In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Machine screw information needed.

EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
edited March 2016 in General Discussion
How does one measure a machine screw ? I have thread pitch gauges to measure the threads per inch. The machine screws i am buying today are 12 x 24 x 1 inch. How does one obtain the first number ? Is there a gauge used to determine the first number ?

lost in Space.

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first number is a wire gauge size. (like sheet metal)
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    #12 diameter is .2160
    24 refers the "threads per inch"
    1" should refer to length measured from under the head unless it is a flat or oval head. tolerance is -.030
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What style head and drive? And how many do you need?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Flat head,phillips drive,24 tpi and one inch long. The screws are used on a Proto 3/4 inch drive ratchet.Proto tools will not sell the screws unless you buy a $56.00 rebuild kit. I only need 4, but i want to have extras on hand. Plenty of hardware sellers around here.

Lost in Space.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    12-24 is a semi-standard. might be a little difficult to find. I have 35,000 1" phil truss head in stock. Unfortunately no Flat heads even longer than one inch......
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thread designations have been around for many years. From 1/4" on up, they are expressed in fractions as to nominal (major dia.), for purposes of identification. Actual measurement will probably be slightly smaller.
    12 - .216
    10 - .190
    8 - .164
    6 - .138
    5 - .125
    4 - .112
    3 - .099
    2 - .086
    1 - .073
    0 - .060
    TPI of American (Unified) threads indicate number of threads per linear inch (pitch). 12-24 is .216 (approx.) dia. x 24 threads per inch. Metric thread pitch is designated as width of individual threads in millimeters. M7 x 1 is 7mm (approx.) dia. x 1.0mm thread width. Info from Machinery's Handbook, the standard reference for machinists.
  • Options
    TangoSierraTangoSierra Member Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might try industrial supplier McMaster-Carr. They always had just about anything I ever needed when I was in that line of work.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I got width measurement of.211 and i can't get any proper measurement with the wire gauge. I was told the thread size was 12x24, but it is not. I am going to go to Graingers to see if they have something.

Lost in Space.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    common easy to buy size..ace hardware lowes home depot as far as general purpose usage.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its all standard. Fine or course. Try cutting your own its fun and easy...[:)]
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******
    edited November -1
    www.fastenal.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your replies. It was a 12x24 thread and i picked up a 3 pack at Hope Depot. A 1/2 inch longer than what i need, but i have a Dremel tool. I will pick up some 1 inch ones when i have more time. These are stainless also. The factory ones always rust.

Lost in Space.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fastenal or Bolt Depot

Two of the best place to look for good screws and bolts if you do not have a local supplier.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    McMaster-Carr #92210A028. I prefer SS flat head socket capscrews. $8.03/pac of 5
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I got the screws i needed today at TACOMA SCREW a left coast company.The screws that i needed are 12x24x1, flathead, phillips drive, zinc plated.A pack of 100 was $6.05 Now i just need to find a source for small conical springs at a decent price. Tacoma Screw has some of them, but they were real busy, so i will go another day.Thank you all again for you help.

lost in Space.