In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dangerous Beretta

elmos608elmos608 Member Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
I just picked up a new beretta 96 Centurion model the other day. I couldn't resist, the price was right. I love the night sights and the double action is very nice. Anyway, my question is this, is the Beretta a safe gun? I know that I've heard stories about the slide breaking in the 92 models and hitting you in the face, sometimes killing you. Is this true or just misinformation. I also remember hearing something about the slide braking because of extended use of +P ammunition. If you have any thoughts or information on this let me know. thanks

Comments

• boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    Don't worry, the slide breaking on a Beretta and killing you won't happen more than once. And it will be so fast you'll never know what hit you.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe it had something to do with the military using sub-machine-gun ammo in the Beretta to test it for compatability for cross-overs with Spec Forces weapons. It was abused and the "slide incident" rumor has been going around ever since.
  • 44.Special44.Special Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank God I just got my new Beretta Mod. 96. 500 bucks
  • 87 Shark87 Shark Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the early 96's were rumored to have problems with the slides cracking from using hi-pressure ammo.The slides on the 96's have since been beefed up and Beretta does not recommend using high-pressure ammo for extended periods of time.Beretta 92's and 96's are among the most dependable and durable pistols on the market.That's why the 92 (M9) was chosen by the US military.
  • .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is the "S" in 92FS. It indicates the modification has been made to catch the slide in the unlikely event it does break in this way. The problem in question occurred only after several thousand rounds had been fired, which isn't something likely for a civilian gun, but common for a military one.
  • TLynnTLynn Member Posts: 353 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a Beretta 92F - never has had a problem with it in the 16 years that it has been in the family.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    87 Shark -- That is not why the M9 was chosen by the military. It had more to do with price and a promise to open a factory in the U.S. and create jobs. The M9 didn't fare too well against the competition in the tests.
  • Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the whole thing about the slide flying off goes hand in hand with the whole firing underwater thing.