In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Received my Ka-Bar today!

offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Nice knife -- bigger than I expected it would be, much bigger than my M4 bayonet for example. I scoured the literature in the box to make sure it was authentic Ka-Bar, too. I got it through Sportsman's Guide and there is so much Chinese stuff out there I wanted to be sure. And yes, it's from Olean, New York.

There's a nice brochure included and it turns out there's a newer "next generation verion" as well as a nice tanto, a Warthog, a mini-Warthog (named after the ugly/beautiful plane?) and many others from Ka-Bar -- even a Kukri type machete. This was only $36 through the Buyer's Club. A very good deal. The best sheath I've seen in a while, too, nice thick leather. I'm going to enjoy this for a lifetime.

I also got another Swedish Mora, the diving knife, and have another tactical utility on back-order. For $9, you can't hardly beat the Moras for sharpness and above-average quality. That stainless blade polishes to a mirror surface too. But the Ka-Bar is first rate.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif

Comments

• RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Model Number did you get?
    I have the 1245 and 1221 models.

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a 1217. Even the box is 'kewel.'

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

• Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have a link to the Olean, NY K-Bar Homepage, or a link to a place to buy one of these beauties?

Thanks.

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me." -Isaiah 6:8
    edited November -1
    Try these:

https://www.kabar.com/

http://www.sportsmansguide.com

• PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    offeror, you post caused me to pull out my latest in a long line of Ka-Bars. It is the Short Ka-Bar. Never saw one I didn't like. I'm going to Pigeon Forge, TN in a few days, Guess I'll have to stop by Smokey Mountain Knife Works and maybe pick up another.
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Kabar did someone mention Kabar???? Did I mention I work there! Ive been drilling 1217's till Im blue in the face!!! Spent the last month milling the tangs on some 1211's!!!

The next generations are very nice, check out the website ya can find some really nice sheaths on there!!! You guys would cry if ya knew what I pay for these! Unfortunatly Im not allowed to buy them for anyone else, if I buy them I must give them as gifts!! But i have been known to give a few away from time to time!!

Hey Niner post the pics of yours!

Here's a pic of one of mine!
    kabar22.JPG

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes he has been known to give one or two away! Thank you Tim! Bad thing is I don't want to use it on anything. Nicest knife I have and it looks cool on the gun rack[:D]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • 358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Offer do you happen to have the item number cause ifing Pa makes them I want one[:p]
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    PA, put me on your christmas list for next year[:D]

JuJu(warm enough up there for you PA?)[:o)]
    edited November -1
    Lonnie post a picture of yours!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

• njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    I am very grateful to Tim for mine as well. My brother-in-law tried his best to get it from me, but thanks to Mrs njretcop hitting him with her purse, I still have it. [^]

Those Marines steal!![:(!]

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
    edited November -1
    JUJu: As ya know I owe ya!! Ya just never know what and when ya might receive in the mail!![^]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

edited November -1
    PA, you dont owe me diddly. I am just glad me and you got our er a differences worked out. You turned out to be an good guy,buy the way I enjoy some of the pics and stuff you e-mail me.

JuJu(where has that boy been anyhow?)
  • 270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Pabooger, I've been filleting a lot of fish latley. That fisherman solutions knife you gave me is great! After everytime I fillet with it, I spray it with remington gun oil and it keep it sharp as hell! I filleted with mine and my dads, both the same knife, I sprayed mine with the oil and not my dads, and I can tell a big difference, the one that I spray oil on is staying a lot sharper after I fillet a bunch of fish! I spray them all now, are you supposed to keep knives oiled up?

"A blood trail is life" (Ted Nugent)
    turkey.gif
    edited November -1
    Paul, oil won't hurt!!! When it gets wore out let me know Ill get ya a replacement blade!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

edited November -1
    Hey 270, how you been. I havent seen you post ( I coulda just missed it)?

I wouldnt oil any knife without cleaning it before using it. Some oil is toxic and can be transferred to the food you are cutting with it.

JuJu(got any big catfish lately?, thats my favorite fishing now)
  • 270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    juju, I havent been on much, dont have much time. I always clean them before cleaning the fish. I've been good. How have you been latley? I've been ice fishing on the bay for perch! The last couple days I have also been out steelhead fishing. I dont fish for catfish but I caught 3 last summer while fishing for bass.

"A blood trail is life" (Ted Nugent)
    turkey.gif
    edited November -1
    Ice fishing, brrrrrr, your a better man than me son.

Take care, dont fall in and fry a mess up for me.

JuJu(who can barely sit still in the cold to deer hunt)
    edited November -1
    Here it is, me trying to be a photographer[:D]
    kabar.jpg

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    Lonnie :: That picture turned out great!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

edited November -1
    Paul: You be careful I lost a very good friend over to Kinzua a few years ago! He was a hard core Icefisherman and did it for years! He made a mistake and it cost him his life!!! Left behind to cute kids and a wife!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

edited November -1
    Almost looks like a magazine cover don't it[:D][:D][:D][:D]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Nice goin Pa,

Ya gave Lonnie one with a handle! The one ya gave me has no handle and ya told me it's the latest thing in perfectly balanced throwing knives. I believed it to. [:(]

Don't matter anyway, Mrs njretcop is using in her flower pot to hold up her African Violets.....

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpg

Charlie
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have a camera.
    I saved the picture you took.
    Here's my Ka-Bar 1245 compliments of PaBooger.
    Ka-Bar_tanto.jpg
    This is my 1221 taken with a Brand New $10 Digital Camera.
    Ka-Bar1221.jpg

sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
    edited November -1
    I left the handle off cause I didn't want ya to cut yourself!!![:D]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

• Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Pa, think I'll get me onea those 'Army' models. Gotta help keep ya employed. If ya lost your job, ain't no tellin whatchad do to get by!

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • jimbo1096jimbo1096 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bladez.com has a pretty good sale on a lot of the KA-BAR knives. For those not fortunate to have a mole at the factory----
    try www.bladez.com/kabar.html

example:

KA-BAR 1211
    USMC Fighting Knife, 7" Black Epoxy Powder Coat blade, Kraton handle, Black leather sheath, CS

$54.95 $33.25 On Sale!
    edited November -1
    yeah, Pa, I knew you worked there from previous threads. Congrats on a quality product line. Maybe some day we can arrange a trade -- I'll gift you something and you can gift me something. [:D]

Meanwhile, I like this 'un.

In answer to 358-Win's question, the Sportsman's Guide item number is AX4M-55576 for this Ka-Bar. Price is $39.97, Buyer's Club discount price is $35.97.

edited November -1
    Just a word to the wise! Not all Kabar are made in Olean, Ny, some are made over seas! To my knowledge most if not all the Military style fighting knives are now being made solely in Olean, Ny. once again!

Kabar is actually a subsiduary of Cutco! We work for Cutco, most of the Kabar is assembled next door in the other plant! I work in the blanking dept, so I get to do some of the preliminary work on them! Occasionally I get to work in heat treat which is also in our dept!

I used to assemble the Kabar's but too many women in that dept! Not that I don't like women it's just that they are always squabbling!![:D]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

• 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    i love my ka-bar 2

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • 358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the number offeror,may try to find a 1245 like the one RugerNiner posted I like the tanto style [:p]

Son if you didn't learn something today, you wasted the whole day. (Jasper N. Lee, my granddaddy)