and filed electronically. It was a photo finish and Wifey wasnt happy. "It should have been two months ago!"
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I actually recieved some of the money I was forced to give to the government back. Soooo I went out a bought an AR 180 with the original scope.