In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Big Town Gun Show.....Who's in?

OrphanedcowboyOrphanedcowboy Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
I am going this morn see what I can sell or maybe buy......
Orphanedcowboy@msn.com

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I'm going to one today in Medina, OH.
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I'm leaving to go over there now.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Was it me or was everything way to high? I tried to sell a gun, not one offer, and everything was outrageous in price, I was looking at a Marlin 1985G had it marked $499 cash price, I tried to haggle.....he says "WELL, Retail is over $600" I told him I was born durning the night, but it wasn't last night.......sheeeeees
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com [This message has been edited by Orphanedcowboy (edited 12-08-2001).]
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Supply and demand rules all--even in the world of firearms. Most gun shows, in my experience, are way over-priced but I did find some phenomenal deals on Glocks at the Des Moines Gun show. If I had taken a few hundred dollars with me with the intent to buy something I would have laid it down in a heartbeat. Recent major purchases prevented that. However, I will be ready to go when the next one rolls around.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I'm back too. I agree. Spent $70.00 and agrivated the damaged knee from walking too much, but it was better than watching the TV.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    I was there today, but it was slow. Well-attended but slow.And I have a table full of new Marlin .22 rifles at $10 over wholesale!I will be back again tomorrow, but late, after church.I am in section C-1 if anyone wants to stop and say howdy.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    were you on the corner Nunn? I should say the end of one row of tables near the middle?
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com [This message has been edited by Orphanedcowboy (edited 12-09-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was on the east side of C1. Today was a bust.Shows are starting to smell.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Nunn,Sorry the show was a bust. Too bad I wasn't there -- I fell asleep last night thumbing through the 2001 Marlin catalog. (No joke.) There was at least one rifle on each page I wouldn't mind having.I own one discontinued Marlin (Camp 9N), but otherwise I don't know much about the company. How would you rate Marlin versus, say, Ruger?
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Arghhhhh!I wish to God I lived in a semi-civilized semi-Republican state. 3/4s of NY votes Democrat, and in NYC and Albany its more like 7/8ths.Theres a grand total of one yearly gun show in upstate NY that's worth a damn, and I wouldnt be suprised if that got taken away at some point too. Grrr.Brief Digression: Gov. Pataki wants to raise the cig tax 35 cents a pack to try and "offset some of the cost" of the NYC disaster. For the record, New York State ALREADY has the highest tobacco tax rate in the country at $1.50 a pack. In North Carolina, the tax is 20 cents.I never got a reply to my letter proposing a $20.00 tax on every ridiculous stuffed-shirt written law proposed in the legislature to try and offset the cost of NYC. The mail's slow this time of year. :-)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dear Bullzeye, I feel your pain. I live in Albany County!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Blade, I have not examined the Ruger, but I have heard good reviews of it. My trouble with the Ruger is that the stock is a structural component of the action. Nothing much you can do to customize it. The Marlin is a cute little gun, but it is discontinued, and was only available in 9mm and .45. The Ruger is only available in 9mm and .40.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Again, Officer Nunn,Maybe this should have been in "Ask the Experts," and maybe this question is too much in the beginner category, but here goes anyway because I saw your earlier post about having a table full of Marlin .22s at good prices. (And thanks for your earlier response, BTW.)I should have been more specific in my previous post. I have both a Ruger PC9 and a Marlin Camp 9N. I got them as "house guns" for two houses, but I haven't decided which will go where until I have more experience with them. They both seem like nice firearms so far. My original idea was to get a carbine that I could interchange mags with a handgun, and also easy to shoot so my wife could learn along with me.In the process of this, I am joining a club where they have rifle competitions, which I think will be fun; but I don't believe either carbine will fit into one of their categories. So I will need to get something else, probably a .22. I have both the Ruger and the Marlin catalogs and both look good to me. Since you are selling the Marlin line, what would you recommend as a .22 for a target shooter who hasn't shot a .22 in 20+ years, never owned one personally, and doesn't want to put a lot of $ into it, at least initially? Would a used .22 be better for me? (I could get one from the same place I got the Camp 9N; I got the PC9 on GB because none of my local shops could get one for me.)I asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago about a .22 for a 13 year old son as a birthday present, and it came down to Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22. But the old man (me) would like one also!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gordian:Thats really interesting! Whereabouts in Albany County do you live?I lived in Guilderland, then Altamont for a while. Currently I'm in Duanesburg in Schenectady county. I'd move to Texas, but I've got family here :-)The only real substantial gun show I know of in the area is the yearly show at the Empire State Plaza the Empire State Gun Owners Association puts on in February.I go every year, but I find myself counting the days every year when December and January roll around.Currently I'm pursuing a supposedly (very) slightly used Rem. 700 .30-06 I saw in the Want Ad Digest. Some guy in Troy who described the grip checkering as "that grippy stuff on the part where you hold your hand in the front....whassit called?"You know what they say, A fool and his gun that's worth $400 but I'm going to pay $225 for are soon parted.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Bullzeye, fancy having found an "almost" neighbor here! I live in the Town of Bethlehem, in a neighborhood where owning a firearm is considered dangerously impolite.When is the Empire State show this Feb? Last year, I think I was out of town.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not precisely sure. I'll check though and get back to you.I'm a member of the Bethlehem Sportsman's Club, actually. Up near Clarksville, on Cass Hill Road.It's about a half hour drive from Duanesburg down Rt. 20 and through the middle of Altamont and Voorheesville and up the mountain to get there, but its one of the only ones around I know about.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm joining the Watervliet Fish and Game Protective Association this Thursday night at their monthly meeting. (If I'm voted in.) It's just off Rt. 155 where it crosses the RR tracks. They have an extensive range for pistols, rifles, and shotguns; and an indoor range for pistols and low-power .22 rifles. You can check them on the web at www.global2000.net/wfg I was thinking of the Bethlehem Club, but the past president evidently died, and when I called his widow by mistake (oops!) she didn't know who had taken over.There's also the Albany Pistol Club right down the road from me. I took a pistol safety course there, but I'm still about 6 months out from getting my permit, so there's no point in my joining there for now. They have a nice indoor range for pistols only.
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    back to the top