In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Home Brews

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
A friend of mine is burning a CD with a bunch of home-made MPEGS of the beer brewing process and JPEGS of the tools that he uses in the process. Is anyone here a home-brew master that would lend advice on books and sources of info for homebrewing? I know I could go down to the bookstore or amazon.com but I want to know what has worked for others.

Comments

• NEEDCOLDNEEDCOLD Member Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm by no means a master, but I brew my own from time to time. I use a True Brew kit and usually an ingredient kit along with it. It comes with everything you'll need to get going (except for the bottles).It makes a pretty good India Pale Ale, and is pretty fun, too.Look up 'American Brewmasters' here in NC on the web, send them an email, and they'll be more than happy to help you out with whatever you may need.
  • will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Reload bullets and bottles? Now that's a dang good idea!
    If you run, you'll just die tired!
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My parents have been brewing root beer since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. It always made a better root beer than what you could buy off the shelf. A buddy of mine got into it but he lives in Colorado. He's the one that sparked my interest with a telephone call last night. I like beer in quality, not quantity. Speaking of reloads, I have found that those who reload are not the types that just go to the range to burn ammo and blast targets. This is similar to my attitude towards beer. I'm not much of a drinker but I do enjoy a fine handcrafted beer with a healthy steak on occasion and you just can't get that in Iowa.[This message has been edited by idsman75 (edited 10-01-2001).]
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cannot imagine any beer that will improve the taste of a stake! On the other hand, go to the Fourth Street Brewery, try one of their custom brews and have one of their fine steaks. I think you will find a beer to your liking, and a steak as well. Yes, you can get both in Iowa, right in your town, although I think Minerva's has better steaks than the Brewery. Cahill's has even better steaks, but you have to cross the river to get one. The Brewery is the only one to have custom beers.Forgive me for having a little fun at your expense on the stake/steak thing! Let me know what you think of the Brewery brews.
  • 218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Man,it`s after midnight,and I don`t have a steak nor beer in the house.
  • legn4legn4 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey 218bk does Busch Lite go with gator steaks?
    Work'n like a dog all nite
  • 218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    legn4,I hate ta tell ya ol` buddy,I`ve seen,and smelled so many skinned and rotten gators i`d never eat one of the thangs!!Bush lite go`s fine in batter for deep fried shrimp and oysters though!!
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?
  • twinstwins Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't get a good stake in Iowa, WTF.Then you are not in a good resturant, as far as beer goes, piss in a bottle is piss in a bottle. Some just taste better, but not that much.
  • Norman DogNorman Dog Member Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I appreciate Saxon Pig's endorsement - Thanks!Idsman - If you are just starting out and want a laid-back approach, then get The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian. If you are a beginner and want a little more scientific approach, then get Dave Miller's Homebrewing Guide. If you are really into it and want something more advanced, then get The New Brewing Lager Beer by John Noonan. All of these books have been a great help to me and continue to be an invaluable source of brewing knowledge. You may notice by the titles that these books are in their second or third iteration. The hobby keeps geeting better as more knowledge is gained by more and more homebrewers. Try to find a club in your area and your learning curve will be a little flatter.Relax, have a homebrew.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Norman Dog,I appreciate your feedback. I just want to do something small scale for infrequent personal consumption. I'd like to be able to enjoy it in the comfort of my home instead of going to a Brewery/Restaurant for it. I miss all of the fine local handcrafted brews that you could buy at the store when I was stationed at Fort Lewis, WA. JudgeColt--I had my first day off in 2 weeks yesterday. My spirit was willing but my mind and body were weak. You can bust me for bad grammar and misspellings anytime you like. As soon as one of my applicants gets a custody issue taken care of, I'll be down your way to run some police checks. I'll pop my head in and say "hello" if you are working but not too busy. The seller told me that his gun store has been having a hard time keeping anything on the shelves since September 11 but those other 2 magazines are going to be on their way to my mailbox soon.Thanks again for the help with the transfer and thanks for letting me check out some exceptional rifles.
  • roysharoysha Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to www.leeners.com. If they don't have what you want or need, you probably better change your mind.