In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Throat Erosion- How? Why?Prevention?Fixes?

Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
Throat Erosion- How? Why? Prevention? Fixes? Educate me!
Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!

Comments

• Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Throat erosion is largely a result of velocity. As such, fast-steppers like the .220 Swift and .22-250 erode throats, whereas it's really the last thing you will ever have to worry about in the .30-30. I believe carbon steel barrels have less of a problem than stainless, but don't quote me. There really isn't a cure, except to ease up on the throttle. If you want to go fast, you have to pay the price. You can set back the barrel and recut the chamber, but obviously there are only so many times you can do this. Eventually, you will have to rebarrel. I also believe large powder area transitioning down to small calibre, e.g. extremely bottlenecked cases (.50 BMG necked down to .22) are particularly guilty in this regard.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe partly,it's erosion from gas, moving faster than the bullet and getting around the bullet as it is exiting the case before the bullet fully fills the rifling, blocking further gas bypass. Barrel throating is larger in diameter than the bullet so it can't block gas at that point.Barrels also wear greatest in the throat area because rifling, impacted by an unengraved bullet, swages in the grooves and starts it rotating. Some 50cal barrels had stellite inserts just forward of the chamber. "Breechbore Gages" were used in M-1 Garands, BARs and all the machineguns to determine serviceability of the barrels.Ruger experienced serious gas erosion of a revolver frame from leakage between cylinder and barrel of a high pressure cartridge.
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 50BMG necked to.224 is also hard on your reloading press,And right arm.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Kinda what I thought without really ever being told, Thanks for the info guys!
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have also heard tell that boattailed bullets wear barrels and throats faster as gas is able to escape past the bullet a bit more. I use cast bullets in a number of guns; lead won't wear a barrel (well maybe a few million rounds might but not in everyday use) and the gas check helps check blow by as well as protecting the bullet base. Plus the low powder charge and velocities are a protection against erosion. Plus lead is cheaper. Plus cast bullets are very accurate.
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.