In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Biggest gun you have carried?

Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
edited March 2003 in General Discussion
I am looking at different 1911 frames for a possible carry and I started wondering how big some of you have gone on a consistent basis, and how hard it was to hide. I assume no one has gone as big as Dirty Harry, but I could be wrong. Just for fun does anyone care to share?

"I've got a firm policy on gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it."
- Clint Eastwood

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I sometimes carry my US ARMY 1911A1, use a high ride holster, keeps it nicely under my jacket, and flat against my *.. does get heavy after a while, so realy rather carry the AMT .380, or the Colt MkIv .380, or sometimes my colt junior .25, or on rare occasion, my Colt Detective Special, or,, well I guess you get the Idea

Pepe_stand3.jpg

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"

Blue_star-eagle.gif
  • Options
    SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    Sometimes I pick up my buddies Barret 82 and try to shoulder it.. Its pretty big.. It don't shoulder to well..
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I assume no one has gone as big as Dirty Harry

Not as a ccw, But for hunting a Ruger Black hawk .44 Mag with a 10" bbl [;)]

How about the new LAPD SWAT model? That is one nice pice of equipment!

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif

VIRTUTS GLORIA MERCES
  • Options
    elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carried a 1911 in a shoulder rig when I worked security at the hospital you would be hard pressed to see it under a coat. I think
    it was a jack * rig.

bull.txt
    col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    O give me a home where no democrats roam
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I carry a Glock 21 regularly, sometimes I'll carry a Hi-Power. Neither are really BIG, but they do take a little work to conceal well. When I get a good holster for my 6" S&W M28 I might put it in the line-up too.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a Llama Mini Max .40S&W, which is nothing but a cheap 1911 clone on a regular basis with no problems hiding it or discomfort. I either use an Uncle Mikes inside the pants holster of just plop it into a jacket pocket. Once just to be funny I carried my scoped Taurus M44 8 3/8" .44mag in a shoulder holster under a heavy coat while out on the town for a day. Just wanted to see if I could "mingle" with the crowds in the shopping centers and such while carrying it. Was feeling oinery that day[:D]

magnum.gif

email.gif
  • Options
    mudcatmudcat Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually carry a kimber pro carry II in a milt sparks executive companion iwb holster. for me the weight of the pro carry is not a big issue and i can conceal it very well in the summer under a loose fitting shirt. never tried to carry a full size 1911. i think that it would be too heavy to take for very long.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joe I find my Glock 21 is much lighter to carry all day at the shop than my Colt Government Model. Either one is easily concealed under a t-shirt or sweat shirt untucked.

I'm really addicted to Fobus paddle holsters, have one for every handgun I own almost.

Don't own any small pistols too tempting to carry outside home or shop. Not worth the felony here in Illinois.

Regards,
    Pistol-02.gif
    FREE IRAQ
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Biggest that I have carried, with help, 106mm recoiless rifle,
    while in USMC.
    Concealed, 1911a1 quite often, S/W Mdl#29 44mag 6" barrel only a couple of times, too dang heavy.
    Daily carry Berretta 8357 in .357sig
    Walte
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Drobs, the weight is neglible, I was talking about size. As far as weight, I forget about the Glock while the 1911 is constantly reminding me that it is sitting on my hip. The 1911 isn't that heavy, but it is noticeable and sometimes uncomfortable. What holster do you use for your G21?
  • Options
    charger_rt440charger_rt440 Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Berreta 96 with an extra mag in my pocket.
    Big guys can conceal larger guns easier..[:D]

Stress--This happens when the brain overrides the bodies basic urge to strangle the crap out of someone!!!!
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    When I did my stint as a corrections officer I was a transport driver and I carried a Para-Ordnance .45 1911 style automatic. I had the 15 round double stack mags for it and carried 3 of them, 1 in the gun and 2 on the belt. It was a lot more heavy and considerably larger than most other guns, but I am 6'1" and at the time was about 230 lbs and I have these large bear claws for hands. The gun fit my hand very well, much better than a standard slim 1911-A1 and the weight wasn't a concern for me because I was driving mostly. I often had prisoners respond to my sidearm saying that they had the urge to run but didn't because of the intimidating size of the gun handle sticking out of my duty holster.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Biggest I have gone is the one I carry now, a S&W 1076 10mm. It's a full size duty weapon, and all steel. I use leather pancake holsters that ride high enough to disappear under a sweater or short jacket, for the most part, and hug the gun close enough that the grip length is no problem -- though I do have a nylon shoulder rig for special circumstances. I may also be getting a hi-ride paddle holster for the 1076 soon as well; I really liked the one I used with my Glock 21, which was similarly sized. You can carry a Dirty Harry or a longslide 1911 but then it's time to go to a vertical shoulder holster, in my humble opinion.

Personally, given the choice I would select an alloy frame 1911 variant to save on the weight. There is really no downside and a comfortable gun will be carried more.

Life NRA Member

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
  • Options
    lurkerlurker Member Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will sometimes carry my Thunder 5 cross loaded with 410 and 41 long colts; wear it holstered on my belt on the RH side under a jacket. It's a big and heavy rig, and I tend to lean a little when wearing it!
  • Options
    LABWILDLABWILD Member Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry my Desert Eagle .50 AE for deer hunting. I have not taken a deer with it yet, but am hoping.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Para-Ordnance P-13

It was easy to hide because I carried it in the winter under heavy clothing and a big leather bomber.
  • Options
    BufflerBuffler Member Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just got a 45LC/410 shotgun.REVOLVER in...YEA! Break
    my Wrist!NO Need, NO Deed, BE SAFE!! Buffler
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Desert Eagle .50AE

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    VarmintmistVarmintmist Member Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Full size 1911, IWB open top Safariland. Holds it high enough that a loose shirt covers it nicely. If the tails are short enough then i can wear the shirt tucked in.

Biggest overall is a custom 06 Mauser action 24in heavy sporter bbl in a manlichher stock

Those people who see nothing but grey areas, no black and white, are lost in the fog.
  • Options
    LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can carry my Colt Anaconda 44 mag. 8 inch completly concealed in a shoulder holster if I am wearing a light jacket.
    It weighs a little much to make it an everyday carry gun but is nice if I want a little more than my S&W 357.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does Two Count?
    On Occassion I have carried a Ruger KP-85MKII and a P-89 at the same time.

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    For concealed carry, I have carried Models 66 and 686 Smiths, both four inchers. Shoulder holsters and pancakes.

Also a Colt Government in an original Roy Baker Pancake and in a *.

The biggest gun I carry concealed now is a SIG P229 in a Jim Burke holster.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Carried a 30 carbine ruger of all things up north when I could wear a coat 7 or 8 months a year.Back home now I carry a G23 and a Colt Agent,hip and boot.Really love the little Colt a lot.

my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    BiggerHammer24BiggerHammer24 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the Hammer I have a anaconda 4" when I have to go to the bad part of the city, if I am just runing I carry a S/W 4014 40cal but the bigest responce was when I had a AMT 30 cal longslide it makes some eyes get big when you take it out of a shoulder rig and the guy next to you don't think your well/just a little fella. But in a shoulder rig I find if you get a good rig that fits you it makes a differnce in comfert. BiggerHammer [B)]
  • Options
    BiggerHammer24BiggerHammer24 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the Hammer I have a anaconda 4" when I have to go to the bad part of the city, if I am just runing I carry a S/W 4014 40cal but the bigest responce was when I had a AMT 30 cal longslide it makes some eyes get big when you take it out of a shoulder rig and the guy next to you don't think your well/just a little fella. But in a shoulder rig I find if you get a good rig that fits you it makes a differnce in comfert. BiggerHammer [B)]
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry everything from a p-232 to a springfield 1911.im 6'2" and 285 and I casn carry a 1911 and it is not visible in a fobus paddle holster

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail:WNUNLEY@USIT.NET
  • Options
    punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Just for $hits and giggles one day I carried my TC Contender with a scoped Super 14 30-30 bbl in a cross the chest Uncle Mikes rig and a heavy coat. No one knew, or were afraid to ask.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Biggest for me was a Coonan Model B. .357 auto. It looks like a Colt .45 on steroids. Have a Miami Vice Classic holster modified to carry it. Hides just as good as a full size Colt auto.
  • Options
    rpo242rpo242 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Biggest I have carried-- 44 Desert Eagle, or a Ruger Redhawk 44.
    Each in a verticle shoulder holster.

You can't miss fast enough.
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    3.5 inch rocket launcher and an M-79 grenade launcher.

M16.gif
    Where there is no vision,the people perish!
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    quote:3.5 inch rocket launcher
    Was it 3.5 inch before or after launching????[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]

pablue.gif

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • Options
    VonflakVonflak Member Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I mexican carry a 1991A1 regularly. In my waistband in the back on my strong side. I angle it so that the grip is parallel to my back. A long T-shirt is enough to hide it. Comfortable when driving but would be hard to get to instantly. I had new wood checkerd grip but they were too scratchy, replaced them with old G.I. double diamond that are worn smooth (adds a bit of nostalgia too).

Cpl RRG, Oxidation NCO
    byf
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I will just have to be different. An Uzi pistol with an attached shoulder rig under a jacket.
  • Options
    BerettafanBerettafan Member Posts: 592 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My usual carry weapons are two full size Beretta .40 cals. Sometimes I'll take my dad's S&W 686 out. It just depends...

All it takes for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing.

For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration; the streets are safer, the police are more effective, and the rest of the world will follow us into history--Hitler 1937
  • Options
    Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I regularly carry a full size Springfield Armory 1911.

Awhile back, when I was younger and had no cash (but a fresh CCW), the old man opened the safe to me after dinner one night and told me to pick out a loaner.

He didn't have much in the handgun catagory, so I ended up with a S&W Model 629 .44 Magnum.

That was a fun carry piece. Never knew when I'd have to take out a charging rhino loose from the zoo, but it was good to be prepared. lol

www.pacificnorthwestmilitia.com