In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

UPDATE -- Is This a Little High Priced?

RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I have a Fishing/Hunting vehicle that doesn't get much use. It is a 1990 Full Size Bronco with a 5.0L engine. I need to use it for about a week beginning next week. I went over it and it doesn't "warm-up" past the "C" for cold on the temperature gauge. I called the Local Ford Dealer and asked how much time it would take and what the cost would be to replace the thermostat in the engine.........I nearly fell off my chair when they came back and said "the book says just a little over an hour......and with the parts and labor, it would be $133.30 plus sales tax!"

I called AutoZone and they said the "premium" thermostat was $11.95 and the gasket was 85 cents.................. or the "cheaper" one was only $7.95. If Ford gets twice that for the parts for the job, they must be charging $100.00 an hour for labor......... What am I missing here? I questioned if there was some mistake, but was assured that was the cost!

Anybody pay this much for Mechanic work?????

I Miss The World I Grew Up In!

Comments

• gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    They are screwing you. A dealership did the same thing to me. I had a bad heater core and they said it would be $575 to install it. The part was $40. I did it myself with the help of a manual I bought at the auto parts store. Took a while but I saved alot of $$$$

Larry
  • elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your getting ripped I had a flush and fill and a themostat changed just today on my 91 caddy 80.00

col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
  • RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is only two bolts holding the housing onto the engine. Looks like the hard part might be emptying out the antifreeze into a container and re-installing it afterwards.....

I've got to be missing something here! Don't suppose they just don't want the job, do you?

• FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: I called the Local Ford Dealer and asked how much time it would take and what the cost would be to replace the thermostat in the engine

thermostat $12 tops
    Three bolts, gasket, thermostat, 15 min tops.

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][/img]
  • ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All dealerships are pirates when it comes to repairs.They have a lot of overhad,but they still get too much money for most work,IMHO.
    Years ago a neighbor had a thermo replaced at a dealer..next day the car overheated again.I got home and pulled it out for him.......SAME OLD RUSTY THERMO IT ALWAYS HAD!!Sure,coulda been an "oversight"......

Throckmortons' the alias,cas is the game.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What? I would thank em' for letting me know ahead of time. I could change it out in less than 20 minutes. Don't forget the gasket sealer ( permatex ) and start each bolt finger tight and do not overtighten.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,063 ******
    edited November -1
    On most engines, the thermostat is easy to get at. Do it yourself and buy ammo with the difference.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Do it yourself and buy ammo with the difference.

Dang David, I like how you think![:D]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, why would you even call about changing the thermostat on 302cid anyway? Did you ever think that maybe your coolant temp. sensor is just bad? Maybe the thermostat is just fine.

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.
    - .- -.- . / -- -.-- / .- -.. ...- .. ... . --..-- / .. .----. -- / -. --- - / ..- ... .. -. --. / .. - / .- -. -.-- .-- .- -.-- .-.-.-
    Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.
    .-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / .- / ... . -..- ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / - .-. .- -. ... -- .. - - . -.. / -.. .. ... . .- ... . .-.-.-
    If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
    sound
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BE CAREFUL with the antifreeze! Just a couple swallows will kill your pets DEAD! [V]

Make SURE to dispose of it, and then hose the entire area down well, just in case you did spill any!

Antifreeze poisoning is a terrible death.......

Merc

Insignia?

Nos nullus habitum rancidum insignia!

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Dealer shop labor is around 80-100 bucks per hour around here. Their parts are about a three hundred percent mark up over the parts stores. Minimum labor charge is one hour whether it takes 1 minute or 59 so a $10 thermostat that takes ten minutes to install is $110-130 plus tax. Try the phone company for repairing lines in the house at $65/15 minutes and 16 minutes is half an hour, 31 minutes is charged at 45 etc.. and they always take atleast 61 minutes to find the problem and fix it. That is 65x5=325 dollars for a three dollar phone jack.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $133.30 dealer price.
    Yup, sounds about right for a 15 minute $15 job.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • BigBoreRobBigBoreRob Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Make shure you have plenty of pure grain alcahol on hand, its the only cure for antifreeze poisoning.
    Honest it realy is. I used to be on an ambulance and we hade to make a lights and siren run to the liquer store for a bottle for the hospital one time.

Ill never understand why a women would dedicate her entire life to making one man miserable when she could make so many men happy
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Posted - 02/04/2004 : 11:22:30 PM
    Hello, why would you even call about changing the thermostat on 302cid anyway? Did you ever think that maybe your coolant temp. sensor is just bad? Maybe the thermostat is just fine.

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.
    - .- -.- . / -- -.-- / .- -.. ...- .. ... . --..-- / .. .----. -- / -. --- - / ..- ... .. -. --. / .. - / .- -. -.-- .-- .- -.-- .-.-.-
    Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.
    .-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / .- / ... . -..- ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / - .-. .- -. ... -- .. - - . -.. / -.. .. ... . .- ... . .-.-.-
    If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?

Or you might have a bad guage or bad wiring the unless you have a failsafe thermostat (the one that fails in the open position) the thermostat is not likely to be the problem.
    edited November -1
    Let it warm up real good......radiator only barely warm, heater is blowing air that is just barely warm enough to NOT be called COLD. Engine isn't warming up........

I shall visit Auto Zone this morning..... If it takes me three times the time estimate...... it shouldn't be a big deal from the looks of this. Besides, as Nunn said, "I can use the other money for Ammo!" Looks like the savings is going to be enough to get at least 1,000 rounds for the AK....... or so!

I'll let you guys know how it turns out later this evening........

• RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    Same problem in my grand cherokee a couple weeks ago. replaced it myself in about 20 minutes. im not mechanically inclinded at all ,just do like I did and check for leaks once in awhile after your done and you will do fine.
  • reb8600reb8600 Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would bet on the thermostat. I have changed a lot of them on fords. It is about an hour to an hour and a half job. Becareful when you put it back together, if it slips in the housing and dont sit right it will leak around the gasket and you will be taking it out again. As you tighten it make sure it hasnt slipped. If you over tighten the 2 bolts and it has slipped you can break the cast housing. The ones on the fords can be a little hard to get back together. Shop rate for most ford dealers in Utah is $75 an hour. Be careful of the autozone parts, I have had a lot of problems with them in the last year or so, I have started buying them from the dealer or pepboys. Someplace that installs the parts they sell are going to be better quality. Just replaced the glow plugs on my truck and the dealer was actually cheaper.

Guncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Labor rates, you just gotta love them dealers.
    Current typical labor rates:
    San Franciso ( All union shops there) $110-$120 hr
    Los Angeles (No union shops there) $80-$95 hr
    NYC $85-$100 hr
    Boston $80-$95 hr
    Dallas $75-$85 hr
    Miami $80-$98 hr
    Missippi $40-$55 hr
    Alabama $40-$55 hr
    The problem: dealerships cant find or retain good mechanics, most mechanics with under 5yrs experiance move on for better $, huge turn over.
    A journeyman mechanic is worth his weight in gold to the dealership, and he is usually paid 40% of the labor rate.
    A mechanic with under 5yrs experiance is usually paid 20-25% of the labor rate due to "come backs" or improper repairs, having to be repaired again.
    Another sad point is a mechanic has to invest at least $10,000 in tools of the trade, this does not include the high dollar computer diagnostic machines which for a professional model cost around $10,000-$15,000, then add another $3,000-$5,000 per year for software updates.
    As for as the dealer qouting from the flat rate labor manual, the time given to perform a repair function is based upon a jounrneyman mechanic to perform the repair, not a apprentice mechanic!
    My 2003 Chiltons book shows .8 hrs to R&R the thermostat, this does not include a cooling system checkout which is another .5 hr.
    There is nothing worse than to replace a thermostat and releasing the car to the customer. Only to find out the raditor is clogged, a water pump with the impellers being ate off (no signs of leaks from pump weep hole) or worse a partialy blown head gasket.
    Yep it happens, because the customer did not want to pay the extra 1/2 hr lbr to do a coolant system check.
    Then guess who cathes the crap, yep the poor old service writer, who had tried to sell the extra 1/2 hrs lbr. Which the customer refused.
    Been on both sides, and they both suck....
    Walte
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Just replaced one on my wifes car. It had split and was fully open. Water continually circulated and never had the opportunity to build any heat thus no heat going to the heater. Not good at -20. The most difficult job about changing out a thermostat is the location on some vehicles. The other thing is that if that wasn't the problem you haven't invested a lot of money on something the shop would have tried first anyway.
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SaxonPig
    In 1981 my mother was charged $143 by the Chevy dealer to replace a headlight. Not a rotating or hide-away or anything fancy, just a regular, old take it out with four screws headlight bulb. This was $143 in 1981 dollars. They charged $45 for the light and $98 labor. The light was $7.95 at Napa and I could do it in 30 minutes and I know a pro mechanic would be faster.

thumbnail.jpg
    The opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of any third party or the policy of any state agency.

thumbnail.jpg
    I never imagined that "bad luck" could be passed down as a gene.[:D]

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    On most engines, the thermostat is easy to get at. Do it yourself and buy ammo with the difference.

Ya, no need to empty the antifreeze usually. 2 bolts + gasket and walla (sp??)[:p] 5-10 minutes

BTW, not familiar with your Bronco but can't possibly be more complicated than that.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BigBoreRob

Make shure you have plenty of pure grain alcahol on hand, its the only cure for antifreeze poisoning.
    Honest it realy is. I used to be on an ambulance and we hade to make a lights and siren run to the liquer store for a bottle for the hospital one time.

True, ethylene glycol ingestion is cured with supportive care and alcohol. Never used it myself but am curious what type of alcohol we stock at the hospital.[;)][:D]

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
    edited November -1
    ***UPDATE***

Got a "Failsafe" Thermostat and Gasket from AutoZone.......$13.65.
    Drained the Coolant in a 5 Gallon Plastic Bucket purchased from Home Depot for $2.00. Had to loosed the hose clamp on the By-Pass hose because it was in the way of one of the two mounting bolts on the Thermostat housing. Removed the two bolts, cleaned the gasket surfaces and put on the new gasket and thermostat and put it back together. Used a large plastic funnel found in the "junk box" in the corner of the Garage to pour the Coolant back into the engine. Started the Bronco up and let it run........Temperature gauge climbed into the "Normal" range and the heater blew nice and warm.........all is well! Total Cost of $15.78 with all the Sales Tax.....and less than an hour of my time........Yep, AMMO Money was left over!!!!! I can see right now it doesn't pay to go to the "Dealer" for much of anything....... Sure beats $133.30 plus tax.........!!!!!

Thanks to all that encouraged me to do it myself......IT WAS FUN!!!!

And the "SAVINGS" was GREAT!!!!