In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NOT the same question about reloads

schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
In reading the reasons why you shouldn't use reloads.....could the same arguments be used if you are using high performance ammo (hydra shock, Magtec gold, glaser, silver tip, black talon type (star fire, ranger etc)?

For the sake of being accused of "looking to kill" should I just use plain old FMJ.....Maybe instead of one shot I should empty my gun.....Oh yeah, that is a whole 'nother issue.

What should I do?

I agree.....NO RELOADS! I am just wondering why we can defend ourselves but can't use anything designed for defensive purposes!

"meet me in Margaritaville"

Comments

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't want to get into the arguement, but I'll say factory ammo is less "dangerous" than a reload. Stay away from home loads for self defense.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by Dave W.
    I don't want to get into the arguement, but I'll say factory ammo is less "dangerous" than a reload. Stay away from home loads for self defense.

R/

Dave

I TOTALLY agree.....I was just wondering about using the special "factory" loads.....would they try to make the same argument?

"meet me in Margaritaville"
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I must have missed something. Is someone saying that we shouldn't use hollow points or pre fragmented rounds for self defense?

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The difference being that one can argue that LEOs use these loads and, after learning of this, you felt it was reasonable to rely on their expertise to evaluate the reliability and effectiveness of the load. Provided, of course, that it is legal for you to use such loads (bearing in mind that in the PRNJ it's illegal for civilians to use HP ammo and other jurisdictions may have similar laws - gotta protect the perps people who vote for the POS who make such laws, you know!).

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I guess under that same theory we can't sharpen our own knives (they might be sharper than from the factory)then use it to defend ourselves. As long as my reloads are reliable I have no problem using them for self defense. Remember the burden of proof is on the prosecutor. I don't buy the "he wasn't satisfied with factory ammo so he loaded his own more powerful(enter your choice of words)ammo" statement. One could respond with questions regarding the quest of ammo manufacturers to continually improve the effectiveness of ammo and ask a prosecutor to "prove" that your handloads were more devestating than factory ammo. After all isn't it the purpose of ammo used in self defense to "stop" the aggressor? Under this theory if you had a 380 and 454 at hand and shot the perp with the 454 could the prosecution not claim overkill. Obviously you WANTED to kill the perp because you chose to use the 454 rather than the 380. Unless you fill your HPs with mercury or poison and lawyer with 1/2 a brain could blow the "loading more deadly ammo" spin out of the water.
  • 358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    this is like asking which rifle is better a 270 or 30-06
    I go with the factory loads for self defense but then I like the 06 also

Son if you didn't learn something today, you wasted the whole day. (Jasper N. Lee, my granddaddy)