In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

now lets try underrated calibers...

jdb123jdb123 Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
now if overrated calibers wasnt fun enough, lets try UNDERRTED CALIBERS i say the .300winmag, anytime magnums are brought up 7mm rem mag is the one everyone goes too even though the .300 outperforms it. sorry for these generic topics, as i am trying to be more civil in here and opinions are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a caliber expert, but I have read and heard a few comments about how the 35 remington is a poor hunting choice. I do not hunt with one, but several of my hunting buddies do. They can shoot at a deers tail while it is running away, and that deer will drop in its tracks(perhaps a bit of an exaggeration).

Happiness is a warm gun

Edited by - salzo on 04/10/2002 20:03:44
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This one is easy. The 10mm and the 41 mag. The 10mm got a bad rap because the gun companies couldn't shoot it off of their 9mm platform guns. IMHO the 10mm should be our miltary sidearm if not the .45, instead of the 9mm. Anyone that has ever shot a 10mm can relate to the fact that it has more power than the .45 and is faster than the 9mm. The 10mm also works well as a submachinegun caliber. As for the 41 mag it is overshadowed by the .44 mag because it wasn't in a Clint Eastwood movie. The ballistics for the 41 mag with greatly improve if the bullet weight selection was as great as the 44.
  • Options
    jdb123jdb123 Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as i have no personal experience with the 10mm i have heard only good things about it, so i say agreed royc38 on your thread.
  • Options
    mdcacmdcac Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .22. if i had to choose just one.
  • Options
    LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    300 Savage
    Great all round caliber overshadowed by the 30-30.
  • Options
    280win280win Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    280 REM ,244 REM , If I had to choose.
  • Options
    jastrjastr Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the .22 lr as being an underated caliber. I am one of those guys who like the dirty .30's myself, but I think alot of people on this mesage board underate the potential of a well place shot with smaller calibers. They all equal dead!

lets all be responsible! shoot a criminal!
  • Options
    PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7 X 57mm (AKA 7mm Mauser). Fantastic whitetail round.

The Almighty Himself Entrusted the Future of All Living Creatures to a Wooden Boat.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -"Audemus jura nostra defendere"
  • Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    I agree on the 280 rem. This cartridge deserves much more popularity than it has.
  • Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I say the 22LR also. It might not shoot through an engine block, but it gets the job done.

NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    25-06 and 22-250!!!!! If I had to choose tonight only one gun that I had to use regardless of what I was Hunting, it would be between these two! I think that Mr. Neidner was a genious!! I also think the 250 is so far ahead of the other 22calibers it needs a catagory all to itself!! No I don't even own one at this time but I've shot them for years and am still amazed at the accuracy and effectiveness of this round. I guess though that I would have to take the 25-06 if I could have only one!! We might have an outbreak of elephants or grizzlies in SW VA this year!! GHD
  • Options
    DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amen, Pelican! The 7x57 is a good one. Gotta agree on the .41, too.

DarkStar11"Now is the test of the boomerangtossed in the night of redeeming"
  • Options
    BNRVABNRVA Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I have to agree the 41 mag and the 10mm are very under rated. Politics and expectations ? Go figure. I believe they are very good rounds and should and will have a very devoted following untill they are excepted in main stream pistal shooting.
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    25/06,.280,41mag

A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I like my 30-40 krag to .
  • Options
    mcneely77mcneely77 Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am with Lightning. I have a model 99 .300 savage, and have a he#$ of a time finding ammo.

IALEFI, ASLET, NRA and all around good guy.
  • Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    257 Roberts, 264 Win Mag, 38/40, and the 41mag
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Without a doubt, the .41 Magnum. Fantastic Hunting round for Whitetail.
  • Options
    sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't see much talk about the 243 Win. This cartrige
    is a great shooter from varmits to deer. Its great when
    your after Wil-E-Coyote. Just re-load it according to what
    best suits your needs.

newbee,,cherry,,pond scum,,,no stars,,lowern' a snake in a wagon wheel rut,,, :{
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what about the 284 win
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say the 10mm definatly, doesn't get enough credit, one day I think it will have a comeback. I shoot a .40sw and sometimes wish I had just a little more powder capacity.

I also have to say the 6.5x55swedish, its really one fine stable round, theres even a new one that works in short chambered rifles called the .260rem, has the same balistics but more practical OAL. The 6.5mm bullet has pretty good ballistic coef. I think. Great for white tail.

Also the .41magnum, thats one heck of a good revolver round.

Don't hear much about the old Ackley Improved Cartidges anymore either.

And what about M1 Carbines chambered in the .30Kurtz. Its a little improvement.

The .50 Fat Mac didn't hit it off much either. Everyones buying .50BMG, because its the biggest badest magnum cartridge, but nobody ever says anything about the .50 Fat Mac, it outperforms the BMG.

Visit me http://www.geocities.com/gunsmithlee
  • Options
    ElbestaElbesta Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have to go with the 8x57, if they just had a better selection of bullets for reloading.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    250/3000

Clouder..

Never shoot a skunk in your own front yard!
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clouder, I figured you would list the 6.5x55 Swede, given your experience moose hunting with that round!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you read the new gun mags, underated would any thing that
    is not a short magnum.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He Dog:
    Love the little Swede but found out recently that to get any velocity you have to shoot FMJ. And that takes it out of the moose category.

Sometimes I'd just as soon be left in my ignorance.

Clouder..

Never shoot a skunk in your own front yard!
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    250 savage, 32 H&R magnum.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like .257 Roberts. It seems to be fading away, but I am doing my best to keep it alive.
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He dog,Love that .257.Mine is a Win light weight.I tried the Hornady Light magnums.They bring it up the same as a 25/06.They bring it up O.K.,But they sure slamed me back,BIG time.Have you tried them?.I will send you what I have left if you wont.

A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    I agree with Salzo. In second growth timber, a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington is about as good as it gets!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    xtracer:
    If it's timber yer huntin' 'specially that second growth stuff, I know for a fact there's a round that will take 'em out in two shots.
    Guaranteed!

Clouder..
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whiteclouder- HEHEHEHE.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    OLD SF-EROLD SF-ER Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    High Standard sub sonic silenced .22

It will do the job, and no one will know you were there.

Only one better was the OSS Welrod.
  • Options
    REBJrREBJr Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I know what ( and who) the joke's on, but I'd still have to vote in the 7.62x54r.
    THIS IS IN NO WAY AN ENDORSEMENT OF THE RUTHLESS AND SENSELESS KILLING OF INNOCENT TREES AND ANY SUCH ACTION IS HEREBY CONDEMMED BY ME.

HEHEHE Love the fine print

Nothing very, very good or very, very bad lasts for very, very long.
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    clouder-
    your signature about the skunk reminded me of the time my brother found one in his kitchen. this also is (was) a bad place to shoot one.
    especially a momma with 4 kits.
    i still laugh when i think of it! thanx
    barto

the hard stuff we do right away - the impossible takes a little longer
  • Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with 280Win - .280 - very versatile!!!!!!!

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    Gotta agree that the .41mag is very underrated. With a 270 gr bullet, it will equal (or exceed!!!! the much touted .44.

However, the most UNDER RATED caliber is clearly the 30-06. This round will do anything and everything from cottontails at 500 yards to chopping timber!

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always thought the 105mm was underrated. Not as powerful as the mighty 155mm, but it still has a 35m kill radius.

For you who are wondering, that is a picture of something we call APERS or "Beehive". It is an aluminum 105mm round that is filled with approx 8000 8-grain flechettes. The round is fuzed for muzzle action, which means once it clears the tube, the fuze functions, causing all those pretty little nails to spread ala BIG-*-SHOTGUN.

Now, if I can only fit one of those things in my duck blind, I'd be set.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl...

Napoleon

Edited by - Redleg on 04/12/2002 15:24:45