In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Please don't be in DENIAL AND STUPID

cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in General Discussion
I lost my friend Sunday Morning, because of a Heart Attack. He had been complaining of indigestion, and chest pain for a little more than a week. We have been friends since we were 9 years old. we were 62 since oct and jan.
Both his wife and I had been Begging him to go to the Emergencey Room to be checked. He kept saying he would go to his doctor after Easter.
He died of a massave (sp) Heart attack Sunday between 4am and 6am needlessly because he was to stuburn to get checked out.
I don't know what we'll do without him.
PLEASE DON'T TAKE CHANCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TO add to this if you really feel there is an immediate danger you and another take the person under the arms and get him to an ER and don't listen to the excuses.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Here's what I would do.
    If there is an immediate danger to any
    serious heath issue,I'd call 911.
    Those guys are fabulous and the salt of the
    earth.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the reminder.

And I'm very sorry to know about your friend.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am so sorry for your loss. He was most likely thinking of how much he didn't want to put everyone out...and make them worry about him unnecessarily. He was most likely thinking he just didn't want to be a pain.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can identify with him. My own felt remarkably like indigestion. Several times, it even responded to Maalox and alkaseltzer. The only difference was the neck and arm pain. When in doubt, get to the ER. Let THEM tell you it is GERD. Don't make the diagnosis yourself. Mine ended up being a blocked LAD artery and won me 3 stents. [:D]
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My kid brother ignored all the signs and ended up with an LVAD installed in his chest and died 2.5 years later. If he had changed his diet and life style he still might have died, but he would have stood a better chance.
    His example made me look at myself and I ended up having a quad bypass and I made changes in what I eat and drink, plus I walk and exercise now.
    You only get the one body and spare parts are hard to get.
  • Options
    Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    I can identify with him. My own felt remarkably like indigestion. Several times, it even responded to Maalox and alkaseltzer. The only difference was the neck and arm pain. When in doubt, get to the ER. Let THEM tell you it is GERD. Don't make the diagnosis yourself. Mine ended up being a blocked LAD artery and won me 3 stents. [:D]

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking. And two, how old were you when you had this victory, and won your three stents?

Just curious, as I'm trying to motivate myself to behave better. I don't want to have a heart attack, and exit, just yet.

ETA: Or anybody, who wants to share how old they were, when they had a heart attack, please feel free to tell, as well.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very sorry for your loss

I recently been experiencing some acid reflux, not surprising being that I eat the world hotest pepper daily, I narrowed it down to the gum I chew, in on day 5 of prilosec, so far so good, but at 47 it always scares the crap out of you, deep chest pain that can drop you to your knees
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cer
    I lost my friend Sunday Morning, because of a Heart Attack. He had been complaining of indigestion, and chest pain for a little more than a week. We have been friends since we were 9 years old. we were 62 since oct and jan.
    Both his wife and I had been Begging him to go to the Emergencey Room to be checked. He kept saying he would go to his doctor after Easter.
    He died of a massave (sp) Heart attack Sunday between 4am and 6am needlessly because he was to stuburn to get checked out.
    I don't know what we'll do without him.
    PLEASE DON'T TAKE CHANCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am truly sorry about the loss of your long time friend.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So sorry to hear of your friend and my condolences to you and his wife...

NO ONE is guaranteed another second in life.
    All you have is the moment you're currently living.
    The next moment... Could be the end of life as you know it.

Live life to its fullest and taken nothing for granted.
    To ignore anything is to acted in ignorance of what you have.
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    And don't ignore those inner promptings. I thought I heard whistling really late at night once. I got up to check on my grandpa (he also live on the property). He was fine that time. It was just the wind. But that doesn't mean I won't check NEXT time.
  • Options
    cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was 46, my dog got out of the fence and I went to get him. I had to pick him up and carry him from next door. when I got him home I couldn't breath, no pain just couldn't breath. I went to my doctor
    he did an ekg, and sent me to Birmingham. I had a 98% blockage to the main artery in front of my heart. they were able to open it with a stent, so that saved surgery.
    The Doctor said I was a heart attack waiting to happen. I keep a check (have regular ekg checks)since.
    I'm very saddened we lost him. I am also pissed because he was so stuborn.
  • Options
    Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Was he happy?

NS
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thank you you are so right I was was 49 same issues . passed all test including stress test. ask the Dr to a heart cath? He did not want to, due to risk but did so had 98 99% blockage . next morning I was opened up like a book would not recomend for anyone but I am still here [:D] .Dr was suprized and said I should have never passed all the test . 7 yrs ago dont take a chance life is too short
    they told me and actualy a 20 something yr old guy down the hall from me not uncommom any more to have heart problems