In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun Broker sellers like old time eBay sellers now.

lovethemcoltslovethemcolts Member Posts: 536 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Is it me? Or is sellers here becoming like the old eBay? Witholding feedback?

REAL sellers ALWAYS post positive feedback for their buyers when payment is received.

The only reason a seller would ever hold feedback is to NEG a paying buyer ANYTIME they receive feedback they do not like.

I have considered neging each and EVERY seller that witholds feedback.

I ALWAYS post positive feedback to a paying buyer BEFORE I even ship the gun.

Ship an accurate described gun promptly and a good seller never should fear bad feedback from a paying buyer.

End of story...

Comments

• Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When selling, I see the posted feedback from the buyer as a signal that the transaction is officially concluded and I then post feedback. I don't want to post feedback on the buyer only to have the item returned the next day.

IMO the buyer should post first when he is happy with the item.
  • k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    How dare you post a gun related topic on this forum? [;)][:p][:D][?]
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That isn't the end of that story....by ANY means. Are you buying a gun....or playing around with feedback. If you gave me a negative just because you didn't think I "scored" you quick enough.....you don't want to know how upset I would be. I don't give feedback quickly.....because I could care less about that part of the transaction. I get around to it when I think about it....or better yet...when I'm reminded by someone who cares about those things.

What I do know is that people have lost track of what feedback is all about. The gun you purchased arrived quickly and was as advertised.....THEN SOME NUT thinks I should get a negative feedback because I didn't handle the unimportant nonsense quickly enough for them.

Its fine to watch your feedback. Its great that people are careful and like to check these things.....but if you are buying a gun and get what you paid for...that is enough.

Oh....one more thing you might not realize. Feedback left is not "over" once it is posted. You can go back and change what you left....change comments....and that option is available for a long, long time.

(This is a bit of a peeve of mine....sorry if I seem a little overboard.)
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Below is what I've had posted on my ME page on eBay for several years. When I sell something, the customer has fulfilled his obligation and is deserving of his feedback.

ADDENDUM: I would like to add a few thoughts about eBay's feedback system. I believe in it. As a seller, if a person sends me their good money in a timely fashion, I give them their deserved feedback upon receipt or when I ship. E-trading should be no different than having a retail establishment, which sadly, far too many of these so-called sellers don't have. When I hand a receipt or change to a person, a verbal "Thank you" is automatic. I hold in contempt sellers I deal with on eBay that request good feedback when I receive their merchandise although they have not left me any. Seems like they are scared that something they have sold to me is not what was listed. Nobody is so big or has enough feedback points that they cannot do the E-equivelent of a simple "Thank you". 'Nuff said.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agreed you got the money my end is done feedback is due, and Locust if feedback meant nothing try selling with a bunch of negatives. As a Buyer I want feedback when you got my money and cashed it good. As a seller I want positive feedback when you get your item and it is as described or better that is like saying a tip goes in the mail rather then given to the kid serving you
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Saxon Pig all the way ..
  • IronrifleIronrifle Member Posts: 664
    edited November -1
    I`ve received zero feedback from my last three transactions on GB, and yes, I left postive feedback on all of them.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Lf if the feedback system were so worthless or useless, there wouldn't be one.

I would be one of those buyers to leave you a less than perfect feedback score.

When my money is in YOUR hands, my job is done. I deserve appropriate feedback. Like you said, feedback CAN be changed.

If you don't "get it" then you have no sense of business then.
  • breddyrrtbreddyrrt Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Locust,
    That is the typical "gun store" mentality.
    Is there a course you guys take on how to be an *?
    I see this all the time at local gun stores, and they wonder why you don't buy.
    Feedback is important to me as a buyer and seller.
    Brian
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im a gun shop guy and I leave feedback on everything I sell .. We arent all bad....
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Feedback is only important for noobs, IMO.
    Once you have bought/sold a few things and have a good record I am comfortable dealing with you.

However, I do not give feedback for buying or selling unless the other person thinks it is important and I will gladly respond to the same feedback given to me. I only respond to feedback.

I have never in 8 years received a negative feedback but a couple times the old give me a partial refund for something very out of line on an as is item made me happy I did not give feedback quickly.
    I have had people insist I give them feedback first and I simply suggest forgetting the feedback altogether.
    Don't want me to respond to your feedback???
    Sorry, either feedback first or get used to no feedback.

There is no rule saying feedback must be given and I have never gone against my word and will make sure i will not be black mailed over feedback.

Once my eBay account was closed down because someone hijacked it. They did not even try to steal money from PayPal they just hijacked my eBay name and advertised a bunch of cars obviously intending to sell them by collecting the money and having irate buyers then contact me looking for their cars which I had nothing to do with.
    eBay caught it before they sold one so no harm but imagine my surprise when someone wanted to steal my good name!!!!

The surprise was I had a good name!!! LOL
    Beware of having a good name!!!!!!!!

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Lf if the feedback system were so worthless or useless, there wouldn't be one.

I would be one of those buyers to leave you a less than perfect feedback score.

When my money is in YOUR hands, my job is done. I deserve appropriate feedback. Like you said, feedback CAN be changed.

If you don't "get it" then you have no sense of business then.

That is the way it should be handled. As a buyer, I am not leaving feedback until I get my feedback for the payment first. If I never get the feedback, I will never leave theirs.

Jon
    edited November -1
    People have completely lost ANY and ALL idea of what the feedback system is for.

Did you get your item?

Did it arrive in a decent amount of time?

This whole idea that someone could leave me a negative feedback just because I didn't POST A SILLY FEEDBACK when I got payment is a big bunch of crap. That is when I just want the whole stinking feedback system to GO AWAY. I had some moron leave me a neg. because "he paid too much for the Colt that he recieved" .....this is a PENNY AUCTION...with NO RESERVE...that had THIRTY PICTURES!!!!

If we are going to have feedback AT ALL it needs to have limitations.....ones that pertain to the transaction ONLY. Did you get the item you paid for? Did you get it quickly? Enough.....

I'd be happy if you could see how many people have simply bought from me. If every buyer showed up....even the ones that left NO FEEDBACK...you would see that I have many many more sales than it shows right now......

AND .....that a good many of the people who have purchased from me have come back and bought again. That is my goal. People to buy from me with confidence that is only achieved by treating people right and doing a good job. Not by some silly grading system.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...I don't see much, if any change, sellers have pretty much always waited to see "what" FB they recieve, that, is where the FB system is flawed; but, it's what we have.

...As a seller, once I recieve funds that clear, the buyer has done his part and it's time to leave the FB; as a buyer, once I recieve the item, it's time to leave the FB.

...Far too many sellers want to wait and see the FB they recieve from the buyer, pretty much holding the buyer hostage, it's played that way all the time...one reason I read the FB instead of just going by the "number" of neg/positives.

...The recent change to blocking the bidders names has stopped me from bidding...it's kinda like the Govt. "protecting" me for my own good, but that's their choice and I have the choice not to bid any longer...shame, I enjoyed buying here...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've only bought on EBay and here, so I don't have a seller's point of view on this. I've always viewed the "you go first" feedback posting of the buyer to be the seller's somewhat subtle way of "encouraging" favorable feedback from a buyer on the seller and the transaction.

Personally, I can tell alot from the type of negative feedback that's posted. If a buyer posts factual negative feedback and it's answered by an outlandish attack on their parentage, family life or some such thing then as buyer I stay far away from that seller.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sellers holding feedback hostage to the buyer is lousy! It is the sign of an honest seller that leaves feedback when payment is recieved.
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have bought on ebay and have only left 1 neutral feedback, I explained to seller why i left it. She shipped to wrong addy which was my old addy after i verified new addy. 1 week went by no package. Called she said it was shipped to my po box. I had to track it down. Other then her shipping mistake i had no problem with buying from her. She has never left me any feed back
    edited November -1
    I see the "holding feedback until I get a good mark" as being kind of slimey......but I'm telling you guys it is very different with me.

I don't think about feedback. It isn't one little part of what goes through my mind when I'm selling an item. If a NR buyer wants to bid on my gun that is selling for thousands of dollars....fine. When I get money...and an FFL....all I think about is getting the gun to the buyer and I can't wait to hear that they got it safely and they are happy. I don't look at feedback to learn these things.....I check my e-mail. That is all I ever do. Sometimes I get a reminder...."could you leave me feedback?" That is when I just go to the bulk feedback page and leave all of them that are pending. Sometimes I think about it....but not usually. The actual transaction is what I am concerned with.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I leave feedback when the buyers payment clears my bank when operating as a seller.

That is simply the way I am.
    No problems so far![;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • lovethemcoltslovethemcolts Member Posts: 536 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you everyone for your comments about feedback.

I still feel that a seller holds a buyer hostage by holding feedback after a buyer has paid.

Good night and happy bidding!
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ladyhunter
    I have bought on ebay and have only left 1 neutral feedback, I explained to seller why i left it. She shipped to wrong addy which was my old addy after i verified new addy. 1 week went by no package. Called she said it was shipped to my po box. I had to track it down. Other then her shipping mistake i had no problem with buying from her. She has never left me any feed back

Pardon me, but how could it be HER fault for shipping to an address that YOU left somewhere as your shipping address?
  • oldgunmanoldgunman Member Posts: 1,779 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't make feedback your main concern. Yes everyone wants good feed back whether buying or selling. Sometimes many are very busy and have to catch up sometimes a little later. Unless there's some real problems going on then don't panic about the feedback. FIRST try to work out any problems directly with the buyer or seller. My biggest tip I've learned over the years from buying or selling is PATIENCE. Just my 2cents.[:)] Best advice and most important: good pictures, good description, don't describe product better than it is,speedy payment, excellent wrapping, speedy shipment, etc. --Feedback can be caught up on down the road but is not of the importance of the main DEAL.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I once gave a seller an "A" for delivering the item as described, but being rather slow (in my estimation) in shipping it.

He responded by giving me an F.

We had to argue long and hard before he agreed that we'd just remove the feedback and neither of us say anything.

Yes, his feedback score was that important to him that an A bothered him.

I generally post feedback within a few days of shipping for sales or a few days of getting the item when buying. Sometimes I forget. If someone reminds me I'm happy to correct the oversight. But just as I don't give a store owner feedback every time I buy (Hey, Bob, a really great sale! Master that you are punching up the cash register. A+... stupid right?), same deal- I'll give you feedback if you want it, or if I think of it, but it isn't that important to me.