In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old venison meat?

Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Have some OLD venison meat from like.. 2000. My mom was a butcher and cut it all up into steaks, burger, ribs, chops whatever. We got it all.. She said she refuses to cook it for eatin', and dad said he isnt sure but he'd chance it. You guys think since its all wrapped in butcher paper and in paper sacks and what not, it's good for making Jerky? Jake said it would be as long as it isnt freezer burned, and it is not.

Comments

• 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like some good jerky.

Cook up a little of it and taste it to make sure it doesn't taste freezer burned.

The freezer burn wont hurt you as far as I know, it just tastes bad.
  • hooch31Lhooch31L Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not chance eating it. Use it for coyote bait.
  • Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    If it's not freezer burned too badly after that long it must've been in a regular (as opposed to a frost-free) freezer. That's pretty amazing, Jacob.

We've had older meat (a couple of years; deer, antelope, elk) that's had freezer-burned edges. We just cut off the burned areas and it's cooked up fine. Shouldn't have to make jerky out of it if you don't want to, but you'll probably benefit from using a good marinade. For antelope, ya can't beat Lowry's Teriyaki marinade with pineapple juice. It's cheap and damned good!

Koinkydintally, I just had some o' that very same eats off the BBQ tonight - with a few brews on the patio, watchin' the sun go down over the river and the salmonflies swarming to drop eggs into the water, all to tune of Allman Bros. Mmmm-mmm. [:p]
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    it won`t poison you, but it might`nt have much flavour to it after all this time.
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dan kelly
    it won`t poison you, but it might`nt have much flavour to it after all this time.
    Smoke it with apple wood anywho, then dehydrate it probably.

Just looked, bunch of ribs, ground deer, Deer arm? haha.. Uhhh.. some marked chops, some steak, etc. Mom wont cook it so either we have to cook it in the garage on the propane camp stove, or jerky it and tell her its beef [:0] Think im gonna give it a try this week. If im not around for more than two days, Send a search party
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    you could always use it for fertilizer in the garden. put a chunk under each corn start you plant or even trees.

dog food as long as it is a large dog used to eating scraps.

i like the coyote bait idea.....

don?t eat it. it may make you never want venison again but may be a great way to loose weight and nearly die
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you have had deer meat in the freezer for 9 years?, you dont deserve to eat it?[:)]

seriously i wouldn't it, especially would not make jerky, slow heat breeds bacteria, and you would more than likely over cook it try not to under cook it, or just under cook it and get sick
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would NOT use it...Mught turn you against it...nambu
  • gumbydamnitgumbydamnit Member Posts: 793 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can it or cold pack it, even if it is freezer burnt you will not know the difference. Even like you said, make jerky, I had moose meat that got freezer burnt and made jerky out of it and could not tell.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Listen to "MOM"! [:p]
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    Jacob
    You must obtain a special permit to prepare this meat.
    First, you must get a recognized degree from an accredited wild game culinary school.
    If you do not use at least a fifty-year-old olive oil in your marinade, then you are an absolute idiot and not worthy to call yourself a Gunbroker Forum Member.

[:D]

• hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    usally if i find deer meat that old ( Usally when i clean out the deep freeze ) I'll feed it to the dog.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hk-91
    usally if i find deer meat that old ( Usally when i clean out the deep freeze ) I'll feed it to the dog.
    The ribs weigh more than my little 12 pound dog [:D][:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    And for the record, NO I would not KNOWINGLY leave meat that would be a wonderful treat in the freezer for 9 years.
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    Its dog food. If the meat has any fat on it. It will have spoiled.
  • GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have eaten some that old and never had any ill effects.

I ground it into burger, browned it in a fry pan, poured off any grease/moisture and then put in a pot to make chili with some vegetable oil to make up for the lack of fat.

Not a problem if properly trimmed and packaged in the first place.

Of course if it doesn't smell right when thawed, I would not have taken a chance.

But, that is my choice. Probably no worse for you then the injected beef you buy at Walmart. Probably much better.[;)]
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife doesn't like deer, so it's hard for me to use up all I've got. Anyway, I routinely eat meat that old and have never had a problem. Mine is in ziplocks too -- not professionally done. Also, I've moved it twice from VA to AL and back to VA. As Dan Kelly mentioned, it does loose some flavor though. Mostly, I grind it and add seasoning. As with any other meat, just cook it thoroughly and you should be fine.
  • mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck to you and yours is all I can say. There is no way in H E double L that I would eat that meat. If you want some deer that bad then just go kill another one and eat it[}:)], albeit out of season at least it wont kill you( or make you wish you were dead).[xx(] A freezer does NOT preserve meat forever, it just makes it keep from spoiling a LITTLE longer(not 9 years). You would be taking a BIG risk but have fun is all I can tell you.

Mike
  • JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as it's has NOT thawed I would
    just cut off the freezer burned parts and cook
    and enjoy the rest. If it's been frozed
    not thawed and refrozed I don't see how
    it can spoil.
    edited November -1
    Got some rump roast and arm roast out thawing right now. Im gonna chance it [:D]
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    give us a report..How did ya dinner go, did ya chance it J ?[:0]
  • Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GUNFUNCO
    Probably no worse for you then the injected beef you buy at Walmart. Probably much better.[;)]

A big AMEN to that! [:D]
    edited November -1
    this stuff is FROZEN solid. It wont be ready until tomorrow.
  • JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everybody, dinner is at Jacob's tonight.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Johnnylikesguns

Everybody, dinner is at Jacob's tonight.

Got prolly 10 pounds of it out and ready... Its still chilled so it wont spoil, but not being refroze.. If'n I need to I can boil me some taters, throw in some cream and butter, make up some chunky (or smooth) mashed taters, get some corn on the cob, make some homestyle venison gravy, biscuits, the whole 9 yards [:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jacob2008

ya i guess that would be quite a supply of meat for a dog that size and you wouldnt want it eating it very often if its a inside dog. My german sheaperd eats alot of deer scrapes when i'm triming meat for jerky, wifes gets all kinds of pissed of at me for feeding it to her.
    edited November -1

ya i guess that would be quite a supply of meat for a dog that size and you wouldnt want it eating it very often if its a inside dog. My german sheaperd eats alot of deer scrapes when i'm triming meat for jerky, wifes gets all kinds of pissed of at me for feeding it to her.
    Oh, shes only supposed to weigh 8-9 pounds, but she likes her bacon, burger, etc. The older fella who had her before us (He couldnt take care of her any more, they took her to the pound and we got her out within 30 minutes of her being there) fed her dog food, but she would not even EAT her food until everyone was away from the table and put the plates in the sink. Then, she would not eat until you put a little of what you had, IN her food. So, she gets a little bit of fried burger meat if we have any, or we'll put an extra one on the grill to use in her food for a few days. Shes a good pup, stubborn at times, but shes good. Sleeps, walks, plays, bout it. Cant run away from you though.. shes got "asthma" or something. She gets choked up and gasps for air.
    edited November -1

Oh, shes only supposed to weigh 8-9 pounds, but she likes her bacon, burger, etc. The older fella who had her before us (He couldnt take care of her any more, they took her to the pound and we got her out within 30 minutes of her being there) fed her dog food, but she would not even EAT her food until everyone was away from the table and put the plates in the sink. Then, she would not eat until you put a little of what you had, IN her food. So, she gets a little bit of fried burger meat if we have any, or we'll put an extra one on the grill to use in her food for a few days. Shes a good pup, stubborn at times, but shes good. Sleeps, walks, plays, bout it. Cant run away from you though.. shes got "asthma" or something. She gets choked up and gasps for air.

sounds like my moms min pincher, she had to put it on anxiety medicine.
    edited November -1

sounds like my moms min pincher, she had to put it on anxiety medicine.
    She isnt THAT bad, but she does sleep alot [:D]
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Bacteria is killed by freezing, no?

and by cooking.

Might not taste good but if you cook it well I can't see it causing any harm. Have read that some in Siberia have fed their dogs mammoth meat no problem and it has been frozen 10,000 years.