In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WEIRD! C&P Story, Allegedly True

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,062 ******
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
A true story from Associated Press, Reported by Kurt Westervelt Mark C. Anderson Director, Materials Handling Room 101A, Park Avenue Warehouse Bowling Green State University Bowling Green, Ohio 43403

Perry Mason and Law and Order together couldn't have done any better . . . .

At the 1994 annual awards dinner given for Forensic Science, AAFS President Dr. Don Harper Mills astounded his audience with the legal complications of a bizarre death. Here is the story:

On March 23, 1994 the medical examiner viewed the body of Ronald Opus and concluded that he died from a shotgun wound to the head. Mr. Opus had jumped from the top of a ten-story building intending to commit suicide.

He left a note to the effect indicating his despondency. As he fell past the ninth floor his life was interrupted by a shotgun blast passing through a window, which killed him instantly.

Neither the shooter nor the deceased was aware that a safety net had been installed just below the eighth floor level to protect some building workers and that Ronald Opus would not have been able to complete his suicide the way he had planned.

"Ordinarily," Dr Mills continued, "Someone who sets out to commit suicide and ultimately succeeds, even though the mechanism might not be what he intended, is still defined as committing suicide." That Mr. Opus was shot on the way to certain death, but probably would not have been successful because of the safety net, caused the medical examiner to feel that he had a homicide on his hands.

In the room on the ninth floor, where the shotgun blast emanated, was occupied by an elderly man and his wife. They were arguing vigorously and he was threatening her with a shotgun. The man
was so upset that when he pulled the trigger he completely missed his wife and the pellets went through the window striking Mr. Opus.

When one intends to kill subject "A" but kills subject "B" in the attempt, one is guilty of the murder of subject "B."

When confronted with the murder charge the old man and his wife were both adamant and both said that they thought the shotgun was not loaded.

The old man said it was a long-standing habit to threaten his wife with the unloaded shotgun. He had no intention to murder her. Therefore the killing of Mr. Opus appeared to be an accident; that is, assuming the gun had been accidentally loaded.

The continuing investigation turned up a witness who saw the old couple's son loading the shotgun about six weeks prior to the fatal accident.

It transpired that the old lady had cut off her son's financial support and the son, knowing the propensity of his father to use the shotgun threateningly, loaded the gun with the expectation that his father would shoot his mother.

Since the loader of the gun was aware of this, he was guilty of the murder even though he didn't actually pull the trigger. The case now becomes one of murder on the part of the son for the death of
Ronald Opus.

Now comes the exquisite twist.

Further investigation revealed that the son was, in fact, Ronald Opus. He had become increasingly despondent over the failure of his attempt to engineer his mother's murder. This led him to jump off the ten-storey building on March 23rd, only to be killed by a shotgun blast passing through the ninth story window. The son had actually murdered himself so the medical examiner closed the case as a suicide.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is one screwed up family !
  • trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Errr, thats really really wierd.

sniper.gif
    koreaAnim.gifUN.bmp

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry
  • tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you spell:

Dysfunction?
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Twilight Zone !?!

"I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY"
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    David, i'ts an urban legend. Go to www.snopes.com and type in the search box the name Donald Opus.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Before I even saw Rebel James post, my response to this was "Yeah right!!!"

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sound like a myth to me

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • earthmvrearthmvr Member Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Their is a bunch of stories just like that(including that one), stupidest ways people kill themselves. Someone compiled all these stories and called them the Darwin Awards. One such story was about a guy who died from carbon monoxide piosoning. A bad diet consisting of beans and cabbage, and a near airtite bedroom sealed his fate. What a way to go. As far as I know there is no truth to any of them. But still fun to read.

4dff19a9.gifc716f163.gif72d96bc6.jpg
    Proud member of the NRA and Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    My brain was starting to smoke when I finished reading that.[:D]

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not,
    and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Anyone desiring to commit suicide for failing to murder his mother deserves to get shot.[;)]

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SP - ever see 'Mythbusters'? They tested the exploding biscuits, and while they could not find any anecdotal evidence, they determined it was physically possible for it to have happened.

Also, they not only tested (and confirmed the possibility) but dug up the news story on the (lawyer?) that went through the window of the high rise and fell to his death while showing the 'safety' glass.

The really creepy ones are the ones that ARE true.[:p]

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    and if the mom had been standing by the window and got shot also, the son would then be guilty of Murder,Suicide, and the father would get manslaughter? all in the same .1 second.[:0]
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,457 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Saxon where did Capt. Kangaroo meet Lee Marvin anyway, if not Iwo?

One of the great Urban legends had two hunters from Arkansas (the first clue that it might be true) out hunting frogs. On the way home the truck quits running and they determine the old Ford has a burnt fuse. Having no fuses, they replace it with a .22 and start of down the road. The .22 heats up, detonates entering the drivers thigh and and lodges in his left testical. The reaction is predictable: They miss the bridge and launch the truck into the creek, where both drown. According to the quoted newspaper the wife of the driver asked the state police who gets the frog legs. They quote a fictious news paper in a real town, name state police spokesman, all the details. Total fiction. Even got on some of the Darwin award lists. Nothing on the internet is true except what Saxon tells you and make sure he is not funing or mad.

He Dog
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I thisnk that was Rod Sterling standing by the door. [:0]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO