In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

A movie to stir the American spirit--

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I'm not a big sports fan but I was raised in Minnesota and hockey was a big part of the culture in which I was raised. If you'd like a good shot in the arm of your American spirit then go and watch the movie "Miracle". It is incredibly moving even if you aren't a sports fan.

I had a Valentine's date this evening. She made me go to a chick flick the last time we went out for dinner and a movie. She let me pick the movie tonight and it was incredible.

Comments

• idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suppose visions, dreams, stories and miracles about hope and determination are dead here. This has become a place of griping, whining and cheap shots. I'm sure nobody here would be interested in the movie. Shouldn't have wasted my time with the post.
  • familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very interested in the movie, glad to see something uplifting and patriotic.

Didn't reply because I didn't have the energy to even chime in with "Ok, thanks". But if you want to assume what we think and feel without us even commenting, go ahead......

Got lucky on my last choice, too. Wife and I went to see Big Fish. Touching movie, funny and entertaining, one of those rare movies that we both enjoyed.

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry you feel that way. I missed the post earlier. I do not go to the movies but do rent smoe now and then. In fact my wife and I watched 'Secound Hand Lions" last night and I thought it was a good uplifting movie. So I will have top check out miricles Thanks for the tip.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
    edited November -1
    familyguy--it was not that lack of comment on this post that inspired my reply to my own post. It was inspired by the reading of all the other posts that have accumulated here over time. I figured I'd hi-jack my own thread instead of posting my opinions on others'.
  • gunrunner1911gunrunner1911 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish I didn't have to see the movie to hear about the actual event.
    My father wouldn't pay the $100 per ticket to watch them play the final game for the gold, alot of money in 1980, my parents were in Lake Placid for the olympics that year. I busted him pretty good for that goof up. I was young and a hockey player it was the best of times I will have to see the movie.[:)] There should always be hope. There should always be Patriotism. The Patriots should always be Superbowl Champs. [:D] Ok just a little light hearted joke. Thanks for the movie review.
    edited November -1
    Make sure you stay in the theater after the movie is over. They give a brief synopsis of what each player is doing right now. They certainly don't fit the stereotype of "dumb jock". Most are high rollers these days.
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    haVEN'T HEARD OF THIS ONE

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    Make sure you stay in the theater after the movie is over. They give a brief synopsis of what each player is doing right now. They certainly don't fit the stereotype of "dumb jock". Most are high rollers these days.
    Thanks for the heads up! My wife and I are definitely the type to bolt for the door at the first sign of credits.

I understand your comment now, I agree about 'all the other posts'.

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    IDS,

I have not seen the movie yet, but my wife is dying for me to take here, she says the reviews are unreal. Now, I have some "factual" information to support my attendance at the movie. I guess, because of your review, I'll go. BTW, if I do not like it, can I get you to refund me my cost of admission?

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."
    edited November -1
    I would gladly pay for a ticket to another event provided that I too could be present. Feel free to take your wife along (and any of your compadres). I'll bring Mr. Corona along too if you'd like.

P.S. I turn 29 in May. I'm pretty much locked down in my current position until my 30th birthday. In your opinion, too late to submit a WOFT packet? How firm is the age limit?
    edited November -1
    IDS, Again.... there is a waiver for everything.... your over-qualified to fly helicopters, I assure you. But, if that is what you want, take the AFAST (after studying), go to WOC school, take an AQC, and call me after you're regretting the whole thing. You'll know what I mean once your standing there.... but that's just my $.02, but you seem a * of alot smater than me, so the choice is yours.

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me." -Isaiah 6:8
    edited November -1
    My greatest regret in life is not doing something along the lines of a combat arms MOS. The MP Corps has been good to me. Recruiting Command has certainly expanded my ability to deal with stress and BS. In less than 3 years I've seen 3 BN Commanders, 3 BN CSMs, 3 CO's and 3 1SG's. I'm on my 3rd Station Commander. They would like me to convert my MOS to 79R. I would have 13 more years (assuming I retire at 20) to get promoted 3 more times which would be quite possible if I convert. However, I think I'd leave a certain degree of sanity in the closet where I would permanantly hang my BDU's upon making such a move. I think I would rather fight the good fight in the MP Corps where promotions are not quite so swift. However, it feels like there's something more.

Regarding the movie..... I must admit that it's more of an emotional high. Someone lacking a knowledge of the history behind the movie would still be hard-pressed to refrain from predicting the plot to a certain degree of accuracy. It's more of a "Mighty Ducks" to a second or third degree. It feels good and gives a boost to the spirit of American Pride. I'd say it's worth the price of a movie ticket unless you live in NYC. It might not be worth $20 but it was certainly worth the $7.50 I paid.
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    so the movie is pretty good it sounds like.now i can plan this weekend out.saturday me and the gf we are going to a hockey game here in seattle.it will be portland vs seattle.it will also be my gf's first time to a hockey game.so i'm thinking now taking her to go see that movie frday night before we go to the game on saturday.thanks ids for posting this[:)]

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
    edited November -1
    IDS,

I man I think the world of, completely "jacked-me up" one time. I was a PFC, he was a BN CDR; 3BDE, 82nd ABN (did I mention I was his driver at Fort Bragg and did not want to be?)...

But, I digress. Anyway, I was an 11B, and his point to me, about one week before we went to PANAMA was that I needed to take myself a LITTLE bit less seriously, and the rest of the world alot more.

About a week and a half later I knew exactly what he meant!!! There are plenty of men who think the world of themselves, for no good reason, and then there are those men who consider themselves "common", but my God they are wrong! I could offer you specific examples of tireless combat support soldiers' efforts I have witnessed thus far during my career, but there simply are not enough hours in the day.

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me." -Isaiah 6:8
    edited November -1
    quote:There are plenty of men who think the world of themselves, for no good reason, and then there are those men who consider themselves "common", but my God they are wrong!

Are you playing around with "remote viewing" or something? You must have read what I typed in my last reply before I deleted it and hit the "post" button. I started to discuss how my father instilled in me the virtue of humility and never could view myself the way that you previously described. Are Night Stalkers mind readers or something?
  • Tiger6Tiger6 Member Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many may disagree, but I don't think there is anything so rewarding as working within the fellowship and professionalism of a well trained and focused military unit. My experience is within various elements of the Infantry and I will forever carry the memories of men, joined forever by the heat of battle.
    Night Stalker your comments are CENTER TARGET! The valor and selflessness of the "common soldier" is something that writers have never been able to fully and accurately put on paper. Heroes, arising from the line, called forward by circumstances and a degree of internal drive that those who have not experienced it find it very hard to understand. Young men, who arise to the situation without faltering when the chances of survival are more than slim. The same soldiers who may not fit the spit & polish garrison Army, but who can be counted on to meet mission when on the 2-way rifle range.
    God Bless Them All.
    (Sorry for the long post... you just got me remembering!)..
    RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
    George Orwell

TARGETS UP!
    TIGER6
  • OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope that the movie does justice to that game!! I ain't a hockey fan but I watched it when it was played! It was beyond describing!! It's a wonder that the arena where it was played is still standing!!!
    OleDuk
    edited November -1
    Someone needs to tell Hollywood that most people in Minnesota don't talk with that silly Fargo-esque accent. It sounds like Nicole Kidman trying to hack up that southern drawl in "Cold Mountain".
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks,for the movie tip.I'll put in on my list.
    [:)]

standard.jpg
    Limerick.gif
    It's my cat's world. I'm just here to open cans.

We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic.

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    It is a real good Feel Good movie. It is a remake of a made for TV movie. Carol Malden played the coach in the TV version. Still a very good show. My 2 cents.

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO