In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

This guy likes Marines

will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
[A speech by Rear Admiral J. Stark, USN, President of the Naval War College, made in Newport, RI] The first reason I like Marines: They set high standards for themselves and those around them, and will accept nothing less. I like the way Marines march. I like the way Marines do their basic training whether it's Quantico, Parris Island, or San Diego. I like the idea that Marines cultivate an ethos conductive of producing hard people in a soft age. I like the fact that Marines stay in shape. I like the fact that the Marines only have one boss - the Commandant. And I like the directness of the Commandant. I like the fact that Marines are stubborn. I like the way Marines obey orders. I like the way Marines make the most of the press. I like the wholehearted professionalism of the Marines. It occurred to me that the services could be characterized by different breeds of dogs. The Air Force reminded me of a French Poodle. The poodle always looks perfect... sometimes a bit pampered and always travels first class. But don't ever forget that the poodle was bred as a hunting dog and in a fight it's very dangerous. The Army is kind of like a St. Bernard. It's big and heavy and sometimes seems a bit clumsy. But it's very powerful and has lots of stamina. So you want it for the long haul. The Navy, God bless us, is a Golden Retriever. They're good natured and great around the house. The kids love' em. Sometimes their hair is a bit long.... they go wandering off for long periods of time, and they love water. Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat. That sounds like a Marine to me! So what I really like about Marines is that first to fight isn't just a motto, it's a way of life. From the day they were formed at Tun Tavern 221 years ago, Marines have distinguished themselves on battlefields around the world. From the fighting tops of the Bonhomme Richard, to the sands of Barbary coast, from the swamps of New Orleans to the halls of Montezuma, from Belleau Wood, to the Argone Forest, to Guadalcanal, and Iwo Jima, and Okinawa and Inchon, and Chosin Reservoir and Hue City and Quang Tri and Dong Ha, and Beirut, and Grenada, and Panama, and Somalia and Bosnia and a thousand unnamed battlefields in godforsaken corners of the globe. Marines have distinguished themselves by their bravery, and stubbornness and aggressive spirit, and sacrifice, and love of country, and loyalty to one another. They've done it for you and me, and this country we all love so dearly. They asked for nothing more than the honor of being a United States Marine. That's why I like Marines.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, take it to a mechanic. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~

Comments

• alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Marines, too and I'm retired Air Force. Poodle's, as it turns out, are the smartest of all the breeds, too. Maybe that's why we fly high.Clouder..
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    When the President dials 911. The United States Marine Corp Picks up the phone.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Gerald Ford had given away the priveledge of being able to call up the Marines on an ststants notice. That was until the Kmer Rouge had hijacked the Mayaguez and took the crew to Koh Tang Island. And who do you think were the first he went looking for? This Admiral has good taste.
    AlleninAlaska
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Gerald Ford had given away the priveledge of being able to call up the Marines on an instants notice. That was until the Kmer Rouge had hijacked the Mayaguez and took the crew to Koh Tang Island. And who do you think were the first he went looking for? This Admiral has good taste.
    AlleninAlaska
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This man is an admiral, hmm... something tells me he's about to ask someone a BIG favor.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC[This message has been edited by robsguns (edited 02-14-2002).]
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SSGT Ryan.....nah....the President of the War College is the most bullet proof guy in the Navy. He lives in a mansion overlooking Narragansett Bay and pretends to be a college President with all of the social obligations that go with it. He always retires after this tour because he knows there are no more promotions for him He doesn't owe anything to anyone....he's calling it the way he sees it! BeachP.S. He was probably a gator sailor!![This message has been edited by beachmaster73 (edited 02-14-2002).]
  • will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Gotta be a gator sailor!
  • badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRAAAHHH and Semper Fi!!!! When it absolutely must be destroyed over night----USMC
    PC=BS[This message has been edited by badboybob (edited 02-14-2002).]
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regardless of the Admiral's sentiments, the US has the best 'dogs' in the world, no matter the breed & I, as someone who was not allowed to serve, am deeply appreciative to those who did and are.
  • will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    I was wonderin' why I hadn't heard any words of motivation from ol' triple B, now there he is!
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, take it to a mechanic. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • ifishbajaifishbaja Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am so glad to see all of these people on this board now like Marines. It seems that when I talked up the Corps a good while back, no one else got on board. I am glad to see things are finally straightened out around here.
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I doff my hat to all who are serving or have served my country.
  • DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off Semper Fi.Second The whole services being like "dogs" is from Carlos Hathcock! (the great One).Check out any of his tribute websites.Third typical squid, jumping on the wagon.(just kidding Navy guys/gals)