In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Not sure how I feel about this

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited June 2018 in General Discussion
quote:Oklahoma became the 30th state to legalize medical marijuana earlier this week, but residents who want to have a medical cannabis card and own a gun may see their hopes go up in smoke.

On Thursday, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) confirmed to ABC affiliate KOCO-TV that the conditions of a 2011 open letter, which states that federal law prohibits anybone who is an "unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance" from "possessing firearms or ammunition," still stands. The letter says that anyone who uses marijuana, regardless of state law, qualifies as an "unlawful user of" the controlled substance, and is therefore prohibited from owning a gun.

Federal officials went on to say that possession of a medical marijuana card was reasonable cause to suspect the card owner of being an unlawful marijuana user, even if the person obtained the card legally.

"Using a controlled substance is a prohibitor, similar to being convicted of a felony offense," Meredith Davis, a special agent with the ATF, told NBC affiliate KFOR-TV. As the Bureau outlines, felons are prohibited from possessing a firearm.

One loophole that could allow a household to access to both a gun and a medical marijuana card, KFOR-TV reports, is if a spouse required medical marijuana for an illness and the other spouse owned a firearm. According to KFOR-TV, in that instance, the ATF could grant permission for the gun to remain in the household, as long as the spouse with the card had no access to the weapon.

I don't use it but if they are saying a drunk can have guns but a person using MJ for medical reasons can't, I have a problem with that.

Comments

• Options
    hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Medical marijuana is like any other drug your doctor prescribes and is covered under HIPPA, so your doctor can't rat you out.

On the 4473, the question is whether or not you're an unlawful user or addicted to. I've often wondered if there is a definition somewhere on what constitutes a user.
  • Options
    Ford 23Ford 23 Member Posts: 3,129
    edited November -1
    I had previously heard through the rumor mill this was coming

Unless Trump steps up and helps those on prescription pot to by pass the standing rules it will mean one way for the anti gunners to have their way

Plus the communist/Progressives/Communist will love it. You can bet the farm there are some ATF people will jump all over this
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hunter86004
    Medical marijuana is like any other drug your doctor prescribes and is covered under HIPPA, so your doctor can't rat you out.

On the 4473, the question is whether or not you're an unlawful user or addicted to. I've often wondered if there is a definition somewhere on what constitutes a user.

I'm under the impression that if your state hasn't legalized random recreational use; using it would seem "unlawful".
    Gotta wonder why there's such a thing as State's Rights, eh?
  • Options
    DirtyDawgDirtyDawg Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ford 23
    I had previously heard through the rumor mill this was coming

Unless Trump steps up and helps those on prescription pot to by pass the standing rules it will mean one way for the anti gunners to have their way

Plus the communist/Progressives/Communist will love it. You can bet the farm there are some ATF people will jump all over this

We all know damn good and well this IS the plan. Our "rulers" will do anything to take power and liberty away from us.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Yup. The Dems plan....Get us addicted so we are controllable then take our guns away.