In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How to Keep someone off your property

deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
How do you legaly Keep someone Off your property Based on him being a "Potential threat",I have someone that comes to the property
and i want him Off for good BEFORE it turnes into trouble, i know where its heading and i can not afford to have any problems right now.
any advice would help us out right now.

use_deer.jpg

Comments

• jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Restraining order...

a hanky, a clean knife, and a gun...

Got a friend in MD who asked point-blank if he can shoot a tresspasser (drug dealings on the property). No, but depending on his morality, maybe, but not legally.

I got friends...Sticks and Ashie...Dey woik out all the problems before they become problems...$20K, small bills...
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be visible when you shoot (and always staple up your best targets) and always be armed, maybe the person will perceive a threat from you and steer clear.

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    When a teen, my "girl" and i were swimming in a water hole on farmland...
    Repeated shots, maybe a .22 rifle (this was 1979) shur skooked us, and we high-tailed it out of there.
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Get this sign....

no_tresspassing.jpg

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Do the restraining order.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shooting at somebody who has done nothing beyond trespassing will probably end up getting you in trouble with the law. Post your land, notify the police of the problem, and try to have the person prosecuted if they continue trespassing. If you know who it is already maybe the police can send someone by to have a talk with them. That may scare them enough to keep 'em out.
  • beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by jpwolf
    Get this sign....

no_tresspassing.jpg

That sign is cute but it is a sure invitation to a lawsuit against the property owner. It would be used as evidence of a premeditated shooting. You cannot legally shoot a person for trespassing on your land, only if they present an immediate threat to you or someone else. DBV's advice above is good. As for me, if they kept coming on my property I'd sue them and it at least cost them a lot in attorney fees.

Bruce
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf
    Get this sign....

no_tresspassing.jpg

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.

The Delta Force compound, down at Ft. Bragg used to have a very similar sign posted on it's fences...and I can guarantee you, it was no joke[;)]

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There used to be a private hunt club around here that was posted with signs that said "Private archery range, enter at your own risk". They NEVER had a tresspass problem.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Simply send the party a letter stating they are on notice not to come on your property." You ( name ) are hereby notified ( date ) not to come on property ( address ). If they appear, call the Police and show letter. They have committed trespass and are subject to arrest. Usually the law will talk to the party one time and tell them that they will be arrested the next time.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not sure anything really works...only real rights a private property owner seems to have here in ks is to pay the taxes....it has become a real problem as numerous "hunting guides" have sprung up....seen many times where guide dumps them out with cell phone & says will pick you up a certain time 3 miles north of here...one around here made app $120k last year on deer alone then there is pheasant & turkey...known as the biggest trespasser/poacher in area....
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    post your land he cant come onto posted land in new york without going to jail

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • 925925 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a banjo and learn to play.
  • kenneth and melissakenneth and melissa Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I once seen a post like this on another site where we later found out the trespasser was a kid cutting through the mans yard on the way to school. Why are they trespassing? Have you asked them to stay off your property? I think if you have asked them to stay off and they ignore your wishes, i think doug wilson gave good advice.[:D]quote:Originally posted by deerhntr
    How do you legaly Keep someone Off your property Based on him being a "Potential threat",I have someone that comes to the property
    and i want him Off for good BEFORE it turnes into trouble, i know where its heading and i can not afford to have any problems right now.
    any advice would help us out right now.

use_deer.jpg

Thomas Jefferson, of Virginia:
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
  • tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Move that dirt to................

TEXAS

Nuf said.

Tideman
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    I thought the sign was amusing, and could still be an effective deterrant to trespassers. It came to me in an email of funny and unusual signs.

• alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    Act nuts like my neighbor"crack head joe"! That usually keeps everyone off his property!

Gun_smokes.gif

Delta.gif
  • ToolbabeToolbabe Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    select fire wa right and get the law on your side ...be a pain in the back side of the law if they get a call and I mean a call each and every time and you make a fuss.......squeaky wheel gets the grease.....[;)]

with our neighbor getting on my last nerve ....the cops are already sick of me calling and they said they were gonna take him to church, I have rights and will use them.....with so little coverage in this area they really want him to keep away from us and will help him understand

ps make sure signs are new and in good shape and posted close together.

Master mess sargent RRG
    Flying-witch18.gif
    Oh my God! is the beginning of a prayer, not a one liner!
    We come into this life with nothing, everything after this is our treasure
  • magmag Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If he is hunting on your property you should also call the local game warden as they will issue a citation way quicker than the police { at least in GA anyway }. Might get his gun confiscated also [B)]

Jerks that have no respect for the property of others are scum.

mag
  • redrebelredrebel Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Land mines, oops you said legal. [}:)]

powder_solvent.JPG

Oh Hoppe's No. 9 you are so fine.

I need to get me some more of those bullet propulsion devices.

One shot, one kill, 29 more for the thrill.
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    I one posted some signs that said

No trespassing, Violators
    ..........WILL.........
    be prosecuted and/or sexually
    .......NEUTERED.......

Never had any more problems, but then again everyone thought I was certifiably crazy and didn't want to find out for sure.

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY<P>