In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shot some oddballs today, more accurate than I had hope to expect

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
I finally got around to taking the Dutch mannlicher carbine in 6.5X53R and the 8mm Portuguese Kropatschek out today for the first time. Using very dirty 1924 dated ammo, the Kropatschek did fair, hitting about a 5 inch group at 50 yards. I expect it can do much better with better ammo as the bore is near mint. The big surprise though was the Dutch Mannlicher OM 95 Carbine. The outside was covered in a patina of rust when I got it, the bore was nice though. I oiled the gun and I cleaned the bore well and fired 5 rounds today. The first one I was a bit nervous- first shot with an old gun- and it went high. The rest ALL hit a 1/4" group, dead on the bullseye, at 50 yards! All shots were touching! This thing only has about a 14 inch barrel and open sights! And with 1930's surplus ammo! Wow! I'll have to pick up the missing buttplate and bayonet lug now! If anyone knows where I can get these parts, let me know.
"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.

Comments

• Options
    arthur wellingarthur welling Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am ABSO-freaking-LUTELY sure you MEANT to say the barrel on that Manlicher is really short but still OVER 16 inches, the legal limit before it becomes a class III destructive device, and therefor needs a special federal permit to own.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well, I just took a guess on barrel length, but I'm sure you are correct. It hasn't been cut down and is in it's original military length, so everything is ok.
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.