In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which Special Force?

Gene B.Gene B. Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
I was thinking maybe the Navy Seals isnt the right thing to aim for. To be one you have to swim alot with lots of extra weight on you, swim in freezing cold water, and etc. etc. with water. I've been swiming for a long time, but not as near as good as you have to if you want to be a Seal. So I want to aim for a Special Force that carries out almost all of its missions on land, I was thinking the Rangers, or Green Berets. Which one do yall think is better?

Comments

• Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    Rangers are highly trained infantry (its a little more to it than that, but I'm just boiling it down). Its about a 10 week course after BCT, AIT, and Airborne. Tough course. Green Berets are the Army's special forces. Most of them are Rangers. I beleive the Recons (Marines) spend more time in the water than the Berets, but no matter where you go, depending on your job, it will probably involve some aquatic training.AFTERTHOUGHT: Talk to Idsman75. He could probably steer you in the right direction.[This message has been edited by simonbs (edited 12-07-2001).]
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have a question, you can call me collect at work (712) 274-7445. Email me and I'll email you my true full name so you know who to ask for.idsman75@peoplepc.comGranted, I am biased but I will give you the truth about the spec ops organizations in the Army. The Navy recruiters and the Marine recruiters next door lie through their teeth and I can attest to this because I talk to their applicants regularly while I'm out beating the streets looking for fine young soldiers.
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a former marine I can attest to idsman's statement. I was lied to by my recruiter. I was promised a 4yr tour in Aircraft Ordnance. Got a bonus and everything. The day they announced our MOS (military occupational skill)in boot camp, I was informed I was an Amphibious Tractor Crewman. I brought this up with the Drill Instructors. After they did a little investigation they advised me that I could either pack my trash and become a civilian or graduate with the rest of the platoon in 2 days and if I completed Amtrac school I'd still get my bonus. They told me that the 50 caliber on the Amtrak was ordnance capable of taking down aircraft, thus they really hadn't dishonored the contract. Even though the contract I signed said something about f16's or fa18's. Recruit Beware, get a signed agreement for cash or guaranteed rank bonus's. They exist and the recruiters know it but only seem to use them in "hard sell" cases. I saw guys in the Corps who had contracts for guaranteed sgt in 2 and sometimes 3 years. Whatever you do don't let a recruiter snow you, they are all trying to sell something and the more guys they recruit the better they look. NO B.S. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My uncle was a Navy recruiter. Here's how it actually works. If I lie, I get slammed through the wall (figuratively). If the Navy lies, they get slammed through the wall if someone outside of their chain-of-command finds out. That's how it works where I'm at. Our paperwork requires the recruit to sign a statement saying that nothing was guaranteed to him other than what is in block "such-and-such" in the contract. It's exactly that--a contract! The government is legally bound to honor it or it is null and void.
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah right. I've never heard a horror story about a recruiter before either. Wouldn't post one either. I know you've got a job to do and I'm sure you do it honorably, but the snowjobs are out there.
  • Options
    rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your an army recruiter idsman? My brother is an Army recruiter. He spent a few years in Arizona and now is located in New Mexico. Maybe you know him, name is SRGT Meyer.