In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Collectors Notes on Proofs (oddities)

One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
edited November 2005 in General Discussion
I know the Gemans and Americans are finatics about marking thier weapons. What manufacturers or contries have you run into that do not meet the norm or have trouble varifying proofs. My latest one was a 1942 Savage built Enfield No 4 Mk 1* (T). The British have a way of doing some vary odd things. My rifle had none of the normal markings of the (T) sniper rifle. Some folks tried to convince me that it was a fake. They indicated the marks were wrong. I contacted some of the most knowledgable people on the subject who assured me I had the real Macoy. A lot of them indicated that the british proof system can be a bit spiratic. Another item that can be a pain to collect are Webly revolvers. What contries have you run into that can be a problem in varifying authenticity using proofs.

"The most persistent sound which reverberates through man's history is the beating of war drums."
Arthur Koestler, UK

Comments

• Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    I've run into a Soviet Mak ('76) that started
    out in the Russian Army and was (maybe) 'Lend
    Leased' to Bulgaria and then exported as
    Bulgarian when it was actually a Ruskie PM.
    It's got some interesting proofs on it. I guess
    the BATF was pretty upset when they finally
    figured out they had been snookered ... by the
    Bulgarians!
    Rus.jpg
  • Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    War era nagants can pose some oddities.

"The most persistent sound which reverberates through man's history is the beating of war drums."
    Arthur Koestler, UK