In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beachmaster u know about the U.S.S. RANGER CV4

5db5db Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
Beachmaster or anyone else here know about this carrier? I'm told it was the first from the keel up carrier.I ran into their reunion last night. I met a gentleman there by the name of Zeller who as a pilot flew off of that 1,000 foot deck in a bi-plane! He invited me to join them today to visit and get a "tour" of their display. I didn't catch all the story but seems one of their proudest moments had to do with Norway during WWII.
If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website

Comments

• Options
    sig-mansig-man Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw a shorter version of a carrier I think they call it a bird farm with the number 4 on the side of it yesterday in one of the shipyards here in norfolk va.Do they use the same numbers on different ships, this number was on the super structure and bow...
  • Options
    metzmetz Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "c" designates it's a carrier the "v" is the designation for fixed wing aircraft the "4" will be the 4th such designation. If it was built from the keel up (the first several were converted hulls/ships that had a large "flight deck" built on them), it would of been built in Newport News, Va. I thinkk all the carriers have/are built there. I spent my first year in the Navy there doing a C.O.H. on the Eisenhower (CVN-69, the "n" means nuclear). They should have a place for information with all the history they have.Andy
  • Options
    ZakZak Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sig,The ship you saw in norfolk was probably one of the Wasp class LHDs. New ships designed for amphibious warfare.
    Okay, Okay, I'm a rabbit, I'm a rabbit!
  • Options
    ZakZak Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sig,The ship you saw in norfolk was probably one of the Wasp class LHDs. New ships designed for amphibious warfare.
    Okay, Okay, I'm a rabbit, I'm a rabbit!
  • Options
    5db5db Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    alledan, Thanks for the link. Along with some other info, there is a photo of the ship. Mr. Zeller told me his ship has long become razor blades.
    If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well a long time ago I did a tour as First Lieutenant on USS Ranger (CV-61). I vaguely remember some passing reference to the earlier Ranger air craft carrier. But it was the first USS Ranger, a small frigate(20 guns), that is most remembered in the Navy as the ship which took the first salute to the American flag. However if you contact the United States Naval Institute, they can provide you a brief history on just about any ship in the United States Navy as well as a photograph of the ship. You know CV-61 commissioned in 1957 was only 1071 feet long. I kind of doubt that CV-4 would have been 1000 feet long. If it was commissioned in the 1920's or 30's I'd think it was probably around 750-800 feet long at the max. Of course that's pure conjecture on my part. Like I said though USNI would have all the details on the ship. Beach