In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

LASIK Recovery

drawndrawn Member Posts: 544
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Well I'm typing without my glasses. Vision is still a little foggy but the doc says all the side effects will fade in time. My vision is currently a little better than 20/30 which she says may improve as well. The procedure was a little toe curling but not really painfull. I'm going to work in the AM, The doc gave me a cert for my drivers license lifting the glasses restriction.I turned the contrast on the PC down 50% something I should have done a long time ago no real need for this screen to be so damm bright.

Comments

• Options
    DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've known a few people that have temporarily turned down the screen resolution a step or two after getting lasik, like from 800x600 to 640x480, etc. If you are already at 640x480 and are still having a hard time with the monitor (and you have a default Windows install), you can set special settings through start/programs/accessories/accessibility or start/settings/control panel/accessibility options
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The contrast is done right on the monitor itself their all different but just like your TV. What darkStar is talking about is pixel size my ability to read small print is great maybe even better than with my glasses but the eye's are light sensitive so I dimmed the old bulb in the monitor with (on my PC) the bottons directly under the screen on the monitor itself and thought it may add some comfort to those in front of your screen for long periods of time.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shame to waste such a good excuse to take a few days off. They aren't making you wear googles over your eyes for a few days? That makes it a little hard to drive. I did just one eye at a time three months apart & that was a very difficult adjustment period. I thought it must have looked odd with just one lens in my glasses but oddly almost no one noticed. Did you notice the smell of burning flesh I mentioned?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well fortunatly I like my job and today is just AM meeting and prep some equipment at my shop. I have to wear grey anti UV glasses by day and tape on eye sheilds at night. Absolutly no touching the eye while the * cut in my cornia heals which is 5 day's. Yes the smell of burning cornia. My bio mom got to watch on a big screen what the doctor saw threw the microscope.
  • Options
    michael minarikmichael minarik Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About how old are you? What maladies did your eyes have? What was corrected or not corrected. Were you advised about what to expect in your vision next year or 5 years from now...I am 54 been considering such. thanks for your help in this..mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    40, Farsighted, My contact RX was 4.25L and 4.50R, Vision corrected to better than 20/30, 6% of patients experience some problems all of which my doc has been able to fix in a procedure she called inhancments, This 1 year inhancment coverage is not covered by cheap procedures. My doc say's no glasses for 10-20 years. This surgery does not stop father time. I suggest finding the top 3 Lasik surgens in your area visit them all, let them know your visiting the others and then decide.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Michael --I'm 52. I had the surgery done back when they were still using little knives. I could easily go in and have some touch-ups done now (those "enhancements" he mentioned). I was told at the start (15 years ago) that while the surgery does create tiny scars, everything we know about the human body is that once a scar heals, it is stable from then on. I am example of a long-term success in that regard. My current ophthalmologist gives me reading glasses and computer working glasses and has offered to do more minor correction if and when I'm ready. You are not too old.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was 60, vision was about 20/650 & I have diabetes. That was about 1&1/2 yrs ago & my vision seems stablized at about 20/30.My nephew had the radial kerototamy several years ago & when he applied for a job as a security guard they turned him down claiming that he had a greater than normal risk ofserious injury in the event of trauma to his eyes.There is now a procedeure called no-cut Lasikyou might want to investigate.
  • Options
    edited November -1