In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Drones and airspace?

EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
edited August 2015 in General Discussion
Okay a question for those who may know.

How much airspace do I control over my land? If I do not control any then as long as any craft does not touch down they are okay? Or do I have control of some amount?

Any info would be nice...

I would imagine laws may be a bit different in each state, but do the Feds make the air laws?

To top all this off I am in Oklahoma in the Osage Nation. I wonder if treaties from way back cover drones or airspace at all.

We did have a police helicopter land in the yard one time, he was from Wichita Kansas and was low on fuel, he was polite so we did not fire on him. [:)]
Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.

Comments

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,496 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FAA says that above 500 feet is public.

Local / State ordnances can restrict this based upon zoning, etc.

Easy answer? There isn't one, but you probably own between 80 and 500 feet of the airspace above your land, and you can typically fly your drone anywhere above 500' so long as it not otherwise restricted. (Airport, apartment building, etc.).
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,213 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Per FAA: Minimum altitude for aircraft: Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

It does not specify MANNED aircraft, so the rule may be interpreted to include controlled but unmanned air vehicles.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought there was an FAA rule that said drones can't fly more than 400 ft. high?
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    There is also a"drones banned flight area" around any airport - Bonus!
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I doubt I fall under any type of settlement, the crop dusters just go high enough to clear power lines, then they drop low. [:)]
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    So what happens when a remote control drone is shot down by a remote control anti aircraft gun?
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    so the ultra light planes and flying parachute ( what ever they are called ) flying 70 to 100 feet over my head on my property I can shoot down as invaders or trespassers as I wave at them [:D][:D]
    several locals have them and fly over a couple times a month , by the way if there trying to catch me pissing in the back yard there going to have get a lot dam closer to get a look [:I][:I][:o)][:o)]