In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Are the fleas bad in your area.....?

bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
Didn't want to hijack the tick thread.

Fleas have been bad here this year. I guess all the rain we have been having has helped bring the little critters out.

Been using Frontline on the dog and cat. The dog is the only one that goes outside. Saw a few on her after a walk in the back yard last week. I came in one afternoon and a small one was crawling on my arm.

Sprayed the yard yesterday. Should kill them, it did last year.
I was thinking about making a spray boom to go on the back of my little mower trailer. I have a 24 gallon sprayer from Northern Equipment. Yesterday I remembered why I didn't make one last year. I can cover more area, faster, and get in close places better with the spray wand than a boom. Oh well, at least I saved myself a little money. Glad I didn't make the boom before I sprayed.

Comments

• Options
    barbwiredbarbwired Member Posts: 8,254
    edited November -1
    We had a chilly winter here don't know if that killed them or not, haven't seen any on my dog or me and we stay outside a lot.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Haven't seen any fleas.
    Mosquitos are off the hook.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    Nope.

...A hot and dry location is the top vacation destination for fleas usually.

AFTER you poison, buy some of the granulated Sulphur and put out.

GRANULATED, not the powdered.

The Sulphur doesn't kill them but fleas along with a LOT of other bugs can't stand the stuff, generally vacate the area and stay out.

The granulated Sulphur is easy to spread, inexpensive and lasts a l-o-n-g time, a side benefit with the slow release is that it helps green the grass but...if you dump a pile of it in one area, literally a "pile" it will kill the grass, so just spread evenly and you're good to go...[;)]
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bama55
    Are the fleas bad in your area.....?

Not since I got a new collar...
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Bad in this area...vets are saying to do animals once every 3 weeks..
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep. My poor old mutt is suffering. I keep treating him, the yard, and the house and it does not seem to do much good.[:(]
  • Options
    MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    Bayer just seems to make a superior product, Kiltix collar is good. I've used various brands, always seen to come back to the Bayer products when the others don't work well enough. I've got Frontline and Kiltix collars on my dogs now. The frontline just didn't seem to get the job done by itself, the dogs were still getting a lot of Ticks.

Most of my Fleas and Ticks are brought in by vectors, Hedgehogs are really bad, mice are a close second. I keep the vectors under control and the Flea collars do the rest. I box up the Hedgehogs and relocate them.

Fleas have been tolerable around here, the Ticks were really bad last month (lots of rain), seem to be getting fewer now.

They say if you spray the yard, start from the house and work your way out. Ticks especially will vacate the area if there is insecticide around, you sure don't want to herd them towards the house.
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no . just * ants
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    Also on Tweek, the Border Collie, use Frontline Flea & Tick wahtever, religously...every 30 days along with her heartworm stuff.

Never a flea and no heartworms, and we have her blood pulled at her yearly shot time, though if you religously use the good heartworm stuff, vet says it's highly unlikely to contract heartworms and a yearly blood work is not really neccessary, makes me feel better though.[:D]

Only the vet stuff, never found a OTC treatment that wasnt a waste of money...OR worth taking the chance she would get something deadly thats preventable just to save a few bucks...[;)]
  • Options
    leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had alot of fleas and ticks here since Spring. I sprayed Sevin on the yard, seemed to get rid of the ticks, but I'm still fighting fleas.
    We have a farm supply store near here that sells Frontline spray, it's about $30 for a small bottle. They've been sold out for almost 3 weeks now.
  • Options
    Jayhawk2218Jayhawk2218 Member Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the dog you should look into Comfortis. It's the best stuff on the market. It comes as a pill, and it doesn't wear or wash off like Frontline or similar products. For the yard the best thing would be to call a pest control company.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Which area?
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Not so bad, no. We regularly comb the cat, might get 1 or 2 off him a week.

You know it is bad when you wake up with flea bights all along your underwear band and on your ankles. We had one year like that too.