In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Polymer bullets, yep thats right

4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I was told yesturday about a new product that is on the horizon, polymer bullets made from hytrel and tungston that will be offered as an alternative to replace lead in an attempt to reduce the environmental impact of lead fired from firearms. I don't have all the details yet and was only able to briefly scan over the document we recieved but it appears that this is a mandate and will be required. I will try to find out more details later today but I do know this to be factual.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."

Comments

• competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These have been in development for a few years; use the term "green bullets" (exact phrase) to search online.

Click here for the Yahoo search results.

The military is supposed to be completely converted to them by 2008.
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a good way to get ammo through the metal detectors, now all they need is a polymer casing.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    I guess the reason we are just hearing about it here must be because we will be supplying materials for the process. I am not certain if it will be pure extruded hytrel or possibly a hytrel/tungston product that will be molded into the bullets elsewhere.

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger270man
    Sounds like a good way to get ammo through the metal detectors, now all they need is a polymer casing.

Tungston is a metal (more dense than lead if I remember correctly)--it will be detected by metal detectors.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 4GodandCountry
    ...we will be supplying materials for the process. I am not certain if it will be pure extruded hytrel...

"Hytrel" is a brand name--a registered trademarked name of a DuPont product--it should always (atleast) be capitalized when written. (It's even better to have the little registered trademark "R" symbol after it.)

I just raise the issue 4G&C, because if you're working with it, the legal deptartment in your company may "get on your case" if they saw you writing the term without capitalizing it. Companies can be very particular about their trademarked names--with good reason--and are concerned when the terms are used in a manner that could eventually lead to them losing the trademarked brand name status.
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    I wonder how these new bullets will react in older firearms. Does anyone have any theories on how this new denser metal might affect accuracy, and or barrel life?

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    I would think with the "Hytrel" the wear on a barrel would be reduced. My biggest concern would be the impact/penetration characteristics of the poly/tungston bullet vs. copper jacketed lead projectiles.

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,502 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw a show on these on the news last night.
    The US military is in the process of switching over to these right now.
    They will be done with lead bullets in 4 more years.
    The military said they had done extensive testing, they kill just as well as lead bullets.
    Said they were concerned about environmental problems with lead.
    As stated above, the military guy referred to them as "green bullets."
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Sure they will work fine for the army because they are regulated to "non-expanding" ammunition. But how does this stuff perform on game. Isn't tungsten more brittle than lead? How long after this stuff becomes available will the antis start calling them "cop killer" bullets and have them banned for private use. The trap is set. The environmentalist will convince us the change is good for the environment and have lead outlawed with only moderate resistance. The the antis will step in and have them outlawed as cop killer bullets. Then we have nowhere to go (well maybe copper). With the exception of shooting ranges what is environmental significance of a few lead projectiles spread out over the area of a few acres? Likely not even measurable.