In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

With his gun

soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
edited May 2003 in General Discussion
Lost my boyhood friend and hunting companion last summer.Seems he took the day of from work towards the end of summer.Knowing the weather would soon turn cooler he said It`s too nice to work,I`m going fishing.He would save vacation days and do this every so often.He went fishing and never came home.Divers found his body several days later in about 12 ft of water.The autopsy reported that he had drowned.He didn`t have a heart attack ,just drowned.He could swim like a fish so it surprised everyone.
His wife gave me his pop up blind that we had just gone to Cabelas and bought for deer hunting.We were going to hunt together from the blind on opening day.On opening day I hunted alone in the blind.One chair for me ,one empty chair for my friend.I was determined to hunt from the blind till I took a deer.I took a big fat doe on opening day from that blind.
I also bought his turkey hunting gun.He always bragged about his Mossburg 835 being one heck of a turkey killer and it was. After his funeral his brother,nephew and I went to the edge of the woods where I have a fire pit and ate the last turkey he had taken with that gun.We stood facing the trail leading into the woods and fired a salute with our shotguns .We then drank several of his favorite beers and ate the turkey.
He was looking forward to teaching his nephew to turkey hunt as his father had never shown any interest in it.This spring his father decided to give it a try.I was pleased to be hunting with them as I didn`t really want to hunt alone.Young Joey took a nice jake two weekends ago and now both father and son are hooked. I hunted the rest of my season alone as they had other plans for the Memorial Day weekend.I was determined to take my next turkey with the shotgun that my friend had always bragged on.I hunted harder than I ever had but was haveing a difficult time getting close enough to take a bird.Each time I would pattern a bird the next day something would happen and the bird would change his habits.I hunted at least 5 hrs a day all weekend.I also took tuesday off just in case I needed it to get a bird. It`s a good thing I did.I stumbled onto a flock of jakes and by accident on sunday.I went back monday but was not early enough and they spotted me coming in.Tuesday I arrived plenty early and snuck in from the back road.I didn`t expect any birds for several hours so I brought a magazine to read. After several hours I got up and took a peak into the field where I expected to see the birds come from.I didn`t see the same bunch I had seen the previous two days.Only one bird was in the field.With my binoculars I could see this was no jake as he had a nice beard.From his location I figured I had a half hour before he would reach the top of the hill where four pasture lots come together.All the birds seem to enter the same pasture when they reach that particular spot.I got back in my blind to read a little more when I heard a noise about 10 yards ahead of me.It was a woodchuck and he was on to me.He watched me from a tree as I sat in my blind.I didn`t feel like I could scare him off without spooking the turkey.I lifted my gun to the top of the camo netting and moved the gun into shooting position.The woodchuck just watched.I thought,ok,you can stay.
I went back to reading and when I finished I picked up the gun and waited.In the blind I couldn`t see the turkey until he entered the corner of the field.At that point I could raise the gun as the bird would be momentarily out of sight behind some brush as he took several steps forward.When he would enter my field of view again I would be ready with the gun in place,waiting for him to take one more step.It all fell together just as I had hoped.He wasn`t the heaviest bird I have ever taken weighing in at 19 1/2 pounds. But he had a 10 1/4 inch beard and inch long spurs.And I had done it with his gun.I felt great as I looked to the sky and said we got him.Thank you my friend.I then took pictures of the turkey and his gun.It was the end of a beautiful spring hunting season for me.My first without my long time friend and turkey hunting buddy.I will always miss him.But a part of him will always be there in the warm spring woods as I will always hunt turkeys with his gun.
Sorry it`s so long,but I needed to say it.

Comments

• Options
    jetjet Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My friend and buisness asociate passed 5 years ago,not a day goes buy that I don't think of him.

His family and I talk more now that he's gone than we ever did before.
  • Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    The same here.He wanted to teach his nephew to hunt.In a way he is as when I am in the woods with him I always talk about his uncle and how we hunted a certain area. How we learned to hunt deer and learned there runs,bedding and escape routes.The kid is eager to learn and every corner of the woods and fields brings back another story about his uncle.Hey Joey, your uncle and I double tagged on a pair of turkeys right here.
  • Options
    cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry to hear about your friend, but if it means anything I think its pretty classy the way you kept his memory alive and paid your respects to him doing some of the things he loved best.
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Very nice story SS.I'm sure your friend is still hunting.Bet he's glad his gun is getting put to good use.Your good friends never leave you,not really.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    One real friend..perhaps two,in a lifetime..alls that is given us.You are truly blessed ...even if the physical presence was such a short time,he will always hunt and fish with you....

God,Guts,& GunsHave we lost all 3 ??
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, some things just need to be said.
    Lost my best friend a while back too.[:(]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    snowtiggersnowtigger Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lost a very good friend just before hunting season last fall. He had just bought a new .458 mag. He was always going to bring it over, so we could go out and shoot it. We never did... I now own it i. I never really wanted a 458, but the next moose I kill will have a hell of a hole in it.

It ain't what you shoot, it's what you hit.