In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Direct Pick-up in an Auction

BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
The winner of an auction of mine lives close enough to me that he wants to drive to my house and pick up the gun directly.I know this would be legal if it was through the Want-Ad Digest or something like that, but since I've run the auction on Gunbroker, am I obligated now to do an FFL transfer or see to it that a NICS check is done?

Comments

• BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Addendum: Would it be prudent to make out a bill of sale since the guy is coming in person? Or is the auction record good enough?
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He's gonna get a look at your age and ask to see your mom, I would. So you probably need to ask her what she thinks.Clouder..
  • Hans GrueberHans Grueber Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't you just cancel the auction and sell it privatly?
    edited November -1
    Hans:Cant cancel it now. It's almost done and the guy has already bid.
  • Hans GrueberHans Grueber Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What if he retracted his bid?
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    As long as you are in the same state it is just like a private sale. Check his ID and make out a bill of sale. You are just paying for the advertizing here, and no obligation under law requires you to do anything different (depending on your state still allowing private sales).
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
    edited November -1
    I'd do it if I got some sort of feedback from the higher-ups on the legality of that particular action, Hans.It sounds much simpler and easier to me, but I dont want to break the rules.[This message has been edited by Bullzeye (edited 02-23-2002).]
  • adminadmin Member, Administrator Posts: 1,079 admin
    edited November -1
    The auction rules require that all transactions be made in strict accordance with all applicable laws. Although in-person sales may be legal we strongly recommend that all transactions be handled through an FFL. Some states (like CA) do not allow private party transfers without going through an FFL. Even where private party sales are legal you are forbidden to sell a gun to anyone who is not allowed to own one: convicted felons, mentally ill, minors, as so on. By using an FFL you have the background check that eliminates potentially illegal buyers. I don't think that anyone would want to sell a gun to a person only to later learn that he had a criminal record and committed a murder with it. Not to even mention the civil and potentially criminal liability that you as the seller would face in such a situation.Transfering through an FFL is very cheap insurance against this sort of nightmare and we strongly recommend that you always use an FFL for transfer even when a private party sale might be legal.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bullzeye,Personally I would have him meet you at your dealers place of business and do the transfer ... that way all bases are covered and you aren't letting someone you dont know into your home to show them a gun ... Personally I've bought through the news paper but would never sell that way ... you don't "OWE" him a privite sale, and you do have it in your ad "FFL transfer only" or something to that effect don't you?
    Here's a thought: Let's make criminals responsible for their crimes ... ...Not blame society and the tools they use!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • pops401pops401 Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Meet him at your FFL's place, and have the FFL do the transfer. You'll save yourself the trouble of packing, and him the S&H charges, and everything will be legal. One less story for the anti's. Win Win for all.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a ChiCom M14 from here.The seller was 150 miles away,still in AR.He had a friend(state trooper) bring it to the next fun show in Ft Smith.We met,I showed ID and it was mine.Now has a NM rear sight,Trw trigger group and shoots 1.5 MOA with the ChiCom barrel.Headspace is perfect with the original Polytech bolt.cpermd