In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What is it with our gov. and borders(c&p)

rcdisrcdis Member Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Not only South but North

http://www.civilhomelanddefense.us/BorderNov2003/Team 7 Investigation.htm#Team7Investigation

Team 7 Investigation Finds Terrorist Threats Across Canadian Border

Chris Halsne KIRO 7 Eyewitness News Investiga-tive Reporter
SEATTLE - Terrorists are using Canada as a launching pad to illegally enter America, an exclusive KIRO Team 7 Investigation uncovers. Not only are terrorist recruitments going on in British Columbia, but holes in border security between there and western Washington are an open gate, letting terrorists walk right in.
KIRO Team 7 Investigative Reporter Chris Halsne exposes the threat from Vancouver.
This city wants to be known as our friendly neighbor to the north and host for the 2010 Winter Games.
However, a KIRO Team 7 Investigation discovered it's also home to 55 known terrorist organizations, some of which would do anything to kill Americans. Hezbollah, Hamas, the Armed Islamic Group, al-Qaida, and the Army of Mohammed aren't confined to terrorist training camps in the Middle East. National security insiders tell KIRO Team 7 Investigators hundreds of seasoned terrorists are hanging out in British Columbia.
"Those people have a hate for this country," said Carey James, retired Border Patrol Chief and current undersheriff of Whatcom County. "Some of the intelligence I had access to said there were terror groups; organizations from all over the world. Every group you can think of has a cell in the Vancouver area."
The sleeper cells aren't just sitting idle.
The Royal Mounted Police tell KIRO Team 7 Investigators al-Qaida is dealing drugs in Vancouver to raise money for its cause. Justice Department sources also tell us this year known terrorists have been probing our porous border just north of Seattle.
"It's a genuine threat to this country," said former U.S. Border Patrol Deputy Chief Gene Davis. Davis continues to advise Congress about northern border security.
"I'm telling you the threat up there has not diminished one bit. It's probably greater now than ever before and greater right here in this area," Davis said.
KIRO Team 7 Investigators uncovered some pretty scary lapses already. A smuggler successfully walked a group of Pakistani men down a pipeline underneath a broken border camera this summer. Authorities caught two at Sea-Tac Airport, but as many as five others remain at large.
"I think it's well known what can potentially cross the border. They've already crossed," said Daryl Schermerhorn. Schermerhorn is a current Border Patrol agent along the Blaine sector, a 40-mile stretch of Canadian-U.S. border.
He says the biggest problem agents have right now of stopping potential terrorists is a new Border Patrol mandate: Don't arrest anyone, just chase them back into Canada.
"If you're making arrests, bringing them to the office, identifying them, interrogating them - then you can gather intelligence. You can't gather intelligence from people you don't arrest."
No arrests mean the terrorist watch list is useless.
"If you're not going to catch `em, don't know who they are, how you gonna check the list?"

Adding to security problems, the new super-computer remote cameras established to catch trespassers along the northern border still don't work as promised.
KIRO Team 7 Investigation first broke the story last year and very little has changed: $8 million over budget and cameras break down every
day.
"It's been shown time and time again that they don't work well in certain weather conditions and those issues haven't been addressed," said Schermerhorn.
Due to national security reasons, KIRO Team 7 Investigators aren't going to reveal the exact location of this camera pole, but we do want to reveal one of the great deficiencies here. There are supposed to be two cameras, one for day and one for night. But agents tell us, the night vision broke months ago and there are no spare parts to replace it.
The Justice Department has ordered at least 400 new agents be assigned to the northern border in the coming months. We're told top officials in Washington, D.C., are nervous that the next big terrorist attack will have Canadian roots.
Canadian House of Commons member Val Meredith hopes that's not true, but admits her government has been lax.
"We're very critical that the government hasn't moved strong enough, fast enough, in identifying the terrorist organizations like Hamas," said Meredith.
This Member of Parliament also warns us to look within. She says there is proof already that terrorist recruiting is occurring at local Mosques.
We're not just talking about foreigners; we're talking about our own young people being pulled into this circle of violence and terrorism.
International security experts say that since 9/11, Canadian immigration policies have toughened up. However, some members of parliament say prior to that, Canada did allow some well-known terrorists to slip into Vancouver. Then they disappeared.
Copyright 2003 by KIROTV.com.

Index

Comments

• ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Thank Bush for proposing and approving a budget that slashed the Border Patrols budget!

So much for Homeland Security.

I can see his election campaign slogan now... "Vote for me and I promise to eventually get around to maybe defending this nation from terrorist attack... unless further insecurity can get me into office for a third term."
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    Thank Bush for proposing and approving a budget that slashed the Border Patrols budget!

So much for Homeland Security.

I can see his election campaign slogan now... "Vote for me and I promise to eventually get around to maybe defending this nation from terrorist attack... unless further insecurity can get me into office for a third term."

Maybe we can give all the terrorists guest terrorist visa's and they can return home after doing thier work.[}:)]

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Anybody seen our illustrious Gov. Richardson talk about borders? We have the most porous border with Mexico that exists!

Why don't the migra in Washington go to Target & score some of those night vision cameras? They cost all of $45.

BushWhackers; you think AlGore or Howie the Wonder Dean or even John Frickin Kerry have any ideas to stop the illegal migration from ANYWHERE?
    Yeah, right!

If you know it all; you must have been listening.<br>WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Border illegal crossings have been a problem for a long time .It's no better or worse than it was pre 911. You can't go blaming just one president for the problem as none of them have done anything to stop it or even slow it down.In fact given things like what California is doing one would swear that it is being encouraged. You can't blame anyone for wanting to come here.Given this counties policies not only can immigrants live better than in their home countries they can live better than many American naturals.