In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

OH CRAP!!!!!

TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
This is what I heard when I answered the phone. But let me start from the begining.
Toolbrat has had a bad cold. So she has been home from School the last few days. I got home today at 6:00PM after leaving the house at 4:00AM. I left the Semi at the road (in case the thives want to siphion fuel) and walked up the lane. I noticed that the Toolhauler was not in the drive. I thought Toolbabe must have went to town. As I walked into the house, the phone was ringing. I answered it. "OH CRAP!" was what I heard. It was Toolbrat. "Your home?" "yes I just got home". She went on to tell me that she had the Toolhauler stuck in a ditch on the dirt road on the back side of the property. "I was going around a curve and hit the breaks and it slid sideways into the ditch" Yea right. I asked where is your Mom? Toolbrat said she was at home. At this point Toolbabe came in the room. This explained the OH CRAP. She was hopeing Mom would come pull her out before Dad got home.
Aperantly the neighbor boy down the road had brought Toolbrats homework home. And she had driven the truck to go get it. She was suposed to have driven to the back side of the property. And the boy was suposed to meet her there with the homework. But some how she ended up about a 1/2 mile down the road. Heading back towards home. With the Toolhauler sideways in the road with the front end in the ditch.
I started the tractor and drove down and pulled the Toolhauler out. It was not hurt. But Toolbrat was scard to death. I asked her for the truth. She gave me three versions. Then I looked at the tracks and explained what I thought had happened. She did not deny my version.
After I got the Toolhauler out of the ditch. I told Toolbrat to drive the tractor home. I drove the Toolhauler. It drove alright. I got home and explained everything to Toolbabe. She wanted to Kill her. I just laughed and told her to leave it alone. I think she learned a few lessons.
Toolbrat was very nervious. And finely asked me why I was not mad. I told her. I was just glad that she was alright. And that I felt she had learned more about driveing and responsibility in those few seconds then I could teach with years of hollering.
TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are a better man than me.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How true.

But didnt you just want to holler just a little to see if you still could.[:D][:D]

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, What Dcon said. My patience as a father is sometimes found to be lacking.

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • moose56moose56 Member Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Peace, happines and chocolate cake! Nice touch dad.

Moose

"I will follow the path of others some of the time, but most of the time I prefer to make my own path." - Mike Moyle
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    My son had a bad fender "hood" bender when I was out of town ($3500) when he was 16. Dumb teenage driving stunt. He thought I was going to kill him.

I arrived at his out of town football game and wrote a note and gave it to an injured player who took it to my son. It said:

"I heard about the wreck. It is just twisted metal, it can be fixed. I am glad you are alright. Now play your heart out"

They learn what we teach. There are a few things I wished I had not taught him. But forgiveness is an important lesson. Especially with a teenager.

Good job Tools
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Plains Scout,

What a great example of quality parenting. I hope if ever presented with the same situation, I'll act as impressively as you. How correct you are in your assertion that our children learn from our example; I concur.

NSDQ!

"Many free countries have lost their liberty, and ours may lose hers; but if she shall, be it my proudest plume, not that I was the last to desert; but that I never deserted her." -President Abraham Lincoln
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    I remember, as some of you might too, when I made something I wasn't supposed to, that the knowledge of an upcoming scolder/holler is the worst.

But I've been blessed with great parents, who did a fine job too.
    As long as we weren't hurt, it was a learning lesson.

Was always told not to run on the stairs - but was about to so just that down into the basement, fell over at the top and had a tumble down 12 concrete steps - my father just peeked out from the furnace/waterheater and looked at me, saw I wasn't hurt in any way other than just my feelings/pride.

All he said was ; "That was stoopid, but you learned about gravity.!" and got back to work on putting wood in the furnace to heat up the house.

Quite fun from my view and I remembered the lesson - always will.

polarbear.gif
    Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad used to sometimes make us wait several days before our punishment was finally given to us. I swear the wait for the talk was much worse than the subsequent grounding or what ever I got...

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Yeah, it is never a good idea to issue edicts and punishments too soon after the screw up. Besides at that point woory and relief are utmost on the mind. You done good. Now you can take your time to calmly think of a suitable compensation for the worry.[;)]

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Next time I am over Toolbrat can watch the video I took of my sons truck when it is on the flatbed.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Had almost the exact experience with my son this week. Don't know why he was on the road he was on but the story was he was trying to turn around on the road and buried the front in the snow when he got too close to the ditch. Tracks showed the story to be true though I suspect he might have had the GF with at the time. No harm done I just laughed and told him to chalk it up as experience. I do think a kid is more likley to tell the truth on the bad stuff if you don't blow up on them for the little things.