In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Garand vs. M1A

concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
Is the Springfield M1A the new version of the classic M1 Garand? They look very similar, and I want to know if the M1A performs as well.Thanks

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Springfield M1A is a semiauto version of the USGI M14 magazine fed 7.62 battle rifle.It did come along and replace the M1 Garand,in theory in 1959.The sights and trigger groups can be interchanged.The gas system and chambering is different.Both very nice battle rifles.I would call the M14 the son of the M1.The M1A is a trademarked name for a cousin of the M14.[This message has been edited by cpermd (edited 09-10-2001).]
  • Options
    opentopopentop Member Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not the same rifle. Springfield just calls their M1A that. It's actually a civilian version of the US Gov't M-14 which in my opinion was the best .30 caliber military rifle ever made. Arguably, the M-14 was a "desendent" of the M1 Garand, but it is quite a bit different in that the operating system is different as is the caliber which was .308 WIN (7.62 NATO) in the M-14/Springfield M1A and .30-06 in the original M1 Garand.