In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Iron Sights

drawndrawn Member Posts: 544
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
While at the range I found out I did a lousy in a hurry job reinstalling the scope on my M1A and decided that it was time to play with the iron sights for the first time. 300 rounds later I decided I may not put that scope back on. It's a standard M1A and I couldnt believe how accurate the iron sights were at 200 yards. Now I understand why most long range shooting is done without a scope.

Comments

• drawndrawn Member Posts: 544
    edited November -1
    your favorite?

I just tried some
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For those with good eyesight, M1's and M1A's are incredibly accurate with standard sights.
  • jdb123jdb123 Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes about the m1 sights, i never understood why anyone who isnt hunting{chances of ethical kill better with scope of course}and has at least average eyesight would want to put a scope on a rifle-look almost anyone can shoot with a scope, use the iron sights its more difficult and more rewarding.
  • altosaltos Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would agree with your assessment of the iron sites on an M1A. I am a bit baffled by it, but am continually amazed that a very average shooter (like myself) can hold 4-5 inches at 100 yards for 20 rounds with iron sites. 90% of the large bores shot at the range I go to use scopes @100 yards. Very nice groups. Yes, people look at other peoples targets. And while I admire their 1-2 inch groupings, they offer a somewhat condescending "nice shooting" to my 4-5 inch groups. I mention that my scope is on order and they look at me and say "oh...". Yes, my "special" scope will arrive some day... after a 6-9 month backlog from SA, but I am wondering if I should a: cancel the order and stay with iron or b: cancel the order and get a "better" scope. Regardless, I have found M1A iron sites to be more that adequate and a pleasant surprise.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are going with a scope, I'd cancel the order and go with something that doesn't bear the SA name.
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's a scope...uhh..wait..I do have one!! Haven't used it, though.
  • RUGERNUT3RUGERNUT3 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drawn.....not up close with the M1A, so not sure this is possible...see-thru mounts give you the ability of being able to get "target acquisition", on an animal using iron sights or to squeeze off that perfect shot using the scope. Years ago after missing the oppurtunity for a good clean shot on deer that "surprised" me because they were too close to find in a scope...I put see-thru mounts on a couple of rifles. For my 3 main deer hunting rifles...I also decided to go with "fixed" 4x on 2...the .300wthby. I put on a 2x14. If you just target shoot..I think the M1A is one of the cleanist,coolist looking "military" style rifles ever made...without the scope.
    "ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE!
    edited November -1
    Rugernut, I will try the see through rings, A friend of mine has them on his mod336 30-30. I'll see if I can borrow them.
  • altosaltos Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    idsman (or others),Any suggestions on an SA alternative that is "moderately" priced. ARMS mounts are $175 or so but well liked (apparently). Assuming a semi-permanent mount for target shooting @100-200 yards... any suggestions for a mount/ring/scope set-up ? Anyone with a suggestion ???
  • varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    altos.I am a big Burris fan,Have five.All five replaced Leupolds.Pick what you wont, But please dont pick SA.Why spend money for a migraine?.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
    edited November -1
    I only paid 125.00 installed for my ARMS mount, part of the deal when I bought the M1A