In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone from michigan- help!

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
Non gun question, but here goes. My travels frequently take me to Toledo, OH, a stone's throw from MI. I see on pop cans that MI offers ten cents a can deposit. What, you take these to grocery stores to redeem? Does the can have to be whole or can it be crushed? I drink a lot of diet soda and if I can make $100 by saving my cans and hauling them with me to MI, great!
"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.

Comments

• Options
    NateNate Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes you take the pop cans to the store to get your 10 cents back. You dont crush them, most places wont take them back if they are.But it is against the law to bring pop cans from another state into michigan and get deposit for them. There is a big fine and possible jail time for this. I work in a grocery store and we have problems with this all the time. College kids bring pop cans from wisconsin and try to make a quick buck.
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nate is absolutely correct. Because Michigan is the only state (that I know of) to offer the $0.10 deposit stores are VERY careful about accepting out-of-state cans. And, the automated machines read the bar codes and can distinguish between MI and other cans. Also like Nate said, don't even try it, if you get caught it won't be worth the $100.As a kid I used to earn up to $25.00 per week picking up cans at local parks, etc. In fact, in college we used to require that people who came over to our house to party left their cans (it gave us enough money to buy more beer the next day!).G36
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well for God's sake, what a stupid law. Here in OH, I can only get about fifteen cents per pound on aluminum, making it hardly worth saving them. I know in Maine, you get 5 cents per can and when we are there on vacation, we always save them, and get a refund, no questions asked.
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    It`s actually a very effective law. It keeps litter off the roadsides. Those cans or bottles that are thrown out on roadsides are usually picked up by someone for the cash.
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, it is a very effective law. When I was a kid in the 70s there were always dozens of beer cans up and down both sides of the road, in the 1/4 mile stretch in front of our house. Now on that same stretch, which went from just 2 houses to about 6, and the huge population increase in the surrounding area, you will never find a can on the road. Kids, like me, will pick up the seldom found "dime", and use it for gas, or candy, in a hearbeat. I know where I live now, in Missouri, they could use a similar program, I swear its the white trash capital of the nation, there are roads here where it looks as if it has snowed in the summer time, with all the paper and cans etc., its a shame, cause the state is really pretty. I guess only the states with a little pride care enough to do something about litter control.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lord, Lord you fellas are making me feel OLD! I used to get 2 cents each for glass soda bottles!
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think as long as the can says MI-10 on the top, you can redeem them. Most cans in WI don't say that, but once in awhile, you'll find a bunch. When I do, I bring them to my uncle in MI, and he's never had a problem redeeming them. Don't know about the bar code business........
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I tell you guys you can make more than a little money from the cans...This year during our high school NJROTC can/bottle drive that we use to earn money for the cadets to do activities during the year we raised just over $5000 in one weekend's work for about 80 cadets. The kids ended up giving $1000 of that money to the Sept 11th Fund which made me very proud of them that they thought of others in need. And our highways, beaches and recreational areas are very clean compared to many other states. Yes it's a pain to pay 60 cents in deposit fees for a six pack of soda....but you know no one throws their bottles out in the grass. And strictly from a selfish stand point my cadets sure get to have some great activities because of those cans! This year some of them will be going to Virginia, Florida, Kentucky, and Rhode Island. Not to bad for a bunch of down river kids! Beach