In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Corps of Engineers Ponchartrain Levee

chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2005 in General Discussion
There was a plan to reinforce the Lake Ponchartrain levee, in 2004, by the Corps of Engineers. Unfortunately, the project had to be scaled back by 80%, leaving the weak original levee to be wiped out in this year's storm. Guess where the required money went? That's right, the war in Iraq. All those dead, all that devastation, you now see on TV? = Iraq war casualties. We gained Fallujah, but lost New Orleans.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
~Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here

"Our enemies...never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
~President George W. Bush

Comments

• Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Right! I say Bush concocted the hurricane for political gain.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    adminadmin Member, Administrator Posts: 1,079 admin
    edited November -1
    chunkstyle: right... Can you quote a source on that BS?
  • Options
    Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    Thats the dumbest thing I have read all day.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr.PissyPants
    Thats the dumbest thing I have read all day.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Got to agree with Mr. PP - but a question chunky - why didnn't the city of New Orleans or the state of Louisianna reinforce the levee? Why should federal tax dollars be used for a local project?

NRA ENdowment, CRPA Life, Past President NRA Members Council
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem. Semper Fidelis
    marinesega2.jpg
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    I heard the FEMA rep this mornig complaining about the disorganization of rescue effort vs. levee reinforcing. "Too many cooks in the kitchen..." were his words.
    Now "search and rescue" is "bag and tag"....

If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky-diving....
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wonder what next, Chunkstyle will blame on Bush. Since when does Bush
    make zoning laws for cities, Counties, or states? Any damn fool wishing to live on the coast, below sealevel with a dirt dike protecting them
    has a low I.Q. as shown in the looting pics on TV. Far as I know, the only thing required for insurance is flood plain insurance. (if that) And it sure is one big flood plain. Always was, and if rebuilt will still be. Kinda reminds me of keeping ones head in the tigers mouth and
    hoping for the best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I didn't even mention the name of the President...

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."

"Our enemies...never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
  • Options
    Big DaveBig Dave Member Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady
    I heard the FEMA rep this mornig complaining about the disorganization of rescue effort vs. levee reinforcing. "Too many cooks in the kitchen..." were his words.
    That was the Mayor of New Orleans that said that, and he was talking about repair efforts on the levee taking so long.
  • Options
    jdyerjdyer Member Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Damn that GW! Millions of innocent Iraqi citizens spared death and torture by the Saddam regime, and Al Qaeda displaced from a significant portion of the Middle East, and I still don't have that f*****g speed breaker in front of my house to slow down those punks!

deer-running.gif
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chunkstyle
    I didn't even mention the name of the President...

You didn't have to, we knew exactly where you were coming from. The same schuck and jive BS has been on CNN nonstop, all day now from folks like you.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't watch CNN, or any cable news, for that matter. Anyhow, the budget cuts were well-known in 2004, when they happened. They were listed this morning on the N.O. USACE site, but they appear to have been taken down today... hmmm...

I'm not saying the President concocted any storm, don't be stupid, Lowrider.

All the listings here had links, but they have been de-linked today...
    Anyway, here is the source, admin:
    http://www.mvn.usace.army.mil/pd/projsasp/mainlist.asp

To answer Shootist's question, the USACE has controlled the construction in the entire Mississippi Valley (and all other navigable waters) for ages, it is one of their core functions.

• Options
    jdyerjdyer Member Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cloop is on the loose - take cover and don't respond!
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    YOU do sound like CLOOP!

Thanks for giving yourself away.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How about this:

"The system is in great shape, but the levees are sinking. Everything is sinking, and if we don't get the money fast enough to raise them, then we can't stay ahead of the settlement," he said. "The problem that we have isn't that the levee is low, but that the federal funds have dried up so that we can't raise them."

N.O. Times-Picayune, June 18, 2004.

"It appears that the money has been moved in the president's budget to handle homeland security and the war in Iraq, and I suppose that's the price we pay. Nobody locally is happy that the levees can't be finished, and we are doing everything we can to make the case that this is a security issue for us."

-Walter Maestri, emergency management chief for Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, in article dated June 8, 2004, N.O. Times-Picayune

The 2004 hurricane season was the worst in decades. In spite of that, the federal government came back this spring with the steepest reduction in hurricane and flood-control funding for New Orleans in history. Because of the proposed cuts, the Corps office there imposed a hiring freeze. Officials said that money targeted for the SELA project was not enough to start any new jobs.

Again:

"That second study would take about four years to complete and would cost about $4 million, said Army Corps of Engineers project manager Al Naomi. About $300,000 in federal money was proposed for the 2005 fiscal-year budget, and the state had agreed to match that amount. But the cost of the Iraq war forced the Bush administration to order the New Orleans district office not to begin any new studies, and the 2005 budget no longer includes the needed money, he said."

N.O. Times-Picayune, Sept. 22, 2004.

The Newhouse News Service article published Tuesday night observed, "The Louisiana congressional delegation urged Congress earlier this year to dedicate a stream of federal money to Louisiana's coast, only to be opposed by the White House. ... In its budget, the Bush administration proposed a significant reduction in funding for southeast Louisiana's chief hurricane protection project. Bush proposed $10.4 million, a sixth of what local officials say they need." Local officials are now saying, the article reported, that had Washington heeded their warnings about the dire need for hurricane protection, including building up levees and repairing barrier islands, "the damage might not have been nearly as bad as it turned out to be."

Is that enough sources?

• Options
    JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The dumbest thing you will read all day is Interstate Pawns' post about the lack of "anglo" faces looting....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's cause most of the white people left! Only those too poor to drive away are still there. In N.O., the average white person has 3 times the income that the average black person has.

Isn't it interesting how when you see white people on the news looking through the rubble, the commentary is that they are "finding" things, while when the people are black, they are "looting"? Nothing changes in the Crescent City.

• Options
    edited November -1
    I still call BS on your statement. You claim that the budget was cut to support the war in Iraq. I say the budget was cut because bolstering New Orleans' levee system should not be a federal matter.

I don't see anything in any of those quotes to indicate that the city or the state of Louisiana could not have forked up the money. They (New Orleans and Lousiana) blew it, not GW Bush.

Excuse me for not caring to spend my federal tax dollars building levees to help people live where any sane person wouldn't live. If New Orleans needs levees to stay dry then New Orleans residents should pay for said levees.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh, well. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

• Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    remind me when a design my next city, to ensure its 10 ft below sea level and at the mouth of a large river and between a lake. and remind me not to complain when it gets wiped out. [8]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Could it be that the bad guys intentionally goaded us into war so we wouldn't have enough money to raise the levees and NOLA would be wiped out?

Those devious b'stards.[}:)]
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    I think GW paid Osama to run the top secret weather manipulation machine that caused the hurricane. This was all done to drive the price of oil up and make GW richer.

I am not a number I am a free man

sig

Volin.gif
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dude your full of BS. they have been fixing these things forever
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    remind me when a design my next city, to ensure its 10 ft below sea level and at the mouth of a large river and between a lake. and remind me not to complain when it gets wiped out. [8]

You do realize, N.O. is there for a reason? The presence of the river and lake make it one of the best harbors in the world. It's the world #1 in shipment of grain, and the US #2 for fuels. Then there's the fact that it's a huge petroleum center. All those people don't live there because it's below sea level, they live there in spite of it.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Heard there is a third breech of the levee..

• Options
    edited November -1
    Will never think Led Zeppelin song, "When the Levee Breaks" is quite so cool again....

• Options
    edited November -1
    So explain to me, chunkstyle, why New Orleans and the State of Louisiana didn't fork over the money to fix the levees? Or did the city collectively choose to commit suicide?
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just wanted to add NO had one of the biggest tourism in America. And like what someone else said, i shouldn't have to pay for there problem.

NO MORE MARDI GRA!!!!! NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Options
    SKYDIVER386SKYDIVER386 Member Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chunk, I think it is pointless to blame anyone for what happened in N.O. because no matter what, Mother Nature can dish out far more than any man made structure can stand, including anything built by the ACOE.

The magnitude of this storm made it almost impossible to save the city. All that is left to do now is to pray for those lost souls and to help put things back together.

"Muslims are the first victims of Islam. Many times I have observed in my travels in the Orient, that fanatacism comes from a small number of dangerous men who maintain the others in the practice of religion by terror. To liberate a Muslim from his religion is the best service one can render him."
    -E. Renan
  • Options
    fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady
    Will never think Led Zeppelin song, "When the Levee Breaks" is quite so cool again....

Same with 'New Orleans is Sinking' by the Tragically Hip.[V]

99% of all lawyers make the rest look bad.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by admin
    So explain to me, chunkstyle, why New Orleans and the State of Louisiana didn't fork over the money to fix the levees? Or did the city collectively choose to commit suicide?

Actually, they did come up with the needed matching funds. But the Feds yanked back their promised share.

• Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Maybe Michael Moore can do a "documentary" about it. Maybe he could hire ol' Chunk as a technical advisor.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    jwade311jwade311 Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, first of all, nobody made the citizens of New Orleans move into a city that sits 12 feet below sea level. Second of all, if they didn't learn from Andrew, shame on them. Just like the old saying, F*** me once, shame on you, F*** me twice, shame on me.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  • Options
    SKYDIVER386SKYDIVER386 Member Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still think the idea of blaming Bush for the mess in N.O. is downright silly. As I stated above, when you have nothing but a rain soaked dirt mound seperating your entire city from several MILLION tons of water flowing at floodlevel pace, it is only a matter of time before it gives way. Erosion is going to rapidly destroy it! To think you have any chance of holding off a raging storm like this by heaping a few more feet of dirt on the top of a mound is foolhardy.

Blaming Bush for not holding off mother nature is a joke.[:(!]

"Muslims are the first victims of Islam. Many times I have observed in my travels in the Orient, that fanatacism comes from a small number of dangerous men who maintain the others in the practice of religion by terror. To liberate a Muslim from his religion is the best service one can render him."
    -E. Renan
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    A plan by the corps in 2004 means it probably wouldn't have been done til 2010 even with the money available. Moot point. Too little too late.
  • Options
    neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    People should be responsible for their own situations. If the levees around New Orleans needed studied and/or reinforced, then the residents of New Orleans should be the ones to provide. If the federal gov't would have taken $10 from each of the retirees social security checks and also $10 from each of the welfare recipients and funded the project with this, then there would have been PLENTY of money to take care of it. But no, people of this nature want others to pay for everything. Everyone knows as well as I do that the ones left there didn't think it would be near as bad as it is. Or they were being opportunistic and trying to ride out the storm where they could then have a five finger windfall. They were warned and warned. Still didn't listen to the experts and leave. Now, we are spending federal monies to get to their dumb***es. They should garnish their federal checks to offset the expenses.

Hunt with your son today instead of hunting for him tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The levee system that protected New Orleans from hurricane-caused surges along Lake Pontchartrain was never designed to survive a storm the size of Hurricane Katrina, the Army Corps of Engineers said Thursday.

The levees were built to withstand only a Category 3 storm, something projections suggested would strike New Orleans only once every two or three centuries, the commander of the corps, Lt. Gen. Carl A. Strock, told reporters in a conference call. Katrina was a Category 4 storm.

Strock said that the levee system's design was settled on a quarter of a century ago, before the current numerical system of classifying storms was in widespread use. He said that studies had begun recently on strengthening the system to protect against Category 4 and 5 hurricanes, but hadn't progressed very far.

Strock added that despite a May report by the Corps' Louisiana district that a lack of federal funding had slowed construction of hurricane protection, nothing the Corps could have done recently would have prevented Katrina from flooding New Orleans.

"The levee projects that failed were at full project design and were not really going to be improved," Strock said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/krwashbureau/20050902/ts_krwashbureau/_wea_katrina_levee
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    We gained Fallujah, but lost New Orleans.now if we could just do that with new york and ca.
  • Options
    newgunguynewgunguy Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm curious to know where everyone here lives that is complaining that they don't want to pay for the NO levees.

The reason I ask is that the coastal states pay the largest percentage of the Federal taxes supplying the federal budget for the whole nation, not just their state. I live in MA and my dollars do not all come back to me. I'm paying for some other American's highway to be maintained and that's the way things work.

You can all scream BS at Chunk all you want but deep down you know you're wrong. Among the moronic looters in the Gulf, there are good honest Americans dying. Kids, pregnant women, elderly, etc. The first food drops happened today...4 days after the storm. The Bush administration was asleep at the wheel...again.

The levee should have been sured up and the relief effort should have been a hell of a lot more effective up to this point.
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    quote:To answer Shootist's question, the USACE has controlled the construction in the entire Mississippi Valley (and all other navigable waters) for ages, it is one of their core functions.

Indeed it has been for some time - but it should not be!

NRA ENdowment, CRPA Life, Past President NRA Members Council
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem. Semper Fidelis
    marinesega2.jpg
  • Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    We lost those 2 a long time agoquote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    We gained Fallujah, but lost New Orleans.now if we could just do that with new york and ca.

"When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember that it is still an evil."
    - Max Lerner