In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ever have a KaBOOM? (case failure?)

spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
I've been reloading now for awhile & consider myself competent to follow the load manuals & strive to play by the rules of the game.

I even take the time to weigh each charge & look into each case before seating the bullet to make sure I haven't done something stupid.

I'm wondering now about other reloaders' experiences with case failures & what the circumstances were. If you've suffered thru this experience, reloader or not, I'd like to know what the circumstances were & what you discovered about the possible cause.

Last Sunday I had a KaBOOM while load-testing some cartridges I'd made up a few days before, using charges well under the manual's specs for the bullet & caliber I was loading for, .45 ACP. Brass was once-fired nickel-plated Starline, resized & trimmed to specs. Bullets were Hornady HP/XTP 230grain, powder was AA 5 at from 7.6 to 8.0 grains in .1 grain steps, 5 cartridges each. COL 1.230". First 7.9 grain load is the one that failed.
I can account for every bullet I fired so I'm confident none had lodged in the barrel before the round whose case failed. Even the bullet fired with the round that failed hit the paper at 25 yards, though about 6" below & to the right of the others.

Ruined my HK USP Expert (only a month old), ruined my afternoon, ruined my peace of mind. Fortunately it didn't ruin my hand or eyes; I wear glasses all the time anyway & came away with nothing but a stinging finger.

Blast went down thru the in-place magazine, blowing the floorplate to pieces (literally) but the magazine stayed in place. Was shooting off a bench with my hand resting on a sandbag, on top of which I'd placed a white shop rag folded over three or four times into a pad. The burn marks on the rag pad went thru four or five layers of cloth, the HK jumped from my hand when the case failed & the frame split from slide to handle bottom on the right side, facing my palm. The receiver jumped off the slide pins on the left side (rotated clockwise) but stayed on the pins on the right side, jammed tight. Barrel & receiver solidly married by the blown case, no visible cracks to either.

Comments

• Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Biggest oopsy I had was when I used a friends loading eqipment. He bought some kind of new powder and wanted me to try it in my 7mmWTBY mag(this was before the last rebuild). I missread the scale and overcharged 10 g over max. One shot was all it took to realize something was wrong. The case broke off at the belt, cracked the bolt and stock and I got powder burns in the face. Costly boo boo! Max charge was somewhere around 75-80 grains, can't remember exactly but it was a hefty charge and 10+ over max made quite a bang. never did see if I hit the paper.
  • Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear that, but glad it wasn't a Glock! People give em a bad rep for that.

My gun is prettier than yours, and it's a Glock!
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I had a similar problem in a Springfield 45. I had loaded 230 fmj in a remington brass case with 5.8 gr winchester 231 and ww large pistol primer. The case ruptured at the base, and blew the plastic bottom off of a brand new McCormick Powermag magazine. It did'nt damage the gun, and taught me 2 things. Don't use RP brass on hot loads and do use magazines without solid welded bottoms. I don't know what it would have done to the pistol if it had not blown off the floor plate. I also ruptured a 40 s&w case in a Star model 31 using a recommended load from an NRA rifleman article using AA2 and a 135 gr Nosler jhp. I had backed off .2 gr from the load they were using, and made the mistake of trying it without checking in the Accurate loading manual. The load I used was still .5 gr above Accurates recommend maximum load. That taught me to check and double check all possible reference material before you try anything new.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    I've had a few with reloads over the years, all in 9mm. The only problem caused was that it made my plastic one piece grips (S&W 3rd gen) jump over their retaining lips. I just popped the grips off, repositioned them and pressed on. Dirtied up the mag contents pretty good, but no damage done.

The worst part was that it felt like I'd just high fived Mike Tyson.

Edited by - Txs on 04/28/2002 18:21:39
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Nothing fantastic. I've had a few split cases, case necks, even a few case head seperations but all on Mauser or Springfield actions that are well designed to take case failures. Did fire a .32 reload the other day that apparently was a double charge, but it is a new revolver and took it in stride, no damage.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back before I could afford to buy Norma brass for my 7.62x54R M39, I thought I'd be smart and pull the steel core bullets from some ammo and replace them with some lead core bullets of similar weight. Not a smart idea. The first round split the case from the shoulder to the case head. That is the only problem I've ever had, and will be my last. My finger are crossed anyway, and knocking on wood. Thank God for strong actions.

SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had one near disaster. My personal rule is to never shoot someone else's reloads. Well, one evening I broke that rule and was breaking in my wife's new Glock 26. About the 10th or 12th round, there was a blast from the gun that blew the magazine out, fire shot from between both sides of the frame and slide, and the blast went through the trigger slot making my trigger finger feel like it was hit with a sledgehammer. An obvious double or triple charged round. I found the brass in pieces, the base had been blown completely off. To my amazement, the Glock was not damaged. I checked it over carefully and deemed the gun broke in.

I was thankful my wife did not have it in her hand when that round went off.
  • Options
    snocountrysnocountry Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How many of these case failures are in barrels that fail to support the case entirely. When the barrels are ramped to aid in feeding- they are not providing support to the case above the web. I just observed a new sig 220 carry destroyed using ammunition routinely fired in my 1911 Colts. Some of the ammo was old- like 66 RA match ammo and wcc 50 something or other and some reloads with 4.8 bullseye and 230 ball bullets. Careful examination showed total lack of case support forward of the web.. resizing weakens the brass in this area and all 45acp pistols should be examined for this before using any type of old or reloaded ammo in them. Gun companies don't share this info and I could only find one reloading book with this caution (Hodgdon on the 40 cal) Even some new brass will swell in this area when fired in these guns.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Well consider yourself lucky, piss poor day to destroy a gun of that nature, but at least you have the fingers and eyeballs you started with.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    One of my nephews hatched a 1911 with an apparent double-charge. The case head separated, blowing out the magazine contents and the magazine floorplate, and the floorplate actually penetrated the planks he was standing on. The magazine body was blown partway out, the metal rolled up above the magazine catch. The grips were blown off, and so the gun was blown out of his hand. His hand was stung pretty badly. The gun was examined, the magazine and grips were replaced, and the gun continues in service.
  • Options
    DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've still got two boxes of Federal 510's circa 1950's, that split the case on every round.

I don't understand why. I fired a full box, trying to figure it out. They don't appear to be 'hot loads'. To my knowledge, brass does not degrade with age.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brass does degrade with age. Case splitting above the neck is common with old ammunition.
  • Options
    telohftelohf Member Posts: 913 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its interesting that you have had a failure in a .45 auto with AA 5 powder. So have I and it cost me a custom 1911 of about $1000. The case split near the back and blew the barrel and frame to pieces. My load was far from hot and I have reloaded for 20+ years. Sounds like AA 5 needs to be looked into
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:using charges well under the manual's specs for the bullet & caliber I was loading for

how far under?, under charging can be just as dangerous as over charging, it changes the amount of boiler room, and can make pressure slower than min charge normally would, and cause increased pressure then KABOOM, if you chronograph them you will notice an increase in velocity the lower you go, this a a sign of under charged load
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Posted - 04/28/2002 : 2:28:41 PM

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts

Thanks. Now I feel stupid for having almost asked for pics.

Now I feel stupid for having told you how stupid I feel.

When will it end?
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    Anyone else notice that guns made of real metal seem to handle case failures without damage, but PLASTIC guns break?
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    had a fact reload (dbl charge) in a 45acp 30+ years ago, blew the mag into my hand.
    IT SET THE NEXT ROUND OFF THAT WAS IN THE MAG
    (lucky only 1 was left).
    felt like my 44mag when it went off. only damage was to my hand and mag, still shoot the gun with the same barrel every month. SA1911-A1

after that i started reloading my own
  • Options
    bandcollectorbandcollector Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know a guy that loaded some 45 LC much hotter than even +P because he only owned a 454 ruger super redhawk and it could handle it. You already guessed what is coming and your right. He accidentally slipped one of them in a friends colt clone and to the revolvers credit it didn't fly apart but it locked up tight as hell and from the look of it if it is possible to repair it would cost more than a new one.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    Thanks. Now I feel stupid for having almost asked for pics.

Now I feel stupid for having told you how stupid I feel.

When will it end?[:D][:D][:D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    the 9mm nato i just got is loaded hotter than +P, but none of my guns have complained.

quote:Ever have a KaBOOM? (case failure?)

here's a kaboom for ya!

50bmgriflexy6.jpg
  • Options
    bandcollectorbandcollector Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    the 9mm nato i just got is loaded hotter than +P, but none of my guns have complained.

quote:Ever have a KaBOOM? (case failure?)

here's a kaboom for ya!

50bmgriflexy6.jpg

I bet a change of underwear was required
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    KaBOOM no, but I have had cases "split" in the middle of the case....38spl nickel......only. I reload 9mm, 38spl, 357mag, 40S&W, 41mag,44spl, 44mag, 45acp, and 500S&W.......the 38 cases were nickel plated and reloaded at least a dozen times........I did pull a "d-horn" move once and ran 6, 41mag reloads thru my 44mag....couldnt figure out why the shots were all over the place. ...popped the cases out and looked at them...5 were "bloated" and one had split in the middle....so if someone ever asks you if you can run 41mag thru a 44mag...yes it can be done, but it isnt something I would do on purpose...I have ran 1000's of reloads thru my GLOCK 22 and 27 never any issues. reloader44mag
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    I had a 7.62x39 wolf steel case pretty much just fly apart while shooting a romanian ak.

I squeezed the trigger and felt a sting on my cheeck and heard the small peices of case fragments hitting a barn wall about 8 feet away. I didnt put it all together a once, my face was bleeding, and the rifle had jammed. The mangled case was still in the bolt.

I just got a little scatch. But If I had been shooting an SKS I'd probably be eyeless right now.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...In my miss-spent youth, I converted a Rem. Nylon 66 to fire from an open bolt. At the time, I'd never even heard the term "bolt bounce". The case head seperated, warped the sheet metal top cover and I picked bits of brass out of my knuckles and arm. Heck of a way to learn from my mistakes.
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    never had it happen...and from what happened to you, i hope i never do[:(]

i`m glad your ok though...guns can be bought for a lot less than it costs to fix people.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Since my response 7 years ago (!) I have had a true Kaboom- case head split from the rim to the primer on a 91 Carcano.

Broke a few small parts in the gun- firing pin tip, follower spring. Drenched me with gas.

No injuries. No brass stinging me in the face. Nothing.

Gotta love milsurps. Built like tanks, even the crappiest of them.