In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fine Print...

GrandWizardGrandWizard Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
I was just wondering if anyone else reads the fine print ????I was looking at the front of my State issued Concealed Carry Permit, here is what it say's."I herby certify that the person described hereon has been granted the privilege of carrying a concealed weapon in compliance with ********* revised state statute"Let's look at this for a minute. Some state offical has granted me the "privilege" of carrying a concealed weapon ?"A special right or immunity granted to a person or group "Very interesting, wouldn't you agree ?Let us look at the Second Amendment for just a moment...."A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"The Second Amendment says it is my "right" to bear arms. The State says it is a "privilege" When my CCW expires, should I renew it or just carry, because it's my right.Opinions ?????

Comments

• Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put me down for an "Oh h**l yeah!" on that one. I fully expect Kalifornication will be the last, if ever, to allow CCW. And yes, you will be constitutionally correct, but as we all know, modern law has no relation to the constitution.
  • Options
    4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    my permit states-"permit to carry concealed weapon". it is rather simple to get a permit in my state pay $15 and answer one page of questions. they do a background check and judge issues a permit. this takes about 2 to 3 weeks providing you have a clear record.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    DANO- Where does it say you cant carry concealed? It also does not say what kind of specific arms you can own. So, I guess one could make the argument that you cant carry pistols at all, being that the amendment does not specifically say that you can bear pistols. How about shotguns? Does not say you can keep and bear shotguns. Is the right to bear shotguns also not protected, as is the right to carry concealed not protected?Common sense would clearly dictate that any interference by the government with respect to arms, , in any way whatsoever, is clearly off limits
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    GrandWizardGrandWizard Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    dano, Do you speak from a Christian Ethic or Law inforcement ??
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Guess it depends on the State as to "Privileges" you may have.I don't have a "Privilege" I have a License to carry a "Concealed Weapon, or Firearm" in accordance with state statues. Second Amendment is not referenced or is there any fine print.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Well, mine is a "License To Carry Concealed Pistol", and says "The person described hereon is licensed to carry concealed pistols as described by law until the expiration date shown above."Pistols?????So, revolvers are out?Any type of concealed long gun is out?Hmmmmm.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    RUGERNUT3RUGERNUT3 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Texas has a strange standard about guns, handguns or long guns...but you can carry concealed. As long as you have a clean record, fill out more paper work than the armed services did on you, get fingerprinted for the agencies from local all the way up to fedral,,and smile good for your photo ID...no prob! I DO NOT have a prob. with any of that actually, has to weed out some real loosers, oh yeah your written test on the laws, range test, and about 300 bucks for the state and certified instructor. But...here in Dallas county as long as the weapon itself is legal by local and federal standards I can legally carry a long gun, shotgun or rifle down the streets LOADED as long as I am not carrying it in a menacing way. NO PERMIT NEEDED.Over in Dallas they have had a long term argument over at the school board between the hispanics,whites and blacks (about everything). When it finally boils over now and then, you'll see on the news the Black Panther group marching with their shotguns,rifles. You can still carry a long gun in your truck in a rifle rack, course I dont think if you parked it would be there when you got back!So go figure, shot by 12ga. 00...or by .06..just as shot as you would be with a .45 1911!. There are some very vague handgun laws too though, if you dont have a permit. Lots there depends on the cop who stops you, your attitude,circumstance..and record. I know other people, myself included that prior to us having the right to carry that were stopped by highway patrol,local cops while having loaded handguns in our trucks and nobody was arrested, this has been in the last 7 years or so, I think we have had the right to carry about 5-6 now. Are other states as liberal? Has never been a big deal here in Texas...
    "ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE!
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    AL - They run a criminal history, you pay $10-$20 (depending on your county), and they issue your permit on the spot. Takes 15 minutes.
  • Options
    7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pennsylvania is somewhat leniant with the carry laws. Handguns for protection MUST be carry concealed at all times, open carry is fine as long as you are in the act of hunting or fishing. Open carry in the woods is a touchy subject if you are just walking. Shotguns and rifles in the vehicle loaded? DON'T DO IT! PA Game Commision will have your hide for lunch. No matter if you do not hunt PA Game law strictly prohibits loaded long guns in vehicles or even touching a vehicle,example, a fella was arrested last deer season for laying a loaded rifle on the bed of his truck while he was getting ready to go in the woods. Under no circumstanses are we allowed to have a long gun loaded in or on a vehicle. Handguns is a different story depending on the permit. If it is a hunting fishing or a target use permit do not conceal it or load it while in a public place. PA is liberal in some ways you just gotta pay attention to the rules.
    when all else fails........................
  • Options
    ClairClair Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are right 7 mag.I was a deputy in the Pa game commission from 77 to 84.That law made no sense to me. The law reads no loaded gun in or apon.I would think it safer to lay a gun on the bed of a pickup, then to lean it up against a vehicle ( which is legal ) go figure.