In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How many chainsaws does the average person have?

2»

Comments

• Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suspect the average number would be well below zero.

32 saws? Any of them evil Assault Saws?
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    Walking through my shop I counted 32 mostly Stihls. Just bout all of these I rebuilt/refurbished to like new from the ground up whatever they needed. I can bout work on them in my sleep. Here is a picture of my MS660, MS460, MS440, 036, 039, MS260, 026, 026. The last few years I have sold dozens on Ebay I rebuilt/refurbished and made good money better than gun sales I've had. It is just a side line hobby I have instead of watching TV much.

3x4LNhw.jpg
    Here is a picture of my MS660 I put crank bearing, oil seals, new piston, honed the cylinder, new carburetor, baked on new paint, full skip chain, some new plastic, pressure and vacuum tested and it has compression of 170 lbs. plus. It is a sawing beast as it has upwards of 8 hp with the dual port muffler and some of the other mods I did to it. You just about can't stall it in wood. I can saw more in 30 minutes with it than can with a 50cc saw all day.
    T7DLFCK.jpg

If you have an 038, let me know, I may be interested.
    That is one I don't have, but I would love to have the 72cc version. The magnum version will cut with a 044. Here is a really nice one if you want it bad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stihl-038-Magnum-Chainsaw-VINTAGE-BARELY-USED-/262965221970?hash=item3d39f2da52:g:swQAAOSwXYtY4WUt

http://www.ebay.com/itm/stihl-038-AV-Magnum-II/201940705766?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=40130&meid=d6d205edfce549399d01a556bd222bd8&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=262965221970
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    I have 4

1. Poulan 3400 with a Bow from around 1979 or 80(LA Made saw)

2. Stihl 034AV with a 20" bar from about the same time.(made in West Germany)

3. Stihl 029 Farmboss, 20" Bar from the late 90's

4. Stihl 170, 16" I got this one a few years ago to trim branches.

I have not used the Poulan in years but it fires right up same with old 034. I use the 029 to cut fire wood for my stove and the little 170 for trimming trees and when I have to climb up in a tree I use it.
    Nice saws as I like the older Poulans. They are as good as any just a tad heavy. I have probably had 20 through the years 3400, 3700, 3800 and the 4000 which are the same except the top end.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    None I only have one tree on my property that I could use one on and I don't plan on cutting it down. I have 7 trees on the outside border of my lot but those are all maintained by the city.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The older Poulans are very good strong saws.

My Dad has one from the late 60's, I think its a Poulan model 66. It still runs. I cranked it up 3 years ago(It had set for 4 or 5 years to that point). I cleaned it up real good, changed the spark plug and made sure it had a spark. He had 2 chains for it both were dull so I sharpened them. You mix 16-1 fuel.

It still cuts. Its a little heavy, touchy and smoky but it will do the job

[:D]
    RLTW

• Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More than I probably need, but the old ones are fun to tinker with. Other than my Homelite 150 Automatic that's always been around, I picked up two even older Homelites a while back; a 700D and I Zip. The 700D needs a bit of carb work, and it will run. The Zip needs a bit more work. When I first got it, it was seized solid. Dumped a capful of Essentialube in the cylinder, let it set a day or so, and it turns now, but the rest of it's gummed up pretty good.

The 700D, the time or two I've got it to run, has to be the most obnoxiously loud saw I've ever witnessed. Sounds like a tomcat poopting razor blades.[:D]

I'm sure some of you guys are familiar with what I'm talking about, but I'll put up a couple pics from Google anyway. I plan on restoring both of them back to their former glory someday. It's neat to know that there are still parts out there for them, too.[:)]

s-l500.jpg

20150425_190036_zpsiah30enz.jpg
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    farfromnormalfarfromnormal Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a three year old Husky 455 Rancher 20", a Stihl MS180 14", a Husky pole saw, and a retired McCulloch 10-10 that was used for firewood cutting for 37 years.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got two ... a Stihl that runs pretty good but is kind of snappy to start. My really old Mac no longer runs but with points and condenser I'm sure it would. The compression release for starting is a wonderful feature.
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    We had a MS660 @ the Sawmill I worked @ for a couple years.

Had a 30" (?) Bar.

I had to use it way too much. [B)][:0]
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    but you only need one [:D][:D]
    MV5BNzk4NjgyNzkyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzQ2MTc2._V1_.jpg