In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hmmmm - 9mm vs 38 Super Auto

TazmuttTazmutt Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I posted on the thread "What guns are you whining ([:D]) for" yesterday that I replied I was longing for a Colt in 38 super. Reason being, I was under the assumption the 38 Sup was considerably hotter than the ol' 9mm Luger. Whilst in the "library" this morning,looking over some reloading books recently secured from my old house (aka ex's place) I see the Super is only 100 fps (+or-) faster than the 9mm. Not too mention, the 9 was from a 4" bbl and the "Super" was from 5" ... Just a "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, Ida never thunk" ... Really don't know where I got the ideer from. Guess I'll save a bunch of money and stick with the 9. Anybody have any experience with the Taurus 92s ?

"A Fear of Weapons is a sign of Retarded Sexual
and Emotional Maturity" Sigmund Freud
"MOLON LABE !"

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a colt series 70 38 super and a Ruger P95 in 9mm and still like my colt better.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • TazmuttTazmutt Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dcon - I have no doubts your Colt is a sweeter gun than the Ruger, though I am a Ruger fan. But ballistically speaking, the Super does not qualify for double the price for a gun, in my eyes (bloodshot as they may be). Do you see that much of a difference ?

"MOLON LABE !"
  • TazmuttTazmutt Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whoa SP ... when did you sneak that in ? [:)] Thats alot more like what I was thinking, 1500 compare to 1000. So then, at the same time ammo makers where downgrading the Super, they were upgrading the 9, eh ?

"MOLON LABE !"
    edited November -1
    I did not say I would pay twice as much for the Colt, but then I did'nt. I carry the Ruger both on me, when I wear a coat, and in my truck while the colt stays in my cabinet. I still like the feel of real steel in my hands tho.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have a Taurus 99, 92 and a 40 S&W 101. I like these guns. I have shot the 99 over 25,000 rounds in IDPA and IPSC competition. I had the rear site break about 5 years ago and they replaced it under the lifetime warrenty in a week even though I bought it used.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .38 super is a nice round, it is being used a lot in IDPA events. If you're after a high speed round and in that size bullet, I'd suggest you use the .357 SIG.

However, most everyone here knows what I'd really use:

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ballistics arent always the key to stopping power.For example this is from a 10yr study conducted by the FBI.The .40S&W with 155gr Federal Hydra shok ammo is number one on the one stop shot hit rates to the torso of man with a 97% one shot stop rate.The .44 Magnum is one of the top 10 but its around number 7 one shot stop rate.The 9MM IMHO is under rated.With all the new ammo manufactures makeing many types of ammo the 9MM has improved its effectiveness.Federal's 135 gr +P Hollow Points are very impressive.The 9MM got alot of bad publicity around 1985 when other semi-auto loads were being introduced and the most common ammo for the 9mm was the 115gr FMJ.Again it all falls back to shot placement with any Handgun.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
    edited November -1
    I think either one to the chest will not be welcomed.

• gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Bambihunter dont be shy. What is the round you would use??? PS are you moving on the 1076 I sent you the information on? If Not i will.

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gap- Bambi is of course an advocate for the almighty 10mm round.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a great caliber, there should be more of them.(10MMs)
    [^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^]

standard.jpg
    Limerick.gif
    It's my cat's world. I'm just here to open cans.

We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic.

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Gap1916

Bambihunter dont be shy. What is the round you would use???
    quote:Originally posted by bambihunter

However, most everyone here knows what I'd really use:

I thought I DID answer! [:D]

I'm ready to do something with that, I've got cash in hand, but the guy hasn't answered my emails yet and I've been unable to call during normal business hours. I'm free tomorrow (Friday) so I'll try again then...

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Let me know when you have it. I just mught make a road trip to check it out with you.

Greg

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO