In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1911 grips

BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Based on the reply that I got on my other thread, I thought that I would put it out there for the members to post pics of their different 1911 grips to hopefully inspire me. I promise that I won't copy anybody's design, just take inspiration. I am looking at getting ivory, so if you have ivory grips, even better.

quote:Originally posted by buschmaster
quote:Originally posted by callcameron
Originally posted by buschmaster
scrimshaw instead of diamond, but it would have to be damn good art, and you don't usually get that with scrimshaw as a medium. in my opinion. otherwise leave it plain. it would be a shame to wreck what's no longer in supply. on the other hand, if someone else had it, what would they do to it. eh, put some scrimshaw on it and do your best.

Any suggestion as to a design if I decide to get it scrimshawed?

Comments

• BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    A big THANK YOU goes out to "gun runner" for the
    Pachmayr grips (1911).

Now,since I have the grips and no 1911(but that has been on my wish list for a while now.),I'm seriously looking.I'm not gonna(can't)go out and spend a thousand bucks on one.What I need to know is,what should I look for in the $500 range(or less) that's worth the money(or is there such a thing)? I'm not thinking "new" here,but maybe that would be the way to go if there's something in that price range that any of you have experience with and find to be reliable.Simply put,what brands should I stay AWAY from?All advice is appreciated.

BW(The self-proclaimed 1911 dummy)

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
    edited November -1
    If i put some of those black grips, with the ivory Punisher skull on my 1911, do you think it will look cheesy? I really like these grips, or these Ivory ones with the black punisher skull.
    edited November -1
    happy new year!!!!. does anyone know of a company, or anyone that makes 1911 grips out of english walnut, thanks in advance.
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Just got my 1st 1911 (Taurus PT1911.) It's great in case you were wondering, and it was priced right.

Anyway, I'm looking for some new grips for it to spice up its appearance. I like the Springfield Armory Cocobolo grips, but any wood grips with a nice deep red brownish red would work. I'm looking for something reasonably priced and that looks good. Suggestions?
  • edited November -1
    What do you think? I have about $30 in these including the cost of the 1911 Barber dimes. [img][/img]20190216_163551_zpsvwm6g2z3.jpg
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New ... Springfield and Charles Daly have models for under $500

Used ... Colt 1911A1's, Springfield, Daly, etc.

Stay away from ... Dan Wesson and any/all clone copies that come from companies no one has ever heard of.

Some say the Norico copy is good, but I have no first hand knowledge of them.

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I'd agree with Contender Man.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I would look for a used Kimber or Springfield made before they added new safety systems.
  • prangleprangle Member Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stainless MK4 Colt running out in 20 minutes on that other auction site.Superpawn owned
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    As stated in a previous post, I don't have a problem with the Dan Wessons. I do have a problem with the quality control on the components (including the steel) of the Charle Dalys that are made in the Philipines.

In one batch of 5 Daly's:
    1. 5 rounds main spring broken
    2. 1000+ rounds and no problem
    3. 500 rounds Barrel link holes in frame elongated
    4. In operable safety out of the box
    5. Failure to extract/feed out of the box.

In my opinion Daly (KBI) puts their emphasis on appearance and not on function. You might get a good one, might not, kind of like Century. Further all dealings with KBI (the importer) customer service have been less than favorable.

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY<P>