In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hockey Skate Sharpening

robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
How often are you supposed to have your skates sharpened up. I read somewhere that you should have it done every 6-8 hours spent on the ice. I hope this isn't true, cause I haven't had mine sharpened since late December [:0]!

And assuming that I'm in dire need of sharpening, is it bad to skate will dull blades? Will it send my technique all to h-e-double-hockey-sticks?

signew.JPG

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."

Comments

• mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Careful...

If you get them too sharp you will slice right through the ice into the cooling element.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Sorry.

I really shouldn't comment because we don't really watch soccer down here much...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo
    Sorry.

I really shouldn't comment because we don't really watch soccer down here much...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

When you get thru practiceing law, are you going pro?[:)][}:)][:)][:)]

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    roboman--I was raised on skates. My family just couldn't ever afford hockey skates. Mine were always second-hand. If your blades are dull, you will certainly notice it. You will push off but you won't go anywhere. You have to generate some kind of friction to create forward movement. The sharpened blade on the foot doing the work actually scrapes the ice. It creates the friction and does the work to push you forward. This won't be possible when your skates are dull.

The last time I skated was in February of 1995 in Central Park. G** D*** rental skates. They were so dull. Fortunately, I didn't spend much time skating. I spent more time smooching the love of my life 2 hours into our first date.
  • kitfookitfoo Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only get mine sharpened once every month or so. It all depends on how much you skate. I'm sure the 6-8hr thing was for the pros. If you sharpened your skates that often, you'd have to get new blades every month! Once you get used to your skates, you'll be able to tell when its time. You won't be able to turn as sharp, go as fast, stop as well, etc... Plus, the kind of edge you put on it will affect your skating as well. I just get a 1/2 put on mine. Its a good, all around cut.
  • MaCTMaCT Member Posts: 276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sharpen mine after 2 practices & 2 games...So yeah about 8 hrs. It makes a big difference, depending on skill level I guess... If you cant skate anyway wont make a heck of a lot of difference.

~ Give Blood - Play Hockey ~
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    I spent more time smooching the love of my life 2 hours into our first date.

You the man, SSgt! [:D]

-Bullzeye the shameless charlie delta

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate for an outright ban, picking up all of them, "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in," I would have." -Sen. Dianne Feinstein

feinstein2.bmp
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    To answer your question, I was a goalie so I never, ever sharpened mine. As a goalie, you want them as dull as possible so you can slide laterally to make saves.

When I refereed, it was different. You cover a lot of ice, and I usually had full days (4 games), so I sharpened them every day.

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate for an outright ban, picking up all of them, "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in," I would have." -Sen. Dianne Feinstein

feinstein2.bmp
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Hey Hockey Fans! University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux are on there way to the Frozen 4. Another National Championship on the way? You bet.

Robo

You got lots of good advice on the skates. Save your pennies and come to UND to watch a great hockey team. We had an alumni give $100Million to build a brand new arena. Wow is it nice.

WEAR THAT TEETH GUARD!

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • MaCTMaCT Member Posts: 276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plains Scout, That is one damn fine hockey club, watched them on Espn last weekend. Heard the Alumni that donated the money did so as long as they never Ever changed their name or logo. Thats why it's in the floors, seats ect. A kid that played on my cousins team is now with the sioux and their leading scorer this year is headed your way next year {Brady & Zajac}. From what I've read and seen, they are the team to beat this year yet again.

~ Give Blood - Play Hockey ~
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Roboman is like mcCauley Caulkin in the Good son, hes up to no good again, he wants to sharpen his skates so he can skate really fast and slide into someone. Sick roboman, just sick. [V][:(!][xx(][}:)][:D]

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    plains scout...The only thing I can see that would keep them from the national title is their power play, which absoulutely S##ks. I think they have more short handed goals than power play goals. Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better if they could decline the penalty like in football.