In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

This is my Rep's response.............

BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
April 5, 2002Dear Mr. Burch:Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to pendinglegislation aimed at closing the gun show loophole. I believe that anylegislation to close the gun show loophole is a step in the rightdirection.While I am committed to protecting Second Amendment rights, I believe youwould agree with my long-standing conviction that we must keep guns out ofthe hands of criminals. I believe that our first step in preventingfurther criminal gun violence should be stricter enforcement ofresponsible gun laws, like the Brady Bill and the Assault Weapons Ban. Ialso believe that this current legislation would advance this objective.Moreover, it would not hinder the recreational use and collection of gunsfor hunting, sport, and other activities by law-abiding Washingtonians.The second highest source of guns used in crimes and recovered by lawenforcement are those purchased at gun shows. Felons and other convictedcriminals often seek to purchase guns at shows in order to avoid thebackground check they would face in a store. If enacted, this legislationwould close this loophole in the law by requiring that federally licensedgun show dealers conduct Brady background checks on all buyers using theNational Instant Check System (NICS).You can be assured that gun shows will not be forced out of business byrequiring background checks. Seventy-two percent of all background checksare completed within two minutes, and 95% within two hours. The remaining5% that take longer are 20 times more likely to uncover a felon. Further,facts show that whether a state requires background checks at gun showsseems to have no influence on how many gun shows are offered in thatstate. In 2001, an average of 22 gun shows are scheduled in states thatrequire background checks, compared with 24 in states that do not requirechecks.Again, thank you for contacting me on this important issue. Please do nothesitate to contact me again on this or any other issue.Sincerely,Maria CantwellUnited States SenatorAnd my response......Maria Cantwell,Thank you for selling out my 2nd amendment. What part of "shall not beinfringed" do you not understand? When will you people stop withrestrictions on law abiding people? You have yet to make a law that thecriminals will obey. There is NO loophole. You have the information that theBrady's want you to believe, but ignore all of the other studies showingdifferent results that do not fit your agenda. Can you tell that I will notvote for you - or any other Political figure who believes they know betterthan our Founding Fathers. Thanks again.William Burch(I tried to be reasonable with facts in the first letter)
IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Oh - btw - I have not received responses from the other rep and senator - all 3 Dem.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    How much did that liberal piece of * spend to get elected? Something like 50 million of her own money? Some people want to be in charge really bad, don't they?"...while I'm committed to protecting Second Amendment rights...legislation would not hinder...firearms for hunting and other sporting purposes..."The hose bag has probably never even read the Second Amendment. Show me ONE liberal who is honestly "committed to protecting Second Amendment rights." You say Patty "the mom in tennis shoes" Murray didn't even respond? That figures. She's probably still trying to get the Klinton stains off her Sunday dress.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    mcneely77mcneely77 Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blue Tic,Tell her to read this months issue of Outdoor life. In the Gun Talk section they tell you of a government survey (The only one) surveying 18,000 criminals that used guns and less than 1 percent got them from gun shows. O.7% to be exact. I posted it on here the other day. Ignoratnt people irritate me. Are we even more ignorant for electing them?
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Nobody from Washington State who hangs out on this board elected them, that's fer damn sure.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At least Cantwell writes back. I've never heard from any of the other roaches when I write them.I might be moving to Idaho...this place is getting out of hand.
    Stand And Be Counted
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny how every anti-gun politician says that they believe in the second amendment.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo they really do believe in the Second Ammendment - they believe it should be abolished.
  • Options
    etc12819etc12819 Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would sure be interesting to find out exactly where she got her "statistics". 100% of my NICS transactions have been delayed, most have been approved by the next day, and all by 24hrs. She is so full of it and getting fuller the longer she is in office.
  • Options
    remrocremroc Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Senator Cantwell is confused. The laws in a gun show are the same as the laws outside of a gun show. There is no gun show loophole! A FFL dealer has to conduct background checks whether he (or she) is at the store or at a gun show. Since it against the law to be a dealer without a FFL that only leaves private transactions that go without a check at a gun show, at home or on the street. A private party can not get a check even if they would like to. The newspapers that rant about the "loophole" allow ads for private sales. At least that is the way it is in Arizona.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah MCNEELY - I used those stats in my first letter, actually my wife read it to me the other night out of OUTDOOR LIFE. I do believe WA has some of the best gunshows and we already have background checks done on the members of WAC, Washington arms collecters (sellers and buyers) every year. We are not allowed to sell to anybody who is not a member or out of state. I also included this in my letter. How do I put this - Our Gov. Reps SUCK.
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)[This message has been edited by BlueTic (edited 04-08-2002).]