In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Garden City, Kansas

gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I just might be moving there. Any feed back?

Greg
Former
USMC
ANGLICO

Comments

• hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    western KS is very flat. never lived there I'm over in south central KS and its mostly flat here to.

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others"
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Hotter than Haiti's during the summer. Colder than a witches tit in the winter. Diverse and openminded Midwesterners, (great people).[:D]

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Garden City... It's often a stop-over when we go to Colorado (although we don't go there much any more).

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    I used to spend a lot of time there. Would wait days for loads out of IBP. Had some good times. People are very friendly[;)].
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    haven't been there in years but from what i hear from folks that still live out there IBP has been over run with folks from way down south you know south of the border! town is very divided between longtime residents and all of the newcomers, not a good place to go
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last time I was there it was Excell and Montford. I used to haul salt in and meat & bone out. Don't know what they are doing with the meat & bone now. I read somewhere that one of the plants burnrt don a few years ago and they were not going to rebuild. does anyone know if they did or not?

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • bluecollarbluecollar Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a friend that used to live there, he said the damn dirty stench of the beef plant (or maybe the workers) was enough to suffocate a skunk if it wasnt used to it... Myself used to live not 5 miles from one of the same in Emporia, smells like snot but you get used to it, anyone that visits you wont visit you twice though

"We must all fear evil men, but there is another kind of fear we must fear most...and that is the indifference of good men"
  • sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gap1916
    I just might be moving there. Any feed back?

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO

I spend some time in Dodge City, just East of Garden City.
    To the best of my knowledge the Beef Plant has not been rebuilt and this has put a large financial strain on this little city.
    I believe that between 60 and 80 percent of the school system are children of wetbacks.

The last I knew a large portion of the Vietnamese population that moved to Dodge in the late 70's and early 80's have slowly settled in Garden City.

Saying this, the Kansans that have lived there many generations, (even those of Mexican heritage) are good friendly folk.
    For the most part the illegals pretty much keep to themselves because of the language barrier, among other reasons.

On one of my trips to Dodge when my sis first moved there, my pa sprung for a room for us at the 'Silver Spur'. While at the front desk, I had a good conversation with a young lady (of Mexican heritage) that said she had moved her family to Cimarron to escape the tough school system in Dodge.
    We moved from Dodge to the N.W. corner of the state for the same reason. My wife attended High School for a couple of years and said she would never subject our children to the violence she had to put up with.

Greg,, IMHO,, if you have kids, move to a surrounding small town and commute.

,,,sod

cyclone.gifdemandbeeftag.jpg
    edited November -1
    I'm originally from Pratt, Ks. I used to read of all the killings in Dodge and Garden city between the MEX. pOP. IN THOSE TOWNS. I ran a truck and hauled into the packing plants and marveled at the amount of people that did not speak english. Used to haul to Cimmoron. Not the same. Small town, mostly locals with a small pop. of old country mex. Look long and hard about raiseing kids in Garde City or even Dodge. My kids are grown but grew up in Gt Bend.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
    edited November -1
    Why ya thinkin' of moving there anyway Greg?

• gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    The Hosptial there would like me to join them. It is a consideration.

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
    edited November -1
    What do you do exactly?
    I have ties (my wife) to some hospital HR members here in OKC if you're interested in this area. She also often gets "headhunters" from all over the US looking for people to fill specific positions.

edited November -1
    My Masters Degree is in Health Care Administration. I have 20 years experience in Information Systems and 17 years experince in Health Care. My siginficant other ((Sharon)) is a CNM Certified Nurse Midwife. She has a Bs in Nursing and her MS in Mid-Wifery.

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gap1916
    My Masters Degree is in Health Care Administration. I have 20 years experience in Information Systems and 17 years experince in Health Care. My siginficant other ((Sharon)) is a CNM Certified Nurse Midwife. She has a Bs in Nursing and her MS in Mid-Wifery.

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO

Enough with the BS. I have enough trouble for the both of us.

edited November -1
    So Greg, are you after HR or IS or what?
    Send me an email if you're interested in this area and I'll let my wife know and see what they have around here. She's the benefit coordinator for SSMHC and has ~ 5,200 employees locally. She doesn't do the hiring/firing (except for her few employees that report directly to her) but she's in the HR office with the director and 2 other coordinators.
    I'm not sure you'd want to be around here... I don't think the local gun ranges would let us both on the range at the same time firing off our 10's! [8D]

edited November -1
    What ever happens we need to get together and do a little range time together. Let me know if you are going for the 1076 FBI model in Texas. Keep the faith.

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
    edited November -1
    I also emailed them, (I hadn't gotten your email yet then). I am hoping for more pictures but if I haven't heard from them by tomorrow afternoon I'll go ahead and call them. If the condition is right I'll jump on it. The price is fair, but again that all depends on the condition.
    I'm expecting a check tomorrow, and if I get it I'm gonna go buy a new-style G20 at my local dealer. I'm still waiting on Aglore for the G29. I haven't heard from him so I hope it's still on. Either way, I've got enough saved to do that either way.

I have been going out to your neck of the woods every summer to see my sister in Farmington NM. Maybe we can then...

Seriously dude, if you're interested in this area send me the specifics and I'll have the "little woman" look up to see what's available around here. Dunno 'til we look...

edited November -1
    I will attach me resume to your e-mail address tomorrow. Untill till then have a great night.

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Garden City, Kansas. Home of (they claim) the world's largest outdoor swimming pool. I was through there on a bike ride in 1984 and HAD to take a look at the pool. While I have no proof that it's the "world's largest", it's one DAMN big pool.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Spring CreekSpring Creek Member Posts: 1,260
    edited November -1
    Garden City, KS
    PRE-IBP: Great Mid-Western town with good people-would've recommended it.
    POST-IBP: As most "Packing-Plant" cities, has gone to "Hell in a hand-basket".
    Any City Officials that solicited packing plants to any city should be "Hung
    by the
    ", well you get the idea!
    Garden City, Dodge City, Schuyler, Grand Island, Lexington and on and on.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,457 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

He Dog
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check on larned state hospital in larned ks....hiring qualified people now ....check with karen brown soden, msn arnp, director of nursing services...620 285 4570, secretary's office, pat.
    e-mail karen.soden@srskansas.org.......small town ...large hospital covers 57 of 105 counties in ks. ... many employess live in rural areas & drive in ....cheap living ...good hunting...good school systems in small towns....st. john..macksville, rozel, rush center, etc..they need GOOD PEOPLE.....programs expanding ...new buildings.... great administration.... DO IT......
  • axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used to be (might still be there ) a gun shop called Coyotes. got my first .50 there...not a huge place, but very friendly people.