In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NICS trick!!!!!!!!

changdaochangdao Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Went to a gun show in Birch Run Sunday and bought a SA standard loaded M1A. The guy I bought it from was a dealer, so I told him that I`m one of the ATF`s chosen few that always gets delayed. Usually they call back within 10 minutes; hunting season takes 30 minutes; Christmas took over an hour. The guy ask me if I use my social security number when filling out the yellow form. I replied yes; I was told by several dealers that the more info you put down, the better. He said that the truth is that the more info, the worse it will be. He advised me to forget the SS# and he`d call it in. Lo and behold, my purchace was approved instantly! If any of you are the delay plagued types, try it! Worded for me!
No good deed goes unpunished

Comments

• Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought that the ss# was required on the forms? it worked without it huh?
    If you want my guns you will have to kill me first. I was born free and to take that from me you better be ready to fight.
  • blazeblaze Member Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no, its not req'd, but I usually always put it,on my last 2 purchases, once it took only about 5 minutes, the next time it took over 2 1/2 hours, so I dont think it really makes no difference.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    here is what NICS tole me, people out there copy identities as you know. They use SS# when they can find them and become you or part of you for whatever reason. They told me I get delayed all the time because they had to check to see if I was the one who was supposed to have the # or if it was john doe who has been using it some 2000 miles from here. As they checked, they found enough use of that # around where I live to prove it was my # and not the other person/persons. Therefore, they proved I was the real McCoy.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SS is not required, hwever it has been my experience that even retailers think it is mandatory. I have gotten into arguments with retailers, 'cause they insist I put my ss# on the form- I never do, and I always get the gun.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • coast2coastcoast2coast Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never put my SS# on the form since it says that it is "optional" - but I have been delayed each of the last three guns, once for 2 days at Christmas time)! The last time was only 1/2 hour, but of course I'd left the store and had to drive all the way back to get the gun. This guy advised me that it's probably beacuse I don't put my SS#. Does anyone really know the process?
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    coast2coast, you got delayed around christmas because that time of year has the highest suicide rate, at least that is what a dealer told me. He said that in one of the dealers&authorities meetings they attend, the question was asked and that is what the ATF rep told him.
  • Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just dealt with this yesterday. The customer has a clean record, but someone with his name has been a bad boy. So, we give the social security number to NICS. Still delayed. It ended up being delayed for the full 3 day wait. I called NICS back to see what the hell was going on. I know the guy on a customer level and he has never been arrested in his life. I say to NICS "Why is it still delayed? He's clean and you have his social security number."Listen closely, here goes: NICS said to me "We do not use the social security numbers for the background check. It's for our records only."I kid you not. That's the short story. I'll expand later. Gotta run to work.